PDA

View Full Version : Mordenkainen's sword - standard action, really?

ken-do-nim
2011-03-08, 10:09 AM
In the general section describing switching targets of a spell, it says it requires a move action. For spiritual weapon, a 2nd level spell, it says it is a move action. But for Mordenkainen's sword, it is a standard action to have the sword switch targets. Really? Typo?

At any rate, I allow it to be a move action. How about you?

*Bump* - fell off the first page already.

I bet nobody ever takes this spell, huh.

Qwertystop
2011-03-08, 05:49 PM
I took it as a spell on my character. The sheet is the first link if you search Ulafi on Google. (Surprising, I know)

Personally, I think that in any situation where there's a general rule and a specific one, the specific one trumps the general.

Tael
2011-03-08, 06:06 PM
I took it as a spell on my character. The sheet is the first link if you search Ulafi on Google. (Surprising, I know)

Personally, I think that in any situation where there's a general rule and a specific one, the specific one trumps the general.

This has nothing to do with specific and general rules.

I would say go for it, as it's a really bad spell for it's level, and it's evocation.

ken-do-nim
2011-03-08, 06:11 PM

I would say go for it, as it's a really bad spell for it's level, and it's evocation.

I used it in Return to Temple of Elemental Evil to help defeat Imix and his minions. Having it a move action to switch targets made it useful, I think. But of course back then I was just learning about optimizing.

Qwertystop
2011-03-08, 06:18 PM

What do you mean, nothing to do with specific/general?

In the general section describing switching targets of a spell, it says it requires a move action. But for Mordenkainen's sword, it is a standard action to have the sword switch targets.

ken-do-nim
2011-03-08, 08:07 PM
What do you mean, nothing to do with specific/general?

In that we all agree that the rules are clear; the question is are they fair. I believe that Mordy's sword has been given an uncalled for nerf by the specific rule cited in its description.