PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Wizard entering Ur Priest prc

begooler
2011-03-07, 07:07 PM
So, you have a wizard. He wants to become an Ur Priest, presumably to then take Mystic Theurge.
The skills make the minimum level for entry 6, for a character that has all the required skills as class skills at some point.
The base fort save requirement makes it much higher. The wizard can get around this by multiclassing into any class that has a good fort save.
The wizard doesn't want to lose a caster level, so he needs a PrC with a good fort save, and caster progression at first level. He also needs one level in something with bluff as a class skill.

What I can find is Mindbender in Complete Arcane, which is perfect because in addition to the fort save, it also gives the wizard bluff. The wizard can take this prestige class as his 6th level, and then Ur Priest at 7th, and Mystic Theurge at 9th. (He gets 9th level cleric spells at 16, if he has a good enough wisdom for bonus spells (17 if he doesn't,) and 9th level wizard spells at 19.)

My question is this: Is there another prc the wizard could have instead entered as his 5th level, that would enable him to take the first level of Ur Priest at level 6 instead of 7?

Urpriest
2011-03-07, 07:17 PM
Broadly speaking, not without tricks. I believe you could manage Ruathar with some Sanctum Spell abuse, though I don't think it would give Bluff. You'd need Apprentice:Criminal or the like for that.

Narren
2011-03-07, 07:22 PM
I don't have my books with me, but does Mystic Theurge raise caster level that's derived from a prestige class?

Can't answer your question, though. No class springs to mind that increases caster level with fortitude as a good save. Though there are feats to obtain bluff as a class skill. Is it able learner I'm thinking of? And I believe there was a feat somewhere called cosmopolitan that did something similar, though it may have been from a 3.0 book.

Urpriest
2011-03-07, 07:25 PM
I don't have my books with me, but does Mystic Theurge raise caster level that's derived from a prestige class?

I've never seen a class make that distinction. I'm curious now, any idea which class you were thinking of?

The Cat Goddess
2011-03-07, 07:28 PM

Can't answer your question, though. No class springs to mind that increases caster level with fortitude as a good save. Though there are feats to obtain bluff as a class skill. Is it able learner I'm thinking of? And I believe there was a feat somewhere called cosmopolitan that did something similar, though it may have been from a 3.0 book.

If a PrC has it's own spell progression (like Ur-Priest), then yes.

However, another class (like WildMage, for example) would not advance "Mystic Theurge" casting... thus allowing you to further increase both caster sides with one class.

fractal_uk
2011-03-07, 07:41 PM
Technically, Mindbender has a caster level requirement, not X levels in a spellcasting class or access to X level spells. That means you could qualify to take it as your 5th level by having an item that gives you +1 caster level. There are a couple of these but they might be prohibitively expensive at the level you'll need them at.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-07, 09:36 PM
Technically, Mindbender has a caster level requirement, not X levels in a spellcasting class or access to X level spells. That means you could qualify to take it as your 5th level by having an item that gives you +1 caster level. There are a couple of these but they might be prohibitively expensive at the level you'll need them at.

You won't meet the skill prerequisites to go Wizard 4/ Mindbender 1 unless you can somehow get all of them as class skills. Otherwise, the feats Fey Heritage and Fey Power in CM give you +1 CL for Enchantments. Getting all of those as class skills, then getting Fey Heritage and Fey Power, plus the feats for Ur-Priest, plus Practiced Spellcaster twice, you would definitely want to go human with flaws.

The best route into Ur-Priest via Wizard would probably be Wizard 5/ Mindbender 1/ Ur-Priest. A Wizard 10/ Ur-Priest 2/ Mystic Theurge 8 is still a double-tier-1 build.

Akal Saris
2011-03-07, 10:03 PM
There is Runesmith from Races of Stone, which can be taken at 6th or at 5th if you have the two-feat combo from Cityscape for a bonus rank in Craft. You'd need to be a dwarf and take Heavy Armor proficiency, however, which would require a staggering number of feats to accomplish.