PDA

View Full Version : Elan and Haley

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 03:23 PM
Who hopes that Elan and Haley will get married?

At least mentioned in an epilogue, but I'd like to see them show that next step in a relationship (I'm saying marriage because it's hard to hint that they are in a relationship-that-doesn't-need-paper-to-prove-it-but-is-just-the-same because it has no wedding photos or rings). They both are in love enough, have overcome huge psychological barriers to get to each-other, trust each-other, and have stayed loyal to each-other in very trying circumstances (a girl just Elan's type was throwing herself at his head and when she was dying he stayed true to Haley). I just think they've proved they are stable together and love each-other, and hope that they will be married t least in the end of the story.

Swordpriest
2011-03-07, 03:39 PM
As do I, since I'm a hopeless romantic and IMO it's more romantic to pledge yourself to the other person permanently than to just have an informal sexual arrangement where you can take off at any time. :smallwink:

ThePhantasm
2011-03-07, 03:40 PM
I'm sure they will. I mean, is there really any doubt that they will?

Themrys
2011-03-07, 03:41 PM
Would be nice, but I don't need that.
I'd rather see Vaarsuvius' and Inkyrius' wedding.
Haley and Elan behave like a couple all the time, but V in a romantic situation would be entirely new.

Spirited Charge
2011-03-07, 03:45 PM
Would be nice, but I don't need that.
I'd rather see Vaarsuvius' and Inkyrius' wedding.
Haley and Elan behave like a couple all the time, but V in a romantic situation would be entirely new.

That's true, but it'll take a lot of plot to pull them back together :smallfrown:

Themrys
2011-03-07, 03:56 PM
That's true, but it'll take a lot of plot to pull them back together :smallfrown:

Yes...but that's why it would be interesting.
Oh, or Inkyrius could marry someone else and V could interrupt the wedding.

Elan and Haley are a couple, their marriage is the logical consequence of their relationship. The only source of drama in that is the possibility that all the parents in law turn up at the wedding and there's a fight. Which probably won't happen since Elan has to kill Tarquin.

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 03:58 PM
Elan and Haley are a couple, their marriage is the logical consequence of their relationship.

But it would be nice to see that they are married, right?

QDI
2011-03-07, 04:00 PM
Right, but there is no real doubt that they will.

V, in the contrary...

Themrys
2011-03-07, 04:05 PM
But it would be nice to see that they are married, right?

Yeah, but it's not that dramatic, could be done in one panel...however, I think it will happen. As a bard, Elan knows there must a wedding so it's a proper happy end. :smallbiggrin:

Seraphem
2011-03-07, 04:53 PM
Well, pretty sure it's a guaranteed thing, since we know Elan will get a happy ending, and I can't see him being happy unless he gets the marry Haley.

Goosefeather
2011-03-07, 05:46 PM
I don't know a huge amount about D&D, so I have a question: since they're both Chaotic, wouldn't they consequently be a bit less interested in the formal, legal institution of marriage?

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 05:55 PM
I don't know a huge amount about D&D, so I have a question: since they're both Chaotic, wouldn't they consequently be a bit less interested in the formal, legal institution of marriage?

Elan's mom was married. And Haley's parents were.

TheSummoner
2011-03-07, 06:00 PM
Elan's mom was married. And Haley's parents were.

And if you want to look at the opposite side, lawful evil Tarquin seems to see marriage as little more than a tool for gaining political power (atleast currently... I don't think much power can be gained from marriage to a barmaid so Elan's mother was probably a different story).

How much a person values marriage is based more on the actual person than their alignment.

Goosefeather
2011-03-07, 06:04 PM
Oh, I'm not saying they'd be against it as such (neither seems to be Chaotic in the sense of 'actually working against Law and all it represents', more in a sense of general indifference), so while it's probably not a terribly pressing concern given the whole 'save-the-world' thing going on, it might be even less so for them than for two Lawfuls in the same position.

Leolo
2011-03-07, 06:16 PM
Haley will ask Elan if he wants to marry her before the final battle starts. Why? Because all character evolution will be done until then, to make it real climatic.

And Elan already had have his "i take my opportunity for love" moment as he walks next to Haley and kisses her.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-07, 10:36 PM
And if you want to look at the opposite side, lawful evil Tarquin seems to see marriage as little more than a tool for gaining political power (atleast currently... I don't think much power can be gained from marriage to a barmaid so Elan's mother was probably a different story).

How much a person values marriage is based more on the actual person than their alignment.

I'm not sure if Tarquin gained any political power with the next future missus :P I think it was mostly for the sake of getting in bed with her, considering how sleazy he is. After all, The Free City of Doom was probably conquerable from the start.

Tarquin's a good example concerning alignment here. Though he's clearly Lawful (he's a dictator, he's organized, he has respect for a personal code / tradition / the proper way of doing things), he still doesn't respect the tradition of marriage (at least, that's how I interpreted his whole Bluebeard deal).

Tarquin has a Chaotic aspect, but all things considered he's undeniably Lawful. Elan and Haley can therefore have a Lawful aspect (enjoying prospect of marriage) while staying Chaotic.

Edit: ANYWAY. Back on topic, I would love to see Haley and Elan get married :D And if we're going for an epilogue panel here, I better see some adorable kids.

Zaydos
2011-03-07, 11:10 PM
I just have to say I hope to see the wedding too... and groan at Elan's antics.

TheSummoner
2011-03-07, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure if Tarquin gained any political power with the next future missus :P I think it was mostly for the sake of getting in bed with her, considering how sleazy he is. After all, The Free City of Doom was probably conquerable from the start.

Tarquin's a good example concerning alignment here. Though he's clearly Lawful (he's a dictator, he's organized, he has respect for a personal code / tradition / the proper way of doing things), he still doesn't respect the tradition of marriage (at least, that's how I interpreted his whole Bluebeard deal).

Tarquin has a Chaotic aspect, but all things considered he's undeniably Lawful. Elan and Haley can therefore have a Lawful aspect (enjoying prospect of marriage) while staying Chaotic.

Sorry to drag out this Tarquin aside, but while his marriage to Amun-Zora may not be necessary to take control of the Free City of Doom, it certainly would've made things cleaner. He projects the image of it being a political alliance to the general public and they won't have any reason to rebel. Sure, he could just put them down if they tried it, but why go through the effort if you don't have to?

I'm not disagreeing about Tarquin being a sleaze... I'm sure he'd have no problems with getting into her pants (though remember that it hasn't happened yet, and it isn't looking like she'd welling let it happen at this point), but all things considered, I doubt that was his primary goal.

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-07, 11:23 PM
All I know is Shaman Vurkle better be the one who marries them.

Herald Alberich
2011-03-08, 12:50 AM
All I know is Shaman Vurkle better be the one who marries them.

vurkle now pronounce you half-human and wife. other half, also human. you may now kiss bride. ok, time for pie!

MoonCat
2011-03-08, 12:55 AM
giggles can no see why you still not worship him but he be glad to do cerem-thing in brother's honor

King of Nowhere
2011-03-08, 01:55 AM
I think they could be satisfied with a de faco relationship.
There are couples who stay together all life and never officially marry.
But probably they will marry, I can totally see Elan insisting it's the dramatic thing to do.

Gitman00
2011-03-08, 03:07 AM
I'm not disagreeing about Tarquin being a sleaze... I'm sure he'd have no problems with getting into her pants (though remember that it hasn't happened yet, and it isn't looking like she'd welling let it happen at this point), but all things considered, I doubt that was his primary goal.

Actually, it has happened: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0749.html

Themrys
2011-03-08, 03:58 AM
Actually, it has happened: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0749.html

It hasn't. Not at that point. She later says so.

However, it is obviously his goal to force her to marry him, so he can rape her without being unlawful. I hope the heroes rescue her before that happens.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-08, 08:54 AM
What? I'm still hoping for the Thog-Haley romance.

kaiguy
2011-03-08, 09:28 AM
I'm sure they will. I mean, is there really any doubt that they will?

I don't know, I have a "there's no way this ends well" feeling about happy couples in general (in fiction, not in life.)

Dr.Epic
2011-03-08, 12:59 PM
I don't know, I have a "there's no way this ends well" feeling about happy couples in general (in fiction, not in life.)

Yeah, it's not like some all seeing oracle that can see the future told Elan he's going to get a happy ending to this story. Wait...

Themrys
2011-03-08, 01:05 PM
What? I'm still hoping for the Thog-Haley romance.

Well, Haley is attracted to stupid men, but Elan is much prettier than Thog and Haley is also attracted to shiny things. :smalltongue:

Regarding Elan's happy ending, no one said Elan would get a happy ending with Haley.
If Haley should break up with him, he'd probably try to get Durkon to resurrect Therkla. Finding her grave won't be difficult...

Dr.Epic
2011-03-08, 02:39 PM
Well, Haley is attracted to stupid men, but Elan is much prettier than Thog and Haley is also attracted to shiny things. :smalltongue:

That's a matter of opinion.:smallwink:

:thog:thog orcish version of johnny depp

snikrept
2011-03-08, 03:31 PM
Bah, what's really going to happen is that Vaarsuvius marries Belkar. We've already had the hair-pulling flirting with the Explosive Runes and the saving his life from Miko with the timely Scorching Ray :smallbiggrin:

/me ducks

Themrys
2011-03-08, 03:57 PM
That's a matter of opinion.:smallwink:

:thog:thog orcish version of johnny depp

Yeah, but Haley is human.

Therkla, on the other side, is as attracted to stupid men as Haley is, but probably more into half-orcs...and Thog might die soon...

DBear
2011-03-10, 09:01 PM

I think you're confusing his Evil aspect for being Chaotic :smallconfused: and I don't think marriage is that concerned with alignment.

Pyrite
2011-03-10, 10:16 PM
If Haley should break up with him, he'd probably try to get Durkon to resurrect Therkla. Finding her grave won't be difficult...
I think even Elan's 18 (20? he has leveled a bit since last it was pinned down) charisma will have a bit of trouble finding the right way to tell Therkla that things didn't work out with Haley and now he's willing to give her a second chance without making her feel like she's being settled for.

Also, there is a very real chance that she has moved on and found someone else in the Outlands or wherever she ended up.

Themrys
2011-03-11, 05:40 AM
Of course. But Elan is stupid enough to try nevertheless. :smalltongue:
(Unless his genre-savvyness tells him what he has to expect)

Pyrite
2011-03-11, 11:29 AM
Of course. But Elan is stupid enough to try nevertheless. :smalltongue:
(Unless his genre-savvyness tells him what he has to expect)

I would expect the second one.

His character archetype isn't the kind that makes romantic blunders of that magnitude.

CletusMusashi
2011-03-13, 01:07 AM
I think it's pretty much a given they'll hitch.
The only question it's done by Durkon or Banjo?

Gitman00
2011-03-13, 12:35 PM
It hasn't. Not at that point. She later says so.

However, it is obviously his goal to force her to marry him, so he can rape her without being unlawful. I hope the heroes rescue her before that happens.

Okay, I see your point. It is certainly implied in this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0757.html) comic that she rebuffed him, but if I wanted to be pedantic, I could say it only means she refused his marriage proposal, not necessarily his physical advances. :smalltongue:

Narren
2011-03-13, 12:57 PM
Yes...but that's why it would be interesting.
Oh, or Inkyrius could marry someone else and V could interrupt the wedding.

I would love to see V pull a Wayne's World.