PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Magic items

Beelzebub1111
2011-03-08, 06:22 AM
Hello everybody. I need to come up with a bunch of magic items that count as artwork. Flashy, interesting, or even useless effects but wouldn't really to much...if anything at all, in combat.

some guy
2011-03-08, 06:41 AM
A painting which transports the viewer to the scene it depicts?

A painting that acts as a viewing screen of the scene it depicts?

A portrait that shows the subject as he/she currently looks? (extra points if adventurers find this painting somewhere discarded because the figure is recently deceased and it is too horrible to watch a loved one decay)

I'm currently working on a one-shot where a goblin painter tries to replace his murdered tribe with goblins painted with marvelous pigments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments). Which isn't possible so it all goes horribly wrong.

EDIT:
A painting of treasure, but the painting is actually a vault, just reach in and grab the treasure.

Maybe introduce some spells, like Flesh to Stone/ Stone to flesh, but which can be used to turn people into paintings and paintings into people.

JeminiZero
2011-03-08, 09:31 AM
Corby's Colourful Cups: Once per hour, you can activate the cup with a command word, and any liquid within has it, has its colour changed to a random primary colour. This does not change the taste, effect or any other property of the liquid. The effect lasts for 10 minutes.

Swika's Swirling Star-orb: This fist sized orb casts light as an everburning torch. Additionally, the orb itself appears to be filled with 2 different coloured fluids that flow and swirl constantly, which also affects the colour of the light it cast. (Like a magical lava lamp). More advanced versions have the 2 fluids constantly changing colour as well.

Irwin's Immediate Image: At will, this tiny trinket produces a single specific silent and still illusion (determined when it is first made), that lasts until it is shut off. The illusion is always suspended immediately above a given side of the trinket, and can be no larger than a 5 inch cube. Some wealthy folk commonly use this as a more fanciful version of the traditional picture-in-locket.

Some less discreet wealthy folk even fuse 2 such trinkets together, so that it produces an image of their wife with one command word, and an image of their mistress with a seperate command word.

Otherworld Odd
2011-03-08, 09:34 AM
A magic statue that does nothing except move to different positions if commanded. Perhaps it's completely stationary, it's feet in a giant stone block, to keep shenanigans at bay.

An 'eraser' that's able to erase walls, doors, etc. Of course it would run out after erasing so much material.

I know there were some paints that give you certain bonuses if worn but I can't remember where they're at.

Funkyodor
2011-03-08, 10:08 AM
Playing cards with animated pictures and backs. Could even be marked cards where the backside animation subtly hints at what the card is.

Crystal ball that displays a beautiful landscape at an unalterable location, great for relaxation.

Cyrion
2011-03-08, 10:36 AM
A set of balls that when thrown transform into a ball of fire, electricity, or an image of approximately the same size as the original ball. Upon contact with any physical object other than themselves, they revert to their original material. Originally designed to be used by those with ranks in Perform (juggling).

Beelzebub1111
2011-03-08, 02:29 PM
These are great, thanks. I especially like the juggling balls. Though I think I should have been more specific. I'm sort of looking for items that are portable more than anything else: Here's what I have so far:

I'm basically reading off what they look like to the players and they each get to pick one off the list
An iron cooking pot that heats itself, yet never burns its contents and can clean itself with a command word.

A hand mirror that shows you your "true reflection"

A deck of cards that always deals the same hand, no matter how it's cut

A Mahogany Box containing 6 champagne flutes made out of force energy

A 2 large artist's canvases that 'remembers' 9 paintings that have been painted onto it. and can be caused to shuffle through them with a command. If a 10th painting is added, then the artist must choose which one to delete. One holds depictions of the draconic aspects of the sovereign host, the other holds Their humanoid aspects.

A Bronze carpenter's hammer that never strikes flesh and never damages wood.

A carpet inlaid with what looks like a summoning circle. When used, it produces a cloud of dense smoke with two burning eyes in the middle and acts as the receptacle of a (suitably booming and distorted) ventriloquism effect.

A golden longsword with inlaid gems in the blade, each ability functions to a command word, The ruby gives off a 500' beam of red light. the sapphire gives off a 30' cone of blue light (additional 30' of shadowy illumination), the emerald gives off green light as a torch, and the diamond can use Color Spray 1/day due to the sword's metal it takes -4 on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws. After 10 successful hits it becomes warped and useless.

A scale model of a warforged titan, about 6 inches high, paired with a scale model of a horrific looking undead colossus of equivalent height. (when set within three feet of each other have a simulated battle)

A green wizard's hat with Copper, Silver, Gold, and Platinum thread weaved into it. (Presto's Hat)

A wooden rod that seems to be a different colour every time it's viewed and never the same color twice. (50 charge wand that produces a wild magic effect when a spell is cast through it)

A black mantle that seems to be decorated with dove feathers. (Feather Fall 1/day, Can conjure up to two doves at will as a standard action)

An ornate ivory stein decorated with bands of iron and etchings of werewolves (Changes any alcoholic liquid put inside to water)

A set of silver balls that when thrown transform into a ball of fire, electricity, or an image of approximately the same size as the original ball. Upon contact with any physical object other than themselves, they revert to their original material. Originally designed to be used by those with ranks in Perform (juggling).

NichG
2011-03-08, 04:17 PM
A set of glasses that allow the wearer to see things decomposed into simple shapes (commissioned by the apprentice of a painter)

A small multifaceted crystal that can capture an image in each of its facets and project it later if light is shone through that facet.

Magical paint that causes features painted with it to animate slightly in reaction to the viewer (so you can make eyes that actually follow the viewer, a hand that reaches out, etc). Also, a magical paint that makes whatever is painted with it appear to be truly 3d (holographic paint).

Echoes
2011-03-08, 06:36 PM
A sculpted silver flowerpot that each morning becomes magically filled with an arrangement of freshly-cut flowers.

A small engraved memory box which, when objects are placed inside and the lid is clasped shut, stops all decay of its contents.

A sheaf of draft paper that, when a command word is spoken, will blank its contents and become restored to original condition, paired with a magical quill and a separate command word which will copy the contents of the paper to another sheet. In the case of magical writings such as scrolls, the magic is activated as if by a failed Use Magic Device check centered on the paper.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-08, 06:46 PM
Delicately carved small alabaster golem to serve as a servant for simple tasks, bringing fruit and small platters of food for guests and such.

Beelzebub1111
2011-03-08, 09:39 PM
A sculpted silver flowerpot that each morning becomes magically filled with an arrangement of freshly-cut flowers.

A small engraved memory box which, when objects are placed inside and the lid is clasped shut, stops all decay of its contents.

A sheaf of draft paper that, when a command word is spoken, will blank its contents and become restored to original condition, paired with a magical quill and a separate command word which will copy the contents of the paper to another sheet. In the case of magical writings such as scrolls, the magic is activated as if by a failed Use Magic Device check centered on the paper.
Ooh! I like these. I think I have enough for my players to choose from...now, but a few more couldn't hurt.