PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of Leap Attack/Battle Jump?

fracas
2011-03-07, 04:33 PM
My understanding is that with errata Leap Attack gives an x4 multiplier with a 2H weapon. So if I power attack for 10, I get a total of +40 damage for my power attack (including the built-in 2:1 ratio with a 2H weapon).

...Or does the Leap Attack x4 multiplier get added to the 2:1 2H multiplier, meaning that by D&D's funny attack math my total multiplier would be (4-1)+2 = 5x?

My understanding of Battle Jump is that it multiplies total damage by 2, such that an attack dealing 2d4+40 would instead deal 4d4+80. Or would it be (2d4)2+80? I know the expected value is the same, just making sure I understand the rules.

Furthermore, I'd imagine that Leap Attack would be considered a subset of total damage and would therefore be doubled as part of Battle Jump.

And finally, as far as I can tell those two feats grant better or equal multipliers compared to other feats like Heedless Charge (2x damage on charge). Battle Jump beats Heedless Charge by giving you the option of tripping as well as doing double damage; HC's advantage is that you don't need a jump check or a jump from someplace high to activate it.

Is that all correct?

My current build is something of a dragoon: desert orc using a guisarme with some templates and Horizon Walker levels to gain teleport and high jump/tumble/hide/move silently checks. Similar to the Horizon Tripper.

I just hit lvl 11, meaning I can now Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds. I've been using Leap Attack up till now, but thinking I might retrain it to Battle Jump at lvl 12. Then I could just teleport the appropriate height above my target to activate Battle Jump, using Sun School to get off an attack as I fall.

Stallion
2011-03-07, 04:49 PM
Furthermore, I'd imagine that Leap Attack would be considered a subset of total damage and would therefore be doubled as part of Battle Jump.

Yes, it is.

And finally, as far as I can tell those two feats grant better or equal multipliers compared to other feats like Heedless Charge (2x damage on charge). Battle Jump beats Heedless Charge by giving you the option of tripping as well as doing double damage; HC's advantage is that you don't need a jump check or a jump from someplace high to activate it.

Why not take both? They'd stack. You'd trigger an AOO with your drop-down, but with Karmic Strike or Robilar's Gambit, you turn that into an additional triple damage attack.

fracas
2011-03-07, 05:44 PM
Why not combine the two? Mostly because I'm already by far the most powerful guy in the group. Other players have theoretically powerful characters that I or the DM made for them, but they don't play them all that well.

I'm already sitting on 26 Str, 22 Con, +34 to Jump (and that's without even having boots of Striding and Springing), lots of skill points with Int 14, and good tactical play. I just kicked my Will save up to 17 with Steadfast Determination (mostly to avoid being mind controlled into killing party members) and I've got Hide in Plain Sight with +25 to hide and move silently via bonuses from the Dark template.

Therefore I'm just trying to give myself lots of cool, fun abilities rather than boosting my DPS. I like it high (and it should be - I'm 1. a dragoon and 2. the closest thing the party has to a meat shield, as well as an aggro-magnet), but I don't need it ridiculous.

I like Karmic Strike and it'd fit very well in my build, but the prereqs are absurd. Robilar's won't be an option until lvl 15 since I'm missing BAB from taking Monk2 and the Blooded and Dark templates.