PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Bonuses

TheWhiteRaven
2011-03-07, 10:02 AM
Do dodge bonuses stack? If I have the Dodge feat, and I fight defensively, do I get both or does it overlap? Usually same named bonuses never stack, but I'm not sure on this one since Dodge is commonly taken and anyone can fight defensively.

Pigkappa
2011-03-07, 10:04 AM
Yes, they do stack. It's written in the Phb, in the description of the Dodge feat.

DwarfFighter
I know the answer to this one! Dodge is one of the named bonuses that always stack!

-DF

Claudius Maximus
Yup:

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified.

Emphasis mine.

TheWhiteRaven
2011-03-07, 10:09 AM
Ah okay. Yeah I kinda figured they would, but it was nice to have the confirmation. Thanks all!

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin:

TheWhiteRaven
2011-03-07, 10:17 AM
One other thing I just remembered. We're playing Pathfinder (pretty much the same rules, but just MUCH better in layout). I'm playing a fighter/rogue/shadowdancer who uses one rapier (einhander feats from pathfinder make it sooo good). Fighter in Pathfinder gets the ability armor training (starts at 1 goes up to 4) each level of it gives him a +1 to the max dex of any armor he wears and reduces its check penalty by 1. In the advanced players guide there is options for different kinds of fighters, replacing certain generic fighter abilities with ones more in tune for a different style of fighter. Specifically I'm playing the Free Hand fighter, no swashbuckler in pathfinder (yet). Free-Hand Fighters replace Armor Training with....

Elusive (Ex): At 3rd level, a free hand fighter gains a +1
dodge bonus to AC. This bonus increases by +1 for every four
levels after 2nd. This bonus does not apply when wearing
medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavier
load. This ability replaces armor training 1, 2, 3, and 4.

It doesn't say in the description that the Dodge bonus taken away if you are denied your dex (usually flat-footed). But for Dodge in Pathfinder it says like it does in 3.5, that you lose it if you lose your Dex. RAW I wouldn't lose the Dodge bonus, unless there's a rule somewhere that states you lose any Dodge bonus to AC when you are denied your Dex.

TheWhiteRaven
2011-03-07, 10:20 AM
Aaaaand Herp Derp, answered both my own question when I looked at Mobility in Pathfinder.

Mobility (Combat)
You can easily move through a dangerous melee.
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge.
Benefit: You get a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against
attacks of opportunity caused when you move out of or
within a threatened area. A condition that makes you lose
your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes
you lose dodge bonuses.
Dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most types
of bonuses.

Joshinthemosh
2011-03-08, 03:46 AM
Specifically I'm playing the Free Hand fighter, no swashbuckler in pathfinder (yet). Free-Hand Fighters replace Armor Training with....

Empahsis mine.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue#TOC-Swashbuckler

Pathfinder felt that Swashbucklers are Rogues not Fighters. Might have been why you missed it. Might not be quite be what you're looking for though.