PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War expansion questions

big teej
2011-03-07, 09:53 PM
greetings playgrounders

I've been playing Dawn of War more often lately... and reading more of my warhammer novels (switching out 40k for battletech and dnd fantasy)

and I wanna have a go at something other than marines, orkz, pansies, and chaos marines.

so I'm looking at picking up some of the expansions in the future. but this leaves me with a few questions.

1) do you have to have all the patches on the original to install an expansion?
2) do you have to add the expansions in a particular order?
3) what new armies/units are on what expansion?
4) do the cheats from the original still work on the expansions?
5) is the storyline continuous?
6) do the blood ravens ever stop sucking?
7) does #5 mean I need to go back and actually complete story mode?
8) utterly unrelated, but how do you get cheats to work in campaign mode.

thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-07, 10:00 PM
ok.

0. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) is generally where we post about video games. :smallwink:
1. I'm not sure. I'd guess... Most likely?
2. Again, I'm not sure, but my guess would be "most likely".
3. Winter Assault adds the Imperial Guard, and has a sweet campaign, Dark Crusade adds the Necrons and the Tau, and Soulstorm adds the Dark Eldar and the Sisters of Battle, and also adds Flying units, that ignore all terrain. The last two have risk-type campaigns, not as much fun, imho.
4. Never tried, personally.
5. Partially. They make references to the earlier campaigns, but other than that, you can play one after another in any order.
6. Maybe not?
7. Nope!
8. No clue!

big teej
2011-03-07, 10:10 PM
heh, oops, -insert plausible reason for oversight here-

what mod do I need to petition to move this?

Haruki-kun
2011-03-07, 10:23 PM
what mod do I need to petition to move this?

You can report your own post and write in the report that you posted in the wrong forum and ask for it to be moved, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Yup.

Note: This should be used to report spam, advertising messages, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts as well as any posts you feel are or might be against the forum rules. You can also report your own posts if you feel you've posted in the wrong forum and would like your thread moved, for example.

big teej
2011-03-07, 10:26 PM
thankyoumuch

The Glyphstone
2011-03-07, 10:36 PM
Great Modthulhu: Thread moved to Gaming (Other). Burble.

big teej
2011-03-07, 10:46 PM
thanks a bunch!

hopefully now I'll get more answers

Vauron
2011-03-07, 10:57 PM
My understanding is that it doesn't matter what order you install them in, or if you install them all for that matter. For instance, if you installed Dark Crusade on a vanilla install, the only thing you'd miss is being able to choose the Imperial Guard.(And the pyro-nuns and sadist elves, but that should be a given)

Eldan
2011-03-08, 04:28 AM
Actually, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are even playable without the original.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-03-08, 07:29 AM
The easiest way to not worry about patches, as well as one of the cheapest ways, is to buy the expansions from Steam. It automatically downloads the patches for you.
The only problem with that is that I'm not sure if having a Steam copy of DC for example will only let you use DC content if it can use the stuff from a non-Steam game.

Renegade Paladin
2011-03-08, 07:35 AM
The expansions include the necessary patches to install them on the original. You don't need to worry about them no matter how you buy the expansions.

Skip Soulstorm. THQ farmed out the production to Iron Lore, which folded in the middle of making it, and it shows; the expansion was released in a half-finished state, and sucks horribly.

Brother Oni
2011-03-08, 07:45 AM
To clarify, you can install the expansions in whatever order you like. Winter Assault requires the original game to be installed, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are standalone expansions.

Patching is not required prior to installing.

On the non-Steam version, if you want the additional races in your multiplayer game (IG in Dark Crusade; Tau, Necron and IG in Soulstorm), you just input your CD key from the earlier game.
Campaign mode gives you full access to all the races from the start.

With regard to the storyline, all the campaigns happen in the chronological order the games are released in, but there's only fleeting references to the other campaigns, with the exception of Taldeer and Gorgutz who are recurring characters.
It's not until DoW2 series that more characters return (Thule, Angelos and Eliphas among others).

Selrahc
2011-03-08, 11:46 AM
Get Dark Crusade at least.
Soulstorm can probably be missed. Dark Eldar are kind of fun. Sisters I didn't like. Flying units were awful. Campaign was a notably worse version of the Dark Crusade one.

big teej
2011-03-08, 08:13 PM
is there any way to make cheats work in campaign mode in the original Dawn of War?

I'm using patch 1.10 if that helps

also, any tips on the third mission? I always get stuck here, despite being able to steamroll through most other levels.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-03-08, 08:19 PM
Skip Soulstorm. THQ farmed out the production to Iron Lore, which folded in the middle of making it, and it shows; the expansion was released in a half-finished state, and sucks horribly.

Nah, Relic came in a few months later and patched it all up to work again.

Brother Oni
2011-03-09, 07:41 AM
Nah, Relic came in a few months later and patched it all up to work again.

Oh it works, but all the stronghold assaults (with the exception of the two new races unsurprisingly) are still horribly generic, especially when compared to how they were in Dark Crusade.

Eldan
2011-03-09, 09:32 AM
I only remember the Necron stronghold, but that was pretty impressive, actually.

big teej
2011-03-09, 01:30 PM
sooooo

how do I get cheats to work in campaign mode/tips for beating mission three?

Brother Oni
2011-03-09, 01:33 PM
Let me install the game and check.

Edit: might not need to: Dawn of War mission 3 walkthrough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEtaUVcw5E0).

Edit 2: Ok, Under Siege wasn't what I was expecting.

If the walkthrough isn't sufficient, then do the following:

Use your initial two marine squads to capture all the easily reachable strategic points and build listening posts on them.

Meanwhile reinforce up all your IG units, give them grenade launchers then stick them into cover on Stand Ground and Ranged stances. Split Isador and Angelos up to the two strategic points where all the units are.

Keep on climbing the tech tree, remembering to cap out on the number of generators you can have.

Build three turrets around each of the two listening posts at the chokepoints to your base and upgrade them to missile launchers.

After that, get at least 6 marine squads together and leave the IG squads as base defence: I personally attach Isador and Angelos to two vanilla squads with no heavy weapons and a sergeant, sticking them on Assault and Hold Ground stances and assign them to Control group 1 (assault); 2 squads of 4 heavy bolter marines on Ranged/Stand Ground on control group 2 (fire support); 2 squads of 4 missile launcher marines on Ranged/Stand Ground on control group 3 (anti vehicle/buildings).

Sweep to the right first, picking up the Machine Cult and dreadnoughts which you can attach to control group 1. After that, sweep through the city, capturing the strategic points, making sure you send the assault group first to act as a screen for the fire support, which kill the orcs, and anti-armour, which kill everything else.
Make sure you focus the orc troop buildings and listening posts with the anti armour - Waaagh banners can be easily destroyed with just heavy bolters.

If you start to take casualties during combat, makes sure you reinforce them (easiest way is to right click the reinforce button, so that they auto-reinforce) and if their morale drops to zero, use the sergeant's Rally ability.

Make sure you take a moment to reinforce/rearm after clearing each orc encampment before taking on the next one and if you're still having problems, just bring all the IG squads along as well and build more turrets on those choke points for defence.