PDA

View Full Version : Incarnum Warforged? [3.5]

NineThePuma
2011-03-07, 12:18 AM
So the idea here is kinda ridiculous to me, but I want other peoples opinions. Not that I don't trust the normal sounding boards for my ideas, but sometimes it pays to get a broader scope.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-07, 12:34 AM
You you meaning a warforged that takes levels in an incarnum-using class, or a homebrewed warforged varient like Psi-forged, but with incarnum instead of psionics?

Warforged are living constructs, so why can't they have soul energy?

NineThePuma
2011-03-07, 12:41 AM
Because they're constructs? They're living in the same way the Deathless are. But yes, the former.

I'm just tripping over it in my head is all.

Bugbeartrap
2011-03-07, 12:53 AM
I think by the rules and the eberron fluff, this is acceptable. Warforged are living constucts, they are closer to humans than your deathless example. Deathless are just undead with the polarity reversed; Warforged are more like humans except stone and wood instead of flesh and blood.

Bakkan
2011-03-07, 01:13 PM
I think it would be awesome. You could even fluff it that the Warforged is consciously trying to make his soul more "human" by borrowing from the random humanoid soul energy (incarnum) floating around out there. Only he can't figure out how to add it to his soul, so he adds it to his body in an attempt to learn humanity by exposing himself to it.

Mechanically, it works within the rules, and would work even with an Incarnate as long as you stay away from the soulmelds allowing saves (since you will have a penalty to Wis). In fact, a Warfoged Incarnate would be one of the more self-sufficient characters out of the box, with no need to eat, sleep, or breathe, a host of immunities, and flight and/or darkvision and/or ranged touch attacks and/or skill bonuses and/or incarnum weapons and/or so much more as class features. The Incarnate and Totemist are at best Tier 3 classes, but in my experience they are very fun. If you go Incarnate, take a look at Lightning Gauntlets + Incarnum Weapon + Knowledge Devotion (feat, Complete Champion). I comboed those in a game and has hitting with a very decent attack bonus and dealing something like 1d8+5d6+7 damage per hit at level 6. Not as good as a dedicated meleer, but still nice for a Jack-of-all-Trades

Darth Stabber
2011-03-07, 01:24 PM
I like this idea actually. A machine trying to understand life, incarnum seems like a natural branch of that study. I was already considering a Vow of Poverty Totemist build, and Warforged is an awesome race for totemist (totemist is even more awesome when you have a natural weapon first).

NineThePuma
2011-03-07, 01:27 PM
Alright, as a total aside, how well does Incarnum and Binding mesh, fluffwise?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-03-07, 01:40 PM
Alright, as a total aside, how well does Incarnum and Binding mesh, fluffwise?

You got soul in your soul! Fluff wise it works rather well, as on the one hand you're using the souls of things yet born and on the other hand, you're using the souls of things no longer in existence.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-07, 03:07 PM
Has anyone homebrewed an Incarnate/binder PRC?

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-07, 03:16 PM
Because they're constructs? They're living in the same way the Deathless are. But yes, the former.

I'm just tripping over it in my head is all.

Except... nooo?

Deathless are not alive.

Living constructs are living creatures. Deathless are not. Warforged, by the way, are mostly made out of (living) wood and other plant matter.

Psyren
2011-03-07, 04:05 PM
Warforged meldshapers are fine, L2P.

All right, I kid. But seriously, if it has a soul - represented to an extent in D&D via the Con score - it's viable for Incarnum.

I personally love to fluff my Warforged Binders and Meldshapers as a gestalt entity of souls occupying a single shell, along the lines of Many-As-One (Planescape) or Ermac (Mortal Kombat.) This could result in some hilarious implications for a Warforged Binder that fails all his binding checks and gets pushed around by the 3-6 supersouls vying for control of him.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-03-07, 04:12 PM
Has anyone homebrewed an Incarnate/binder PRC?

Ask and you shall receive! (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22)

Greenish
2011-03-07, 04:46 PM
If you go Incarnate, take a look at Lightning Gauntlets + Incarnum Weapon + Knowledge Devotion (feat, Complete Champion). I comboed those in a gameHow do you combo Incarnate Weapon and Lightning Gauntlets into the same attack?

Cheesy74
2011-03-07, 05:10 PM
The fluff I've wanted to go for for a while totally ignores the "soul" fluff of incarnum and just flavors it as shaping new implements out of quicksilver and powering them and holding them in place with magic. I like the image of a Warforged whose body is covered with pores, constantly flowing with rivulets of mercury and morphing them into items he might need as the situation calls for it.

tanderson11
2011-03-07, 06:37 PM
Warforged meldshapers are fine, L2P.

All right, I kid. But seriously, if it has a soul - represented to an extent in D&D via the Con score - it's viable for Incarnum.

I personally love to fluff my Warforged Binders and Meldshapers as a gestalt entity of souls occupying a single shell, along the lines of Many-As-One (Planescape) or Ermac (Mortal Kombat.) This could result in some hilarious implications for a Warforged Binder that fails all his binding checks and gets pushed around by the 3-6 supersouls vying for control of him.

One of the most fun characters I have ever played had nearly identical fluff. A wizard was creating a panel of 9 warforged creatures, one for each alignment (this did not take place in Ebberon, so I had free reign of warforged fluff). His plan was to imbue each of the 9 warforged with the soul of a powerful hero from one of the alignments.

Of course some do-good adventurers attacked the wizard, one fireball later and the nine gems used to store the souls were shattered. Each soul sought the nearest receptacle, the inanimate warforged, being closest was suddenly flooded with nine souls.

He made an interesting character. I played him with some kind of split personality. Liable to switch personalities without any warning, which affected which soulmelds to which he had access. It was ridiculous fun, I don't think any character of mine has approached it in sheer awesome factor.

MeeposFire
2011-03-07, 08:29 PM
How do you combo Incarnate Weapon and Lightning Gauntlets into the same attack?

You bind lightning gauntlets to you hand chakra which lets you use lightning gauntlets with your weapon. You can choose any one attack and it is made against normal AC for that attack rather than touch (unless your normal attack effects touch like from wraith strike).

In races of Eberron it was said that there is a great debate on whether warforged have souls or not. More evidence was given for than against and it was more politically feasible to say they don't but they are allowed to be incarnum classes by default.

Greenish
2011-03-07, 09:49 PM
You bind lightning gauntlets to you hand chakraRight, completely forgot the chakra bind. I really should cook up a new Incarnate for a game sometime soon.

MeeposFire
2011-03-07, 09:50 PM
You should, incarnum is fun.