PDA

View Full Version : The beer cannon

pendell
2011-03-07, 02:46 PM
I got this in an email from my boss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVyLuosZ1rY&feature=player_embedded). He wants it ready by June. I think he's joking. :smallwink:

Respectfully,

Brian P.

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 02:48 PM
He wants you to build one?

Cyrion
2011-03-07, 02:53 PM
You'll find out for sure when you give him a development budget...

Complete with test subjects of course! :smallbiggrin:

pendell
2011-03-07, 03:10 PM
He wants you to build one?

Jokingly, yes. We DO build robotic minibars and so on. I don't think we'd build something like that, though.

Why? 'Cause all you need is some six-year-old kid playing around with the iPhone and getting smacked right in the forehead with a soda can. Then Mum and Dad come into the hotel room to find their Darling Child sprawled on the ground with the imprint of a Coca-Cola can on his forehead.

Can you say "bazillion-dollar lawsuit", neighbor?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Keld Denar
2011-03-07, 05:09 PM
We DO build robotic minibars and so on.

You must get me a job! Mechanical engineer with ~4 years of experience including some minor controls work! Willing to relocate! I must fulfill my life's dream of creating an alcohol dispensing automaton! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Orzel
2011-03-07, 07:13 PM
With my lack of depth perception, I can be in the same room with such a machine. I'd be sooo temped and BAM!

In the face.

Or worse.

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-07, 07:50 PM
With my lack of depth perception, I can be in the same room with such a machine. I'd be sooo temped and BAM!

In the face.

Or worse.

:smallamused:

with my... tendencies*... i'd end up on the 6 o'clock news

EDIT: *tendencies refers to the time i embedded a pen in my health class's drywall after tinkering with it

golentan
2011-03-07, 08:13 PM
My advice: start in on it anywho. If he's not joking, you've got a good start, and if he is you've a legitimate excuse for a couple of fun days.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-07, 08:28 PM
Why? 'Cause all you need is some six twenty-year-old kid drunken frat bow playing around with the iPhone and getting smacked right in the forehead with a soda beer can. Then Mum and Dad come into the hotel room to find their Darling Child sprawled on the ground with the imprint of a Coca-Cola beer can on his forehead.

Can you say "bazillion-dollar lawsuit", neighbor?
I believe I have rectified your statement to more accurately reflect another potential issue.
To be precise, I don't think intoxication and flying heavy metal objects will mix all that well.

Shyftir
2011-03-07, 11:39 PM
I believe I have rectified your statement to more accurately reflect another potential issue.
To be precise, I don't think intoxication and flying heavy metal objects will mix all that well.

That really depends on how you value the terms "mix well."

If utterly ridiculous chaos is your goal...

Moff Chumley
2011-03-07, 11:46 PM

When is it not? :smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-08, 03:06 AM

If an appeal to sanity doesn't convince you, think how fizzy that beer will be, gah!:smallyuk: I mean, here it's just Bud Light, but what if it was something good?

Adlan
2011-03-08, 09:00 AM
Still, the minifridge controlled by an App and dispensing beverages on request seems like it'd be a good product. Start developing!

Barbin
2011-03-08, 09:09 AM
If an appeal to sanity doesn't convince you, think how fizzy that beer will be, gah!:smallyuk: I mean, here it's just Bud Light, but what if it was something good?

My... My Brio would be wasted! That machine is horrible.:smalleek:

Cyrion
2011-03-08, 10:15 AM
So, to offer a sop to the conscience and "beer is not healthy" party members everywhere, set it up so that there's a semi-random counter that chucks a stick of celery or an apple after every 3-5 beers.

pendell
2011-03-08, 10:36 AM
No sop needed. More stuff goes into a minibar than just alcohol. Sodas of various kinds, bottled water, peanuts, chips ... fundamentally, if it can fit inside the container and people will buy it, it WILL be sold.

*Ponders all the different objects that could be fired out of an air cannon, and begins sketching trajectories*

Respectfully,

Brian P.

shadow_archmagi
2011-03-08, 10:49 AM
I clicked on this thread really hoping that it was a misspelling of "Bear canon" and that the discussion would proceed along those lines.

Killer Angel
2011-03-08, 11:05 AM

Except in the single case of a drunk space goblin on a flying refrigerator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsU3ySB4qRU&feature=related)... :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-03-08, 12:22 PM
Jokingly, yes. We DO build robotic minibars and so on. I don't think we'd build something like that, though.

Build me one!

pendell
2011-03-08, 01:25 PM
Build me one!

Show me the money. :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-08, 01:34 PM
Show me the money. :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Can I pay you in theoretical dollars?

Cyrion
2011-03-08, 01:39 PM
Only theoretical research survives on theoretical funding.

pendell
2011-03-08, 01:52 PM
Can I pay you in theoretical dollars?

If you want a theoretical machine, yes :). Theoretical money doesn't make my car payments.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

golentan
2011-03-08, 01:53 PM
If you want a theoretical machine, yes :). Theoretical money doesn't make my car payments.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Sure it does. Theoretically.

TheThan
2011-03-08, 01:57 PM
So i want one. Once you've got it sighted in at your favorite easy chair, you'll be living the high life!

Dr.Epic
2011-03-08, 02:18 PM

Respectfully,

Brian P.

But you could get a theoretical car with all that theoretical money...in theory.

Keld Denar
2011-03-08, 03:33 PM
high life!

There is a reason they call it the champagne of beers...

Ravens_cry
2011-03-08, 03:40 PM
Except in the single case of a drunk space goblin on a flying refrigerator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsU3ySB4qRU&feature=related)... :smalltongue:
There is an exception to everything I suppose. But, like you said, it is a distinctly singular case.:smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2011-03-09, 03:49 AM
There is an exception to everything I suppose. :smalltongue:

...and the Forum's hive mind, is the best place to find 'em! :smallbiggrin:

Form
2011-03-09, 05:29 AM
But you could get a theoretical car with all that theoretical money...in theory.

And once we've established the theory we'll just take the limit of money --> 0 and then we'll know for sure!

grimbold
2011-03-09, 02:53 PM
That
Is
Awesome
I Don't know another way to react