PDA

View Full Version : Failed UMD checks

thereaper
2011-03-07, 01:24 AM
Does failing a UMD check on a wand still use up a charge?

NekoJoker
2011-03-07, 01:32 AM
As far as a I know, yes. Everytime you blow a UMD check you also blow a charge on the wand.

Another note, if you ever get a Nat 1 on your d20, you can't activate that item for 24 hours.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-07, 01:40 AM
Another note, if you ever get a Nat 1 on your d20, you can't activate that item for 24 hours.

Note that this only happens if you also fail to meet the DC. So if you autosucceed, you don't run this risk.

Sith_Happens
2011-03-07, 01:50 AM
Does failing a UMD check on a wand still use up a charge?

No. Since the check is to see whether you can use the wand, if you fail the check then you have not used the wand, and therefore you have not used a charge.

sambo.
2011-03-07, 02:01 AM

i'm sure a creative DM can come up with far more hilarious and entertaining penalties for Nat 1s on UMD checks....

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-07, 09:23 AM
i'm sure a creative DM can come up with far more hilarious and entertaining penalties for Nat 1s on UMD checks....

He would also be a horrible DM. Fumbles are the Devil. :smalltongue:

begooler
2011-03-07, 12:47 PM

Level 1 campaign, beguiler tries to activate a wand of fox's cunning, he either nat 1'd or just failed enough to have a mishap. DM decided that a random member of the group was targeted (the LE monk) who grew giant fox ears for the duration of the spell.
A considerable part of the next session and a half was spent by the players and DM trying to come up with plot devices that would stop the monk from murdering the beguiler.