PDA

View Full Version : The Giant and Fancomic Artists

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-03-07, 05:31 PM
I spend quite a lot of my time on these forums in the fancomic section and I've had a recurring problem with a couple of threads and I'm not sure what the forum protecol is for the situation.

What should I do when I notice a forum member repeatedly asking about a fancomic artist's update schedule?

I have a particular thread in mind but this has happened in multiple fancomic threads and basic instinct has been the same almost every time: isn't posting purely to make inquiries about update schedule a form of (mild) harrassment? I dithered over commenting over the thread that caused me to start this topic but as I'm typing I've got a subscription notice from the fancomic author which essentially makes a repeated request for the forum member in question to stop making this sort of enquiry.

I'm rather aware that we're discouraged to stray from the given topic in all threads on these forums and I know the rules state it's best if we refrain from sniping each other, but in an unrelated incident I opted to actually report the post which asked when a new comic would appear (I made a more detailed case in my report which I won't go into here) because I thought that was the least disruptive option. I never found out if any action was taken in that incident. I assumed this was simply a case of the mods being too busy to tell me what they decided to do after I 'reported' the post and I accept this but since the problem's arisen itself in different places at different times since then I'd like to know if there's an official stance on this so I know the ettiquette appropriate thing to do next time it crops up (I have no doubt I will come across this again in the future).

I've read through the forum rules and the fancomic thread rules to see if I could find anything specific about this issue and I can't. Asking questions about when Order of the Stick will update is a potentially banable offence here (or that's my understanding of the rules and a number of posts I've read over the past year or so) but Rich Burlew's comic is obviously an exceptional case as it is the hub of the entire webspace. "Harrassing" other posters appears to be at least something that could incurr an infraction. Where does that leave the status of posts (I'm talking about people who ask on a semi-regular basis here and add nothing else in their comment spaces not people who say, "I thought I read you'd update this afternoon, was I wrong?" at the tail end of a review/ thought-out or clearly relevant observation/ speculation on the fancomic) that ask fancomic makers when they'll next post a comic? Particularly frustrating cases are those where there is no established schedule for the comic and never has been or where a fancomic artist states an intention to update at a specific time but real life intervenes and the comic becomes 'late' and the fancomic artist arrives to find a question about their timing waiting for them. Given this phenomenon frustrated The Giant enough for him to ensure that other mods incorporate a notice that this habit is not welcomed in the case of The Order of the Stick into the forum rules, might some sort of notice, reminder or stickied thread be something to consider for the fancomic board?

My closing remarks on the subject would have to be that the main reason this bothers me is that I've considered starting a webcomic myself at varous points and one of the things that often deters me is the pressure publising an ongoing project online can put on a person: a lot of webcomics I've followed have eventually burned out because they were no longer enjoyable for their creators to publish for one or more reason(s) many such independent comic creators close down their sites with an end notice that states that despite having a lot of followers they're finally putting their foot down and ending their comic - but one thing that kept them publishing for a considerable period after it ceased to be enjoyable was the 'debt' they felt they owed to their fanbase. I sometimes worry I can see similar patterns developing in the fancomic board. The last thing I'd want is a rule to come into action that prohibited the artists here in a way they aren't prohibited at the moment, but I've always found the Giant in the Playground Forum to be an unusually friendly online forum with incredibly considerate members and so I find it slightly puzzling that no specific rules or guidelines appear to be in place to protect fancomic artists from update-schedule related harassment because in some cases this can lead to someone somewhere feeling pretty pressurised and miserable. I have no one thread or artist in mind when I make this closing 'statement' with the possible exception of myself hypothetically in the future.

Zherog
2011-03-07, 05:50 PM
...but in an unrelated incident I opted to actually report the post which asked when a new comic would appear (I made a more detailed case in my report which I won't go into here) because I thought that was the least disruptive option. I never found out if any action was taken in that incident. I assumed this was simply a case of the mods being too busy to tell me what they decided to do after I 'reported' the post ...

Actually, the mods will never tell you what they did with something you reported. All actions are private, between only the person involved and the moderation staff.

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-03-07, 06:14 PM
Actually, the mods will never tell you what they did with something you reported. All actions are private, between only the person involved and the moderation staff.

Thanks for confirming that. I strongly suspected it was the case but I wasn't sure.

I'd consider scoring that part out of my post but your correction's more infortmative, in my opinion. So you've cleared something up for me which is good to have a clear answer on (I can't help but feel that must have been written down somewhere I should have noticed it but at least I tried to read through things I guess?) but my original question still stands. I don't know whether I should hang back and keep my opinions of this sort of thing to myself or just wade in as appropriate on a case by case basis. One of the reasons this behaviour annoys me is because it 'pollutes' the threads that that it occurs in, but on the other hand if I complain about it in thread I'm only encouraging a further detour from the original subject. It's slightly cyclical and I don't think I'm the only non comic artist who follows some of these threads and is unsure how to react to something like that. My instinct's to chide them, but I'm not a mod so that's not really my place and it's a bit too subjective for any existing rules so reporting them feels like an overreaction.
I can't tell if I wasted a mod's time when I reported that post or if that is generally the best course of action if you don't know what to do since mods aren't obligated to respond to reported posts so the only time 'wasted' is in reading the report and considering it rather than having to come in and advise me to mind my own business.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-03-07, 06:19 PM
If all they're doing is repeatedly asking when the next update will be, with no thoughtful input, that sounds like spam, which is against the rules. Though I'm not a mod so yeah, wait for them for final word and all that.

Roland St. Jude
2011-03-07, 06:46 PM
Sheriff: This falls under the general suggestion that you: 1) report any potential rule violations you see and 2) don't try to moderate or regulate others. There is no specific rule against the conduct you describe, but it may well be spam, harassment, or some other violation depending on the exact circumstances.