PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Skin and Hair

Macchu Picchu
2011-03-08, 12:05 PM
I'm curious, my DM, thinks that the Player's Handbook physical description for the common races probably shouldn't apply to the Eberron versions of themselves (due to the artwork of them in the books.) She created the houserule that elves are a little taller than described in the PHB, still short, but as tall as short humans (in the 5'2 to 5'4" range). But skin color is something I'm supposed to describe on my character sheet, so what colors should humans, halflings, elves, gnomes, half-orcs, and dwarves be? On that note what about their hair color? The same as humans? (And what should I write down if I decide my elf has caucasian skin tone?)

slaydemons
2011-03-08, 12:26 PM
About the caucasian thing I normally just put down pale or white, and if its other skin colors I would put tanned or dark

Edit: if they are those colors blue if its blue

grimbold
2011-03-08, 02:01 PM
ask your dm exactly what kind of setting he wants and also how much he cares

for example in a final fantasy type setting pink hair is fine
you can sometimes even get away with blue or pink characters

kaiserthe3rd
2011-03-08, 02:18 PM
First off, Orange text is orange.

On a more related note, The skin colors will vary just as much, if not more, than the skin colors in real life. I've always though that as far as hair colors go you'll find more "natural" hair colors more often in races such as human, half-orc, or halfing. But when it comes to the races which heavily dabble in magic such as Elves or Gnomes I feel they could have hair of every color of the rainbow.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-08, 02:20 PM
Yeah, ask the DM what kind of skin/hair colors are available, and pick from those.

Alternatively, look at Eberron artwork and go with what seems common there. Also, look in books to see if they say anything. Races of Ebberon might have information that is helpful for some of its setting specific races, for example.

Eberron is a big place, so its humans should run the gamut just like the real thing. There could also be much more exotic colors due to magic, monstrous/elemental bloodlines, and other such supernatural influences. Usually it is assumed that dwarves and elves and such, being humanoid mammals just like humans, are not all that far from human colors, though there are slight differences.