PDA

View Full Version : Half-Orc dual-wielding Bard drummer

Darth Stabber
2011-03-07, 09:56 AM
So I inadvertantly introduced a very odd character that has my players amused, and I need to stat him out (He became the back up party member for when a player can't make it). Any one want to take a stab at stating him up?

Facts extablished
1-Half-orc
2-Bard
3-Dumb as toast (int < 10, 6 acceptable)
4-Alignment CG
5-Works for Police
6-Dual wields Clubs (drumsticks)
7-Level 4
8-Knows cure light wounds and Heroism
9-has at least 1 rank in survival
10- Has Diplomacy, and Perform(percussion)
11-Does not have Tomb-Tainted Soul (the rest of the party does)
12-Name: Towgi
13-Speaks Common and Orcish

Character Creation Rules
32pt buy(start with 8, 17 and 18 cost double)
Crossclass skills cost 1 pt (cap remains the same)
0-1 Flaws
Core + XPH + Completes + HoH + Libris Mortis + Incarnum + ToB.

Amnestic
2011-03-07, 10:06 AM
Sounds like the old kodo riders from Warcraft 3.

1) Find Kodo (http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/7/70/GreatWhiteKodo.jpg)
2) Strap drums to it
3) ???
4) Profit :smallwink:

Sorry I can't help with a proper build, but all I can think of is the kodo riders.

LordBlades
2011-03-07, 10:20 AM
I'd go with something like bard 2/swordsage 2(take bard levels first)

Stats(with racial adjustments): str 18 dex 14 con 14 int 6 wis 8 cha 14
Feats:
1: Adaptive Style
3: whatever you wish

Stances(2): Child of Shadow, Island of Blades
Maneuvers(7): Wolf Fang Strike and whatever else you might find approporiate

Darth Stabber
2011-03-07, 10:37 AM

I'd go with something like bard 2/swordsage 2(take bard levels first)

He has already cast heroism, meaning it's established, and He has to be a 4th lvl bard to Cast it. Otherwise I would consider it.

The party he hangs out with
Halfling Dread Necromancer
Human SwordSage
Human Psion

LordBlades
2011-03-07, 10:40 AM
He has already cast heroism, meaning it's established, and He has to be a 4th lvl bard to Cast it. Otherwise I would consider it.

Oops, my bad for not checking :smalleek: Somehow I remembered Heroism was level 1.

Keld Denar
2011-03-07, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you already have most of what you need. Bard4 is what he needs for Heroism, and consequently the best time to jump out of Bard and into Warblade for a more melee-centric bard character. TWF means you'll need a decent dex, and the lack of much casting means you won't need a Cha higher than 14 (I'd go 12 with a +2 item).

Str 14 (12 + racial, 4 pts)
Dex 16 (10 pts)
Con 14 (6 pts)
Int 10 (12-racial, 4 pts)
Wis 10 (2 pts)
Cha 12 (14-racial, 6 pts)

Level up point at 4th going in Dex to make sure you qualify for your whole TWFing tree.

Feats:

1 TWFing
3 Song of the Heart
6 Song of the White Raven
9 Imp TWF
12 Greater TWF

You might have to homebrew up a light club though, or bump the feats after TWFing up a tier and take Oversized TWF (that or take a flaw). Clubs are 1 handed, and he'll take additional penalties for TWFing with a 1handed offhand. A light club would probably simply be a 1d4 x2 type bludgeoning simple weapon, maybe 1d3, doesn't make a huge difference.

Then just fill in the feats to fit.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-07, 11:13 AM
Your forgot to specify a level, that's sort of important.

I'd use Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) if using Core=SRD. The Half-Orc Cha penalty is a bit of a problem, if you weren't so restricted on books I'd say give him the Magic-Blooded template from Dragon 306 for Wis -2, Cha +2, +0 LA. You could give him the Phrenic Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) template from XPH for +2 LA, but he'd be quite a bit smarter with that. If using Core=SRD a +2 LA can be bought off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) by 9th level.

I'd make the final build go (Savage) Bard 8/ Warblade 1/ Jade Phoenix Mage 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ JPM 8. A low-Cha option would be (Savage) Bard 4/ Warblade 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 10/ Abjurant Champion 4, which only loses one point of BAB and gets 16th spellcasting at CL 20 with Practiced Spellcaster.

For his base ability scores go Str 16 or 15, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16 or 15. His ability points for levels should go in Cha (Sublime Chord build) or Str (Bard 4/ Warblade 2/ JPM build). For feats he'll need TWF and Oversized TWF in Complete Adventurer if using clubs. An alternative would be Light Maces, for which you could give him the feat Lightning Maces in CW. Give him +4 Gloves of Dex and take Improved/Greater TWF at levels 9 and 12. I'd also make Song of the White Raven include his JPM levels for his bardic music. Get the Xing Mongoose boosts from Tiger Claw, along with Iron Heart Surge, and some decent healing maneuvers via JPM. Iron Heart counters and White Raven team-buffing would be a good place to focus.

Edit: Did you mean 32 points, start at 8, increase up to 16 for 8 points, up to 17 is 2 more points, up to 18 is another 2 points? If that's the case, go Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16. I was using DMG costs for 32 point buy, thinking it would be double that cost for 17 or 18.

Darrin
2011-03-07, 11:38 AM
The Half-Orc Cha penalty is a bit of a problem, if you weren't so restricted on books I'd say give him the Magic-Blooded template from Dragon 306 for Wis -2, Cha +2, +0 LA.

Desert Half-Orc has no Cha penalty (Unearthed Arcana/SRD). Draconic template adds +2 Cha for only LA +1, but Races of the Dragon wasn't mentioned in the books allowed.

Warblade/JPM isn't a bad idea, although Crusader 2 has a bit more Cha synergy. However, I'd go with Warblade, just to pick up Stormguard Warrior, or more precisely, Combat Rhythm. /rimshot

Daftendirekt
2011-03-07, 12:14 PM
Your forgot to specify a level, that's sort of important.

Yeah.... no.

So I inadvertantly introduced a very odd character that has my players amused, and I need to stat him out (He became the back up party member for when a player can't make it). Any one want to take a stab at stating him up?

Facts extablished
1-Half-orc
2-Bard
3-Dumb as toast (int < 10, 6 acceptable)
4-Alignment CG
5-Works for Police
6-Dual wields Clubs (drumsticks)
7-Level 4
9-has at least 1 rank in survival
10- Has Diplomacy, and Perform(percussion)
11-Does not have Tomb-Tainted Soul (the rest of the party does)
12-Name: Towgi
13-Speaks Common and Orcish

Darth Stabber
2011-03-07, 12:29 PM
PHB half-orc, no templates, no environmental variants.

LVL = 4

As a note he also has a Orc double axe, but can't play bardic music with it. (I already have TWF, why not the racial weapon)

Additional house rule: Orcs (including half)- proficient with double axe.

And he refers to himself as a half-human.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-07, 12:37 PM
I guess I went through the list and missed his level. I guess Bard 4 is what he's at, but how about Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) ? That would add illiteracy to his abysmal Int score, and he'd have Survival as a class skill. I'd still take him in the Warblade/JPM direction, since he'll make a better combatant than a spellcaster. Without MIC's Badge of Valor or SpC's Inspirational Boost or ECS's Song of the Heart, his Bardic Music is going to be fairly negligible. Best to just make him focused on fighting and have bard in there for character development.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-03-07, 12:39 PM
Personally I like a spread of STR: 18, DEX: 15(16 with +1 at 4), CON: 12, INT: 8, WIS: 10, CHA: 12. Two-weapon fighting, maybe oversized two-weapon fighting, maybe improved toughness later. I'd make a charisma boosting item his first priority so he can at least get a bonus 2nd level spell. Really hope you aren't looking for something optimized here.

I'd also try to stick mostly to spells that don't require enemies to make a save, like buffs.

veven
2011-03-07, 12:44 PM
While not the most amazing feat (unless you are going the aptitude kukri route, which really makes my soul hurt) Lightning mace from complete warrior would be flavorful. While the feat itself requires light maces i see no reason why you can't (as the DM) say it works with clubs too (they are mechanically identical save for the clubs ranged increment and weight of 1 lb less). Either that or you could just give him light maces.

Either way, think about giving him a couple +1 maces/clubs of impact so that you threaten more often and get all those extra attacks so that Towgi can play a wicked drum solo all over peoples faces.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-07, 01:52 PM
Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) ? That would add illiteracy to his abysmal Int score, and he'd have Survival as a class skill.

Would be great, except it has been established that he can read, Besides he doesn't have to be good at survival, he just isn't untrained.

I don't really need a High Op build, the Dread Necromancer is staying monoclassed and the Psion is going Uncarnate.

pres_man
2011-03-07, 05:48 PM
How about treating the drumsticks as light maces instead of clubs?

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-08, 10:46 AM
I'd bring up ouch of healing and clap of thunder, its boh percusiony and gives you more healing power whichyour groups seems lacking

The Glyphstone
2011-03-08, 10:51 AM
I was also going to suggest Lightning Maces. Nothing says "i love you" like beating out a really hardcore drum solo on your enemies's ribcages or skulls.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-08, 11:42 AM
I'd bring up ouch of healing and clap of thunder, its boh percusiony and gives you more healing power whichyour groups seems lacking

The group has a dread necromancer and everyone but the bard has tomb tainted soul. There is no shortage of healing. They start every encounter topped off, I cant really run them ragged without ability damage, and in one level the Psion will be able to fix that. They have covered their bases well for a small party (in a low op game). I just need a dude that will deliver a couple random (usually buff) spells and some damage. Honestly his biggest contribution for an encounter is Heroism on the swordsage, followed by inspiring competence. The TWF is just for something to do while playing music, and I figured that full plate makes for fine cymbals. He was just a random NPC, that the party decided that they like, and he grew from nameless to party member in about 20 minutes. When he was revealed to be a bard it was only because I started saying barbarian but realized that he had proven he could read, so I just stopped at "barb" and they assumed I said bard. At that point Rule of Cool/funny took over. And twf club drummer certainly falls under rule of cool.

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-08, 02:01 PM
why do people not like 2d6 or more sonic touch attack? It has some fairly good results, well its somethign to conisder in the later levels

having looked up tomb tainted soul it makes sense. touch of healing may not be for your party makeup, except to have a way to top yourself off or protect yourself from the party if they decide to turn on you and your positive energy needs

you say he works for the police as in local law enforcment, how about track?

dextercorvia
2011-03-08, 02:22 PM
Can a Half-Orc dual wield Bard Drummers?

Ravens_cry
2011-03-08, 02:45 PM
Can a Half-Orc dual wield Bard Drummers?
Depends on their size category.:smallbiggrin:

Swooper
2011-03-08, 03:01 PM
I was also going to suggest Lightning Maces. Nothing says "i love you" like beating out a really hardcore drum solo on your enemies's ribcages or skulls.
Third'ed. :smallbiggrin: