PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom Arcade Game

Pika...
2011-03-07, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYGNgb91MwU

OMG!

Has anyone played this beautiful thing? How old is it? Is it a good game?

A goal I have now is to one day own one of these machines for my garage/geek-cave. :smallbiggrin:

Whammydill
2011-03-07, 10:16 AM
Oh yes, me and my friends dropped many a coin into the 4 player one the local arcade had. Beat it many times. Shadow over Mystara, its sequel as well.

Starbuck_II
2011-03-07, 10:19 AM
I watched a Let's play of it.
It makes a decent adventure that you could DM (with minor adjustments).

Shademan
2011-03-07, 10:55 AM
played it, beat it, good times.
the plot of the second game was ...uhm... kinda stupid, or at least the esecution was poor. and that part where the thief just pulls out a deus ex mahcina and say she stole it in the first game (which she wasnt a part of)...
but we still loved it.

Those were some two pretty fun games

also, the thief was INCREDIBLY sexy!:smallbiggrin:

HenryHankovitch
2011-03-07, 12:09 PM
Both are great games, with surprising depth. There are hidden areas, secret weapons, and--amazingly for an arcade game--leveling and a basic inventory system.

In one of them there's a cursed sword, where if you try to pick it up something like 50 times, it suddenly turns into an awesome magic sword. (I don't recall whether it damages you, requiring you to pump coins in to actually unlock it.)

vageta31
2011-03-07, 12:16 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Blue Paladin
2011-03-07, 12:38 PM
and that part where the thief just pulls out a deus ex mahcina and say she stole it in the first game (which she wasnt a part of)...
but we still loved it.She wasn't part of the party... and since you never saw her, obviously she rolled well on her hiding checks. Truly she is a great thief!

also, the thief was INCREDIBLY sexy!Moriah (red), or Shannon (white)? I think I preferred Shannon back in the day. Or rather Kayla...

Both are great games, with surprising depth. There are hidden areas, secret weapons, and--amazingly for an arcade game--leveling and a basic inventory system.

In one of them there's a cursed sword, where if you try to pick it up something like 50 times, it suddenly turns into an awesome magic sword. (I don't recall whether it damages you, requiring you to pump coins in to actually unlock it.)Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (the sequel game)

There's a very good chance that the Cursed Sword 2 will deal damage to you when you swing it. You can mitigate that by casting personal spells on the sword-swinger to interrupt the hit animation (and thus the damage); basically cast bless or cure light wounds or whatever on the guy swinging just as the red skull appears over their head. The "swing" will still count. You can also jump and swing just before landing on the ground; the "crouch" of the landing animation will also interrupt the hit animation (and the damage). If you do it right, you'll hear the sound effect of the sword swing, see the red skull, but not take the damage. When you swing the sword enough times, it will de-curse into the Sword of Legends.

Cursed Sword 1 will "only" put you to sleep when you swing it. If the Cleric attempts to pick it up (he'll fail, because he's not allowed to get non-blunt weapons) multiple times, it will de-curse into the Holy Avenger.

One of the best games I ever played in the old arcade. The only thing I've yet to experience with that game is linking two CPS boards together to play a game with eight players simultaneously. That would be epic...

BlackSheep
2011-03-07, 01:41 PM
Well, you can find cabinets on sale through eBay and other sites. There are also some companies that specialize in renting arcade cabinets for parties. You might be able to get one of those to sell you one. They do cost quite a bit, though.

Shademan
2011-03-07, 03:00 PM
Moriah (red), or Shannon (white)? I think I preferred Shannon back in the day. Or rather Kayla...

the brown skinned one :3

Beelzebub1111
2011-03-17, 11:19 AM
Not as good as Shadow over Mystara but still very good.

Abemad
2011-03-18, 02:53 AM
You can find both the roms here (http://www.coolrom.com/roms/cps2/d/) and an emulator here (http://www.coolrom.com/emulators/arcade/79/Kawaks.php)

You'll proably need a joypad or similar (the emulator used 8 directional keys, instead of a combination of 4...)

JadedDM
2011-03-18, 03:17 AM
Oh, man, that takes me back. I put so many quarters into that thing, before my arcade got rid of it to make room for more shooters.

I loved that game, though. I always played the elf girl. Her accent was so bizarre. "Fiyabaww!" What is she from Boston or something?

This game really influenced how I think of D&D. For instance, when I envision Magic Missile spells, they always look like they do in the game. That image was sort of engraved into my mind as a child.

Comet
2011-03-18, 04:31 AM
We beat both of these with my brother some years ago. Incredibly fun times. I don't remember much about the second one, other than the first level, but the first game is gold in my head.
I played as the dwarf and let me tell you, the epilogue felt good. I even managed to 'win' by collecting the most loot, which was very dwarf-y, I thought.

Great games with, as said, surprising depth.

Runestar
2011-03-18, 06:25 AM
Heehee, I remember playing a mage. Would store power till the very end, then spam attack spells and lag the whole game. My friends would go like "So when do we get to move/play?" :smallbiggrin:

So that's why I would see players jump and swing with the black sword. :smalltongue:

paramedicbogart
2014-07-25, 09:22 AM
I have this game and the sequel in a converted two player cabinet. It needs s new monitor, but is playsble as is. Has lines on the screen... I could sell it if the price is fair...