PDA

View Full Version : D20 modern: Computer Use

UndeadCleric
2011-03-08, 01:37 AM
I am making a character in D20 modern which I wish to be as skilled as possible in computer use without any homebrew. Any help given would preferably have an outline for level 1 and each level onward also.

Berenger
2011-03-08, 04:35 AM
Unfortunately away from books, but apart from the obvious, there are the feats Hacker an Cryptophile from the Menace Manual.

Rappy
2011-03-08, 05:36 AM
Indeed. That's pretty much it for (non-Future, at least) Wizards of the Coast books. And with just core itself, the Gearhead feat and spamming the Smart Hero's Savant (Computer Use) talent is about all you can do.

If you have access to Game Mechanics stuff (which, personally, I'd consider about as good as being 1st Party), the Hacker advanced class from Modern Player's Companion is about as good as it gets past Smart Hero.

Berenger
2011-03-08, 06:14 AM
There is also the advanced class Shadowjack from Urban Arcana (my favourite d20 modern setting). If you are willing to ignore Online Spell Resistance at level 7 and Virtual Incantations at level 10, it can be fluffed as entirely mundane (as opposed to magically gifted).

Kuma Kode
2011-03-08, 07:33 AM
Dipping dedicated for Skill Emphasis (+3 untyped) might be worth it if you absolutely, positively, HAVE TO HAVE Computer Use jacked the heck up. Faith also is useful if you action point it a lot and have a decent wisdom. Savant applies to it, but beware; Savant kinda sucks if you don't take a lot of Smart hero, such as by advanced classing out. Still, it should be useful for a +2 or +3 at the least.

You can mastercraft a laptop for an equipment bonus or beast it up with the engineer class (though you'll probably break it so it'll get more expensive than just buying it mastercrafted).

If you are able to build robots using the d20 Future rules, craft yourself a diminutive robot with a Computer Use chip and the Oathbound feat progit and have it Aid Another for an additional +3. It could probably be fluffed as actually being the laptop, especially if you just rig up the chassis and not give it any manipulators or locomotion.

Also, hey, free 10 intelligence AI to talk to while working on the computer.

Gearhead, obviously.

Other than that, there really isn't a whole lot to do other than finding new ways to work with what you have. d20 Modern is far less breakable than D&D.