PDA

View Full Version : [IC] On the Winds of Wrath [3.5, Ravenloft]

Wannabehero
2011-03-08, 02:02 AM
On the Winds of Wrath

The Players:

Gray Mage - Milo Silverwind Burrows (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280517) - Halfling Rogue/Swashbuckler
GodGoblin - Grimnir Grudgebeard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279412) - Dwarven Archivist
Lady Moreta - Bethany Woodelf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280721) - Half-elf Bard
journeyman - Dian'Guar Covenant (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279722) - Hellbred Dread Necromancer
Savannah - Dawn Miller (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=248253) - Human Paladin
Vladislav - Suok Grimbledoon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279318) - Halfling Druid/Warlock

Link to OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190087)

The rain hisses in sibilant staccato against the mortared stone, shuttered windows fighting a desperate battle to hold the howling wind at bay. Rolling peals of thunder sweep in from the distance, the sky outside dark as a moonless night despite the late afternoon hour. Within this dry and dusty chamber the flames of a dozen candles flicker and dance as if in sympathy for the torrential currents of air outside, their light diffusing in the twisting coils of spicy incense rising from a ring of ceramic censers upon the floor.

A small robed man shuffles across the flagstone, drawn hood casting the face underneath in shadow. As the figure approaches the center of the room the concealment of his cowl sporadically flickers and fades, revealing a half-mad expression of anticipation on an old and scarred face. The thunderous cracks of lightning are almost deafening within the stone room, yet the shadowy face never flinches and the dark eyes never waver as they stare unfocused at the center of the chamber. Dry, cracked lips quiver and move in a constant low mumble.

“They shall see… ha! Lords… all must fall, no lords are above… chaos is the fabric… they shall see… none can know… beyond perfect… time now… …perfect…”

The crazed man kneels on the cold stone at the edge of the ring of light and burning embers, palms raised towards the twisting curls of smoke. A sudden monstrous crack of thunder resonates like an earthquake through the foundations of the room, blasting the beleaguered shutters wide and filling the chamber with howling wind and stinging rain. Despite this sudden tumult the many candles and burning incense do not flicker and die, but instead blaze brighter with a desperate, fierce intensity. The smoke and rain twist together, spiraling inward to a vortex at the very heart of the chamber. Beneath the forming whirlwind, twisted arcane symbols and broken geometric patterns begin to slowly glow with an unnatural light all their own. The man laughs in manic delight, tears rolling from his eyes to be carried by the wind into the twisting cyclone.

“THEY SHALL SEE…” he cries above the howl. “TIME NOW… THEY... SHALL... SEE!”

There is a bright flash accompanied by a deafening boom, and all light suddenly dies out.

---

You awaken with a start as a thunderous flash of lightning crashes outside the window. The inn’s shutters have come loose again and are banging haphazardly against the windowsill, the noise of the storm waking you for the second time tonight. Groggily, you try to recall the dream you were just having; the images of smoke, rain, and some strange cloaked figure all jumbled together in your mind. No, not jumbled… swirling… like a whirlwind.

You shake your head, trying to clear the strange images. There is something else your sleep-addled brain is trying to tell you but things are moving just a bit slow up there at the moment. Then you hear it again, it’s the town bell. The town alarm bell.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-08, 03:53 AM
Bethany jerked awake, mumbled words dying on her lips and the tail end of a dream about - whirlwinds? in her mind. "Wha...?" In the minute it took her sleep-fogged brain to realise what that bell was, she found herself contemplating the dream further. Something about a whirlwind. And a crazy old man possibly.

Finally it penetrated that the sound was not the sound of bells calling the church near her university to worship, nor was it the delicate sound of the dancers bells she'd seen the previous day in the shop she'd gone to to get her harp fixed. Those were alarm bells.

Struggling out of bed, she eyed the light-weight garments she generally slept in then decided that it had already been at least a minute since she'd awoken and surely it wouldn't make much difference if she took the time to at least dress herself. Hastily she threw her studded leather armour on over her head, then grabbing crossbow and the belt to which the bolts were still attached in one hand, rapier and pack in the other she stumbled down the stairs, still functioning most on instinct than any real sense of awareness.

Upon reaching the main floor of the inn, she entered, finally awake enough to consider her position and that a certain degree of wariness might be in order. Taking the time then to fix her pack on her back in case of a hasty escape and tightening the belt around her waist, she picked up her weapons and peered around the room, looking for either the source of the disturbance or someone to explain it to her.

"Hello? Is anyone here? What's going on?

GodGoblin
2011-03-08, 08:14 AM
Grimnir awakes with a jolt, wild black hair covering his face. He brushes it out of his eyes with a huff and a grunt "Gah! Curses, your vision grow ever more obscure my lord" He mutters to himself in Dwarvish before dropping down from the bed with a thud.

Grimnir reaches down for his pack and throws it upon the bed, he rifles through removing his armour and weapons. Once buckled up he gives his breastplate a tap and shakes his beard loose from within. Grimnir hefts his crossbow with one hand and checks for his prayer book with the other. Safe and secured on his belt. Good.

"Damned bells! What have you gotten me into this time Dugmaren?" He spits while stepping out of the hallway. Grimnir Grudgebeard is a devout Dwarf but he grows reluctant of Dugmaren Brightmantle's visions. He believes he is part of some divine plot but that doesnt mean he is happy about it.

"You girl, what in the blazes is going on?" Grimnir's voice bellows at the female Elf standing in the hallway.

Vladislav
2011-03-08, 09:50 AM
Mother! Noooo!

Covered in sweat, screaming, Suok jerks up from another nightmare, but this is not a typical one. His mother's face, twisted with pain, is mixed with visions of a crazy old man amid some rituals. This is getting worse, he mumbles as his mind registers the sounds of alarm. Something's up. Clovis, come.

The dark shadow under the bed coalesces into a canine shape, red eyes and pure-white fangs glistening in the starlight. As its halfling owner quickly dresses and gathers his meager possessions, the dog stretches and licks its chops, ready for action. Soon, both struggle through the poorly lit corridors, the large dog guiding itself by scent, the halfling feeling his way with a staff, on the way to the common room. Amid flashes of lightling, some humanoid shapes can be seen.

Hello, who goes there? I am Suok Grimbledoon of Red River, be you friend or foe?

Gray Mage
2011-03-08, 02:03 PM
Milo awake drenched in cold sweat, the sun shining in his face. This was a new nightmare, instead of lycantropes a robed man and rain. There was a loud noise in the background, maybe his friends would know what it is. Rubbing his eyes and trying to get used with the light, he spoke in halfling:"Guys, do you hear something outside? You wouldn't belive the nightmare I just... oh." No response. They've already left to search for the missing kid without him. Great. Oh well, maybe they're downstairs. And what is that damn noise? Is the festival starting already?

Moving towards the open window, he takes a peek outside, still a little grumpy. The sight almost made him fall backwards, people running around in panic. Then it hit him, that wasn't the festival bells, it was an alarm. There were no time to waste, if they had any hope of finding the missing halfling they'd have to hurry. Thankfully he was used to packing and unpaking, so moments later he already had his rapier on his left side, the shortsword on the right, and his favorite dagger in his person. He also picked his tools and a healing wand, you never knew when those could be usefull. He opened the door and rushed down the stairs while finishing putting his shirt.

In the common room, a few humanoids, including a fellow halfling, a dwarf and an elf, no sight of his friends. He aproaches the three and, on a closer inspetion the elf could be an half-elf. "I don't suppose you know what's going on, right? Have any of you seen a couple of halflings, no, not him,- Milo explains before someone could misunderstand, while pointing towards Suok- but other ones. They're my friends, but they weren't in the room when I wake up."

journeyman
2011-03-08, 06:31 PM
Been there, done that, looked better in the cloak when I did it...

His first thoughts on awakening are confused, not by the nightmare, for he has had many of those, but by the sense of familiarity he feels for the scene. The crazy old man isn't anyone he recognizes, but that's no surprise. For a moment the vivid dream struck a cord with the damned soul, a shadow of memories of what were probably better times. Guilt immediately follows that thought. I'm not that guy anymore....litterally.

Sulferous yellow eyes open and can't help but examine his cursed form yet one more time, as if hoping to find it too no more than a nightmare he has finally woken from. As always, his strange sight pierces the darkness and his denial alike, showing him cracked skin the rusty shade of dried blood. His gaze quickly moves on, surveying his cut-rate room. The space is narrow, holding little more than a simple cot and washbasin. It was cheap enough and he had no expectation of friendly company when he paid for it, so his only complaint is with those broken shutters.

Again... He reluctantly gets to his feet, straightening up from the corner he'd been leaning against fully clad. Can't seem to get warm these days...at least I won't be cold in Dis... He's already closing the shutters when he finally notices the clanging alarm bell. Finishing the action absentmindedly, he contemplates his best course of action. Poor weather might keep the would-be looters inside, but those small fry won't get me any credit anyway. The bow's probably useless in these winds, so I'll need to get close. I should find some fodder....help, I should find some help and then see what I'm up against.

His muscles remember what his mind does not and the hellbred has backpack on, his bow strung and secured before his thoughts catch up to his actions. A familiar cold sensation begins gathering in his fingers as the dark power running through his damned flesh readies itself to feast on life. The slight pain comforts him with its promise of death to his enemies. His hellish gaze frees him of any need for candle or lantern, so he moves confidently through the darkness toward the common areas of the inn. The continuing rumble of thunder makes it difficult for him to be sure of what the gathered figures are saying, but it seems safe to assume they are asking pointless questions. So, the only thing to do is apply some order to the chaos and see if they can be of use to his intended actions. His voice carries well despite the background noise, filled with confidence and accustomed to command.

"I am Covenant. If you can fight, follow me. We will not find the danger cowering in here."

Lady Moreta
2011-03-08, 10:05 PM
Bethany spun around, startled at the dwarf's bellow, instinctively shrinking back against the wall as he yelled at her. "I- I don't know," she stammered. "I heard the noise of the alarm bell and came downstairs to see what was going on. I haven't seen anything though," she finishes lamely. Bright green eyes widen in surprise as two halflings and a - something enter the room behind the dwarf and Bethany moves even further away.

"That's a good idea," she says, in response to the suggestion they go out together. "There is safety in numbers.

Wannabehero
2011-03-09, 01:53 AM
DM Post

As you gather in the common room, you find it to be strangely unoccupied save for yourself and these other disparate residents of the inn roused from their sleep. The hour must be very late for the room to be abandoned as it is, though you would expect at least the doorman to still be seated on his stool by the large oak door at the face of the inn. The only lights in the room come from the smoldering embers of the fireplace and a single dimly burning oil lantern hanging from a hook on the wall near you. The sounds of the storm and the ringing town bell are somewhat more muffled here, but the cries of people outside can also be heard above the din.

As you turn and question one another the oaken door to the inn bursts open, the silhouette of a large man wearing the green-on-blue tabard of the town guard filling the open doorway. Behind him you can see the whipping rain sheeting like waves in a tapestry as the storm continues to vent its fury. The night air seems to be illuminated in a diffused gray, flashes of lightning casting the man and open doorframe in a sporadic black-and-white contrast.

"TO ARMS!" the guardsman calls as his gloved hand catches the door rebounding off the inn's wall. "All citizens, TO ARMS! The town is under ATTACK!"

His eyes focus on your small group in the back of the room.

"This night is not safe, creatures in the dark are stealing away townsfolk! TO ARMS!"

Vladislav
2011-03-09, 11:14 AM
Under attack? By whom?

Suok nervously looks behind the man, trying to catch a glimpse of something in the pouring rain, reluctant to step outside before any information is gathered. On second thought, reluctant to step outside, period.

Spot, if relevant [roll0]

GodGoblin
2011-03-09, 04:50 PM
"Creatures? Of what kind?" Grimnir roars to be heard over the weather outside. He grips his elaborate crossbow in both hands and starts moving towards the guardsman and the door.

journeyman
2011-03-09, 06:49 PM
The hellbred actually smiles when the door bangs open and the call is given.

Points for drama but his dialogue needs work...after all, we're already armed. I suppose he'll expect us to follow him now. I can't have that, he'd get the credit for my heroic deeds. I'll have to upstage him quickly if I want to keep the group with me. Let's see what I have to work with...

The dwarf is eager to fight and asks the right questions, he'll make me look good if I can guess what he'll do and suggest it first. The half-elf is a frightened damsel in distress. Getting her safely through this situation should reflect well on me. I'd best try to keep her close. Halflings don't respond well to being ordered about, so I'll just have to keep moving and hope they follow. They might at least be useful as lookouts. I wonder if the dog can track anything in this rain? It's something to ask later... right now I need one more. Where's a self-sacrificing religious fanatic in fullplate when you need one? I can't risk the girl out there without a rear guard...

Toothy grin still dominating his visage, the would-be savior gives the guard a moment to answer, then steps forward into the midst of the group to ensure that he is noticed.

Savannah
2011-03-09, 10:20 PM
Dawn lay in her bed for a long moment after awakening. She sat up slowly, favoring one shoulder - a souvenir of one of the raids on her town, it always pained her when the rain started. Adventuring was so much easier when I was younger.... She finally recognized the alarm bells, and immediately began gathering her gear.

Stumbling down the stairs, still struggling with the last buckles on her armor, Dawn comes into the room just as the guardsman opens the door. After hearing his words, she gives up trying to get it settled properly and instead draws her warhammer and hurries towards the door. "Where are they?"

Wannabehero
2011-03-09, 11:13 PM
DM Post

The night is a thick haze of fog and pouring rain beyond the doorway. The calls and shouts of men and women are easily heard above the rumbles of thunder and constant sizzle of raindrops.

Spot DC 20 (DC 18 with low-light vision, DC 16 with darkvision) (OOC: Vladislav success)
Through the gloom you can barely discern a dark shape looming behind the guardsman. It is too dark and hazy to identify any features, but it appears to be roughly the size of a human, though far to low to the ground to be anyone walking upright. As you watch it, it seems to draw closer to the guard.
The tall guardsman pulls his gloved hand from the door, running the fingers up his face to pull rain-soaked hair free of his eyes. His vision less obstructed, he is temporarily distracted by the loud clanging of a strong-looking woman clad in plate armor clamoring down the stairs.

"Adventurers." The guard speaks, beginning the word as a question but ending it as a statement. "Good. Strange beasts have struck out of the night, snatching up people and carrying them away into the fog! All those of able-body are needed to repel this assault!"

He begins to turn to return outside when his eye catches the Hellbred. The guardsman's expression changes from one of earnestness to confusion, then to wary curiosity.

"Just what kind of adventurer's are you?" he asks.

Vladislav
2011-03-09, 11:24 PM
Careful, behind you! Suok screams to the guard, while his hand, by itself, so it seems, moves into a familiar posture. Darkest instincts and desires float the to the top of his consciousness and take control, thought and planning are pushed to the depths of his mind like broken toys deposited in the basement, and a bolt of dark energy is let fly at the creeping monstrosity.

Eldritch Blast [roll0] touch attack, [roll1] damage.
:smallfurious:

Wannabehero
2011-03-10, 12:14 AM
DM Post

The guard jerks at the sudden warning, beginning to turn and face the unknown threat while simultaneously dropping one hand to a sheathed sword on his belt. Before the guardsman can complete the turn the small halfling warlock's bolt of dark energy slams into the doorframe mere inches from the man's face. The guardsman shouts a curse as he flinches away from the flying oak splinters.

The expletive transforms into a sharp cry of alarm as a large shadow sweeps in behind the stunned guard, a carpet of dense fog accompanying it to flood through the doorway. Dark limbs wrap around the stunned guardsman's torso in flash, like the fingers of some giant black-skinned hand snapping shut. The man's cry abruptly breaks off as he is wrenched bodily from the doorway, disappearing into the night.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-10, 01:56 AM
"Bloody hell!" Bethany borrowed one of her father's favourite expletives, the words bursting out of her in surprise. She had been sidling away from the - whatever-it-was in the centre of the room, towards the halflings, now she simply stopped and hastily pulled her rapier free. Questions of the 'what the hell is he?' were put aside in favour of questions of 'what the hell was that?'

OOC:
Knowledge rolls of every variety I can think of that might be helpful to follow... unfortunately the screenshotting of my character sheet didn't work quite as well as planned and all I have is a big black rectangle instead of, you know - the sheet.

journeyman
2011-03-10, 02:27 AM
Spot [roll0]

The damned soul is already charging forward into the storm as the wisecrack escapes his lips without him really thinking it through...

"Hell? Yes, that's exactly the kind of adventurer I am. The blood will come when I catch that thing..." Whatever else he might have said is lost as the ticked off hellbred is swallowed up by the rain and mists.

You'd better be watching this o' Gods of Good. My only pair of clothes are already soaked, it's colder than Cania out here, and yet I'm risking eternal torment to rescue a guy too stupid to come in out of the rain and too ill-mannered to shut the door behind him.

Vladislav
2011-03-10, 09:55 AM
While everyone are scratching their head trying to understand what that thing was, Suok doesn't need any arcane knowledge to tell him the right response to something capable of grabbing a strong man without a struggle.

Someone close the bloody door!

In case no one does so immediately, he traverses the room as fast as his small feet will carry him and slams it shut himself. Locks and bolts it too, if possible.

Gray Mage
2011-03-10, 02:56 PM
Milo was lost in thoughts, figuring what those "creatures of the dark" could be and where his friends were. He sat down to think, taking his dagger from his boot, where it was safely hidden and began to juggle it with one hand, that always helped him concentrate. : Maybe they've already left and skipped town? Or had they stayed to fight? The others were pestering the guard with questions, but the poor man probably didn't kno- what in Avernus was that? "- The halfling was caugh unprepared for that sudden attack, surprize and fear written in his face. It took him a moment to regain his composture, upon when he notice his dagger not even an inch from his hand. On second thought, that probably wasn't the safest method of concentrating.- That thing caught the guard like he was nothing. Scary. 'This night is not safe' indeed.

Feeling a little better with the situation being in control again, Milo waits hand in his rapier's handle for someone to come foward and organize things. The gods know that he isn't fitted for that himself.

Savannah
2011-03-10, 08:13 PM
"Right, we need to go out there and see if we can't save some of those people. Did anyone recognize that thing?" Dawn looks around the group.

Wannabehero
2011-03-12, 01:51 AM
DM Post

The sudden violence in the small inn common room is shocking. One moment the guard is there, the next it is like he never was.

No sooner than the guardsman is snatched, Covenant charges headlong into the nighttime storm, thoughts of acts of almost selfless heroism contrasted by sarcastic personal monologue. The Hellbred seems to fade into the fog and rain mere seconds after he exits the door.

(journeyman)
Upon exiting the inn it takes you several moments, even through your darkvision, for your eyes to adjust to the new surroundings. The rain falls heavy and hard, sweeping in from odd angles as it is driven by fickle and chaotic winds. Your ears are filled with the all-pervasive sharp crashing of the merciless rain as it falls on cobblestone courtyards and roads, its sound very much like what you would imagine a landslide of gravel would produce. All around you the air is filled with a thick mist, though not nearly as thick and impenetrable as it seemed looking out from the doorway in the inn. The forms of men and women are visible through the rainfall and light fog, some running toward the cover of large dark buildings, others charging towards the sounds of men shouting and women screaming.

There is no sign of the guard from the doorway of the inn.

Suok runs up to the doorway on the heels of the Hellbred, though with a different purpose in mind. Just as the robed halfling grabs the heavy oak door to swing it closed Covenant disappears through the opening and into the night. The pint-sized wild warlock is stunned for a moment by the unexpected headlong charge of the strange-looking... man... and hesitates to close the door for the time being. He can't help but notice a fist-sized hole in the upper doorframe where some of the wood was very recently removed.

The rest of the inn's adventurous residents stare on at the scene. A waggish, roguish, and sometimes impish (along with many other -ishes) halfling swashbuckler, Milo, haphazardly recovers a troublesome dagger before visibly readying himself to follow a larger person's lead into the fray. Almost on cue the armor-clad and aged woman warrior Dawn steps forward and addresses her fellows. However, both the small and willowy half-elf bard Bethany, as well as the gruff and stout dwarven archivist Grimnir, seem distracted.

Bethany, despite her obvious fear at the moment, can't help but remember something she read in a book once about creatures that snatch people from out of the fog.

(Lady Moreta)
You remember reading an old children's story, it was more of a fable actually, that told of dark creatures called "mist snatchers" that would steal naughty children away if they wandered to far from home on a foggy night. The snatchers were said to carry the children away to a dark and forgotten land of wicked fairies where they would eat the children in great banquets. In the story a child escaped the mist snatchers, which were described as large, wet, black fairy dogs, by covering himself in a gray blanket, making the child appear to be just part of the fog.

At that same moment, Grimnir's mind works furiously as he sorts through the many, MANY creatures and hazards he has cataloged in his brain. A vague recollection of a similar situation that he was once told by a mad hermit seems to bubble to surface of his mind, like the teasing bubbles of a freshly poured brew.

(GodGoblin)
'Enry the 'ermit told you many things when you interviewed him several years ago, things which at the time you thought were absolutely ludicrous. Dedicated to your calling, you tried to memorize his crazed rantings anyway on the off-chance there was some true wisdom and knowledge in his rambling stories. Regardless, 'Enry the 'ermit once talked about an evil fog that came from nowhere. The fog, he claimed, would manifest its malevolence and desires in the form of dark and evil creatures. Sometimes these creatures would mislead or lure people into the fog, other times the creatures would attack and drag poor folk into the mists. In either case, if someone was dragged deep into the evil fog and didn't find thier way out before the fog faded, they were never seen again.

journeyman
2011-03-12, 03:15 AM
....that was quick. Hopefully someone I save will know who that was. He's going to be a hero for getting me involved. Maybe I can build him a Tomb of the Nameless Guard or something. I get the feeling that it wouldn't be the first time that I left a grave empty behind me. So, back to my first plan. Rally the rest of those bystanders and lead them toward the screams and fighting...on second thought, someone more forgiving can lead the way. If I appear out of this fog without warning, the very people I'm trying to help might do something incredibly stupid, like attacking me or running away screaming into the night. Screw it, nobody's going to get a look at my spells through this soup. I can't save anyone by getting killed here, so those people are just going to have to trust luck or faith until I get some more tangible support out here.

While he waits for someone else to work up the courage to follow him out, the damned not-that-much-of-a-fool will step aside and put his back to the wall while he casts a spell. Hopefully the wall comes with eaves, because manipulating destructive forces in the midst of a raging storm is every bit as fun as it sounds, but difficult to pull off even on a small scale. He takes a quick swig of the "medicinal brandy" to warm himself up and then uses it to trace certain protective sigils on his already unnaturally toughened flesh. The cacophony of the storm carries away his words as the necromancer races to complete his incantation before the rain can completely erase the sigils that will preserve him against the unwholesome power of unlife and life-ending wounds alike.

Concentration: [roll0] Casting False Life [roll1] temp hp. After casting the spell, he also takes the more mundane precaution of readying his heavy shield.

GodGoblin
2011-03-12, 02:20 PM
"Bah! I cannot remember anything specific but he might be alive if we can get to him in time!... Come on lets get a better look!" Grimnir roars as he charges out the door into the mists. I need specifics my lord then we can send them back to the abyss!

Savannah
2011-03-12, 02:31 PM
Dawn nods in agreement and follows Grimnir out the door, alert for trouble.

Spot [roll0], Listen [roll1]
Edit: :smallsigh: Die roller hates me.

Gray Mage
2011-03-13, 12:51 PM
The halfling follows the dwarf and the woman out of the inn, looking around and trying not to be scared of his own shadow. Being outside was dangerous, but staying inside waiting for the creatures make the first move didn't sound that good to him. Besides, the armor clad woman looks like she can take care of herself and of others as well.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vladislav
2011-03-13, 02:11 PM
Realizing he's about to be the only one left in the common room, Souk finally decides there's strength in numbers, and, with a deep sigh, follows the others out.

journeyman
2011-03-13, 04:09 PM
Well, well...there may be something to this prayer thing after all. Reinforcements right on time. I could get used to this. Let's see if I can get them moving in the right direction...

The hellbred has to shout to make himself heard over the storm, but since he needs immediate compliance that suites him just fine. Voice ringing with assumed authority, he bellows in a fine imitation of a training ground drill instructor. "Listen up! You need to stay together. Someone with a light, move to the middle of the group. We need the heavy armor up front and a lookout in the back. Master Dwarf, you have the eyes for it. Anyone that sees a threat, make a noise. I'll back you up. Remember, fight together or die alone! Now, let's save some lives. The fight is this way!"

Confident now that none of them will attack him out of sheer paranoia, the necromancer takes his place beside the woman with the heavy gear and points toward the screams and fighting with his free hand. His grim visage does nothing to inspire good will, but his voice is softly compelling as he speaks into her ear. "Let me be your eyes. Take your direction from me and I will not lead you astray." Without giving her time to think too much about it, Covenant sets out toward the conflict, careful not to move faster than the slowest member of the group.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-13, 10:41 PM
"Mist snatchers?" Bethany muses to herself, more incredulous now than afraid. Surely they are just a story told to young children to stop them wandering off. The creature that grabbed that man was no fairy tale. A rush of voices and movement had the young half-elf suddenly looking up and realising she was the only person left in the inn. While she had no real desire to go outside, she also didn't want to be the sole person left inside either. Taking hold of her determination in both hands, she marched towards the door. It's dark outside Bethany. Light your lantern. That little voice in the back of her mind that was always so sensible piped up then and Bethany promptly stopped and did exactly as it suggested.

She stumbled into the full force of the storm just in time to hear the whatever-he-was announce that they needed someone with a light. Curiosity What was he? and compassion for the poor unfortunate town soldier had her moving forwards, lantern held high.

"I have light!"

OOC:
I've just realised, when I was transferring all the equipment from the spreadsheet I used to work out cost and weight, I forgot to list the lantern on the actual character sheet. If I can add it later today (once I get access to myth-weavers, is it all right to allow Bethany to use the lantern? (just a normal one). I promise you she bought one, I just forgot to write it down. :smallannoyed:

GodGoblin
2011-03-14, 06:31 AM
"Right!" Grimnir scans the darkness for signs of movement while falling back behind the rest of the group At least someone knows what they are doing here, co-ordination should get us through this alive. Oddly dressed for a military man, looks like a mage but acts like a paladin, very perculiar.. Crossbow at the ready his finger gently running up and down the trigger, brow furrowed as he peers into the black.

Wannabehero
2011-03-16, 12:19 AM
DM Post

Your small group gathers together in the courtyard just beyond the entrance to the inn. The pouring rain immediately soaks through your clothing, stinging at your eyes as you peer through the misty haze. The sounds of people yelling and children crying cuts through the nearly deafening crashing of rain, accompanied by the sporadic roars of thunder and the constant ringing of the town bell. The nighttime mist that hangs in the air almost glows with a dull gray light; flashes of lightning occasionally casting the stormy landscape in sharp relief. The light of Bethany’s lantern illuminates the air around you with its brighter flickering glow.

Through the eerie near-darkness of the stormy night you can see the forms of men and women seemingly running in all directions, some towards the cover of large dark buildings, others charging off towards the edge of town. From the direction the figures are charging you can hear the sounds of more shouting and see the bobbing glow of more lanterns.

Spot DC 20 (DC 18 low-light, DC 20 Darkvision)
At the very edge of your vision you can spot other dark forms moving through the fog. These silhouettes are large but lurk nearer to the ground and seem to move with a speed and gait that leads you to believe they must run about on four legs. They seem dog-or-wolf like by your best guess, but appear far too large and thick around the neck and head. You are pretty sure they are the same as the creature that stole the guardsman from the inn’s door. When you look straight at them they seem to dart back into the fog.

Stealing yourselves against the storm and the chaos of the assault on the town, you move with haste down the paved street towards the more concentrated location of yelling and lights. Drawing closer you observe a small group of the town guard bearing lanterns and wielding swords accompanied by a half-dozen townspeople armed with whatever weaponry they could find. The guardsmen and townspeople appear unsure of what to do, visibly arguing as they gesturing wildly towards one another and the impenetrable fog beyond the reach of their lanterns. The roaring of the storm is too strong to make out what they are saying from this distance.

While you lean against the winds and try to protect your eyes from the ever-changing directions of the rain there comes a loud CRASH from a nearby building, followed almost immediately by a chorus of screams, both of men and women. Looking in the direction of the commotion you can see several large, dark, canine or feline forms burst forth from the windows of a sizeable elegant home, carrying what look to be people upon their backs. Based upon the jerking, struggling movements of the people and their mostly horizontal positions upon the creatures’ backs, your best guess is these people are not voluntarily riding whatever these things are.

The creatures with their human captives run swiftly for the thick fog on the edge of town.

A new cry calls out in the night from the broken windows of the house.

“Help! They’ve taken my wife and children! Somebody help!”

Lady Moreta
2011-03-16, 02:50 AM
The light from Bethany's lantern, combined with her own elven-enhanced eyesight have her hissing in disbelief as she stares at the shadowy figures. "They are mist-snatchers!" she cries, seemingly to herself. Looking around the group, she warns with fear in her voice, "Don't let them touch you!" Perhaps unnecessary, but Bethany can be rather obvious when she's afraid. And right now, she was afraid. Stretching to the limits of her limited height, she attempted to keep the lantern held as high as possible so all can benefit from its light. At the villager's anguished cry, her head snaps around to stare in his direction, her rain-soaked hair sticking to her back. She takes a hesitant step towards the man, wanting to help, then hesitates, looking to the group she has found herself among.

"We're going to help? Right?"

Vladislav
2011-03-16, 10:33 AM
Suok nods. As much as he'd like to just get out of here, walking the streets alone, even with Clovis by his side, is simply not an option. And it's not likely those snatchers will stop at some human children. A halfling might also seem appealing to them. Only way to survive, he knows, is to bring the fight to the enemy. Clovis, keep close.

if the running shadows are in range, he'll try to hit one of them with an Eldrtich Blast [roll0] dmg [roll1] (add +1 under 30')

GodGoblin
2011-03-16, 03:04 PM
"Of course we are!" Grimnir says in response to Bethany's question "We should figure out where they went... You! Halfling, can your companion sniff them out?" He directs towards Suok, while still scanning the darkness for a figure close enough to shoot.

Ready an action to launch crossbow bolt if on comes within range

Gray Mage
2011-03-16, 08:24 PM
Milo can see the dark figures almost out of sight, as if waiting for them to falter. They had to live through the night, and it's said there is strenght in numbers. Well, that was working just fine for the villagers, so he was relying in his blades, keeping his dagger where he can reach it, just to be sure. A well placed blade can do wonders when you lack strenght.

These 'snatchers seem to have a preference for smaller targets. *Sighs* Why can't those monsters pick someone on their own size? Hopefully they know the difference between halflings and human children.

journeyman
2011-03-17, 02:04 AM
Well...that's inconvenient. Normally I cast my spell first and then the enemy runs away. What in the hells am I supposed to do to make something stop running? Sapping the strength of one might force it to drop its passenger or slow enough to be caught, but I need to get fairly close. Besides, taking them one at a time will sacrifice at least some of the villagers. I don't want to make that choice. I need some way to intercept or slow the mistbeasts down. I didn't want to use this spell, but the ends may justify the means this time...

"Save them or avenge them, however the Gods decide." He responds to the girl's question. Providing comfort or using tact doesn't really play to his strengths and he's too busy thinking to even try. The dark cloaked figure points at Suok, red hand and horny nail protruding from his sodden black sleeve like the accusing finger of death himself. "You. Send your dog after them. We need to slow the creatures down somehow." With lives on the line and badly limited options, the hellbred's voice conveys a clear understanding that disagreement or discussion would not be welcome right now.

If Dawn is mounted, he'll settle for just saying "GO!" to her and leaving it at that.

As for his own action? This necromancer doesn't suffer the wizard's handicap of guessing his needed effects in advance, not the sorcerer's sadly limited collection of spells ever known. No, his limit is theme, to wield only the Art. Necromancy is not merely one school among many, though most practitioners see it as such and not even the strongest of schools at that. No, necromancy is the art of subtractive magic, a power fully on par with all creative magics combined. Perhaps he cannot trick the beasts with an illusion or bog them down by transmuting the earth beneath their feet, but he is not completely without options even in a situation so reversed from the tasks to which his spells are usually intended...

Vladislav
2011-03-17, 08:42 AM
His name is Clovis, he doesn't answer to "dog".

journeyman
2011-03-17, 05:24 PM
The charismatic hellbred resists the urge to immediately respond with violence and instead takes a half second to think about that response. Well, I never did like delegating anyway... He drops to one knee facing the hound and points toward the fleeing mistbeasts. The mud and muck of the street instantly soils his pantleg, but he ignores the added indignity for now. "Clovis, fetch!" , he commands with all his considerable force of personality. Regardless of the result, He then rises and starts running after the kidnapped villagers as well.

Strange day, five people doing my bidding already and the only name I've gotten so far is the dog's...

Vladislav
2011-03-17, 08:11 PM
What a strange fellow. Suok shook his head. Can't wait to die, so it seems. It's a good thing I only taught Clovis respond to our Halfling language.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-17, 10:46 PM
Well, he's a bit abrupt. What do you care? You don't like being talked to anyway. Point. Bethany found herself smiling, which was unusual for her when in a group of people, especially ones she didn't know. This - man? was abrupt, blunt and borderline rude, but he wasn't asking silly questions, wasn't trying to look for motives or get to know her. Which would be especially annoying considering the circumstances they were in.

You'd better get ready for a fight...I hate fighting. Would you rather get dragged away by a creature you thought was imaginary? Point. Looking unhappy about the prospect of fighting, Bethany nevertheless carefully loads her crossbow with a bolt then leaves it hanging from her belt where she can get it easily. Frowning slightly, she stares into the darkness around them.

"Can everyone see clearly? I can make more lights if they're needed."

OOC
I randomly decided that when Bethany talks to herself she does it as if she's having a conversation, hence why I've put her thoughts in two different colours, to differentiate better. No, she doesn't have any sort of split personality, she just likes to think at herself.

GodGoblin
2011-03-18, 05:03 AM
"Light?! Ha! The Great Maker has graced with a pair of Dwarven eyes, I will be fine girl" Grimnir blurts in typical Dwarven fashion, that is with little concern for other races.

GodGoblin
2011-03-18, 05:08 AM
Can I roll a Knowledge religion to recognise the Hellbred? Here it is in case I can [roll0]

Also @journeyman, what does Covenant look like? Being the guy who knows everything about everything Grimnir would probably recognise him unless he just looks human :smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-03-18, 03:30 PM
Dawn growls under her breath. With her armor, she has little chance of catching one of the creatures on foot, but if she called Diamond he wouldn't be saddled for riding and fighting bareback is a good way to wind up trampled on the ground. After a moment's hesitation, she sprints towards the stable, hoping that she can make up the time lost. Hearing Bethany's question, she calls over her shoulder, "Yes, light would be helpful!"

Lady Moreta
2011-03-18, 08:22 PM
Bethany turns to see the armoured woman running for the stables. Without a word, she concentrates, putting the lantern on the ground for a moment to free her hands for casting. Words and gestures later, four glowing lights, looking much like the light cast from the lantern appear. Another gesture from Bethany and they all move to follow Dawn.

OOC
Is a concentration check required to cast in the middle of a storm? I really have no idea of the rules... will make one anyway just in case.
Concentration:[roll0]
The lights can travel up to 140ft away from Bethany. She'll stay with the group as long as that's enough for Dawn to get her horse and back to them. If not, she'll offer to give the lantern to someone in the main group and go with Dawn instead.

Gray Mage
2011-03-26, 09:02 AM
Is...is the old lady separating herself from the group? Is she out of her mind? That's not going to end well. Gosh I wish I find the others soon and get out of this mess.

GodGoblin
2011-03-27, 02:55 PM
"Ah the lassie better not go on her own!" Grimnir trots off after the old paladin while she is still in view.