PDA

View Full Version : Why don't pearls of power work with spont. casters? (3.x)

randomhero00
2011-03-08, 01:37 PM
Such as a sorcerer. Or why isn't there an item that would work for them? Never understood why. Am I missing something?

Volthawk
2011-03-08, 01:44 PM
Don't know why, but RotD has the spontaneous version: Memento magica. They cost more, though.

gbprime
2011-03-08, 01:56 PM
The item you want is a Ring of Wizardry er... Sorcery. :smallbiggrin:

randomhero00
2011-03-08, 02:01 PM
good points, but there's no early level version. They're usually the first magic items I buy on wizards and such and they're great through their career.

Volthawk
2011-03-08, 02:09 PM
good points, but there's no early level version. They're usually the first magic items I buy on wizards and such and they're great through their career.

Memento magica go from 1 to 9, like pearls of power.

gbprime
2011-03-08, 02:09 PM

Early career, your best bet is to try and get a spell storing weapon. At 8200gp or so, it's far less efficient than pearls of power, but better than just using scrolls. And it's CHEAPER than a Memento Magica 3rd level.

randomhero00
2011-03-08, 02:11 PM
Memento magica go from 1 to 9, like pearls of power.

How much are they? Don't have RoTD. What's that even stand for?

Cyrion
2011-03-08, 02:14 PM
RotD is Races of the Dragon. A 1st level memento magica is 1,500; 2nd 6,000; 3rd 13,500, and they go way up from there.

dextercorvia
2011-03-08, 02:20 PM
A quick glance says they are 150% of the cost of the corresponding PoP, but there aren't any dual slot ones.

randomhero00
2011-03-08, 02:21 PM
RotD is Races of the Dragon. A 1st level memento magica is 1,500; 2nd 6,000; 3rd 13,500, and they go way up from there.

So like 50% more and you need a semi obscure book. Not really the solution I was thinking of. Why not just say pearls of power work for all spellcasters?

dextercorvia
2011-03-08, 02:24 PM
Wizards get the spell back they already cast. Sorcerers get a blank new open slot that they can pull any of their tricks out of. By 3.5 thinking, that is worth an extra 50%.

The company isn't called Sorcerers of the Coast.

randomhero00
2011-03-08, 02:27 PM
Wizards get the spell back they already cast. Sorcerers get a blank new open slot that they can pull any of their tricks out of. By 3.5 thinking, that is worth an extra 50%.

The company isn't called Sorcerers of the Coast.

Yeah, and wizards get to put in tons of spells in their book to change out next day. Wizards = super high amount but must change out once a day. Sorcerer = limited amount but can change a few a few times a day.

That seems fair to me.

Endarire
2011-03-08, 08:28 PM
Remember, Skip Williams- one of the 3.5 authors- hated Sorcerers.

That's my theory.

JKTrickster
2011-03-08, 08:30 PM
Really? Why did he hate sorcerers?

0Megabyte
2011-03-08, 09:06 PM
The Memento Magica is also in the MIC, guys.

So no, they aren't in an obscure book at all. They're in the first level of expanded core. That is, core, XPH, SP and MIC, together. The completes form a second level, in my opinion.

ffone
2011-03-08, 09:33 PM
Tangential gripe:

That the metamagic rods confer on prepared spellcasters the big 'advantage' that spontanteous-caster metamagic has - namely, it's applied spontaneously too.

...but spont-casters who use the rods still have the time increase (and so can't use the Quicken one).

Most things (feats, items, PrCs) for arcane casters seem to be like this - their design makes sure that they won't be (much) better for sorcies than wizzies, but might let them be worse/useless for sorcies.

Kobold Esq
2011-03-08, 09:43 PM
Remember, Skip Williams- one of the 3.5 authors- hated Sorcerers.

That's my theory.

Spontaneous casters are regularly screwed. Sorcerer to wizard is just the most obvious screwing. Favored Soul to Cleric at least gives some minor class abilities, but had the dual casting stats. Plus, the removal of turn undead makes it impossible to qualify for huge numbers of divine feats or prestige classes.

Fox Box Socks
2011-03-08, 09:46 PM
I'd have to say it's probably another instance of WotC overestimating the power of spontaneous spellcasting vs prepared casting (WotC was under the impression that being able to spontaneous cast anything on your spell list was just waaaaaaaaaaaaay powerful at the start of 3e).

The Cat Goddess
2011-03-09, 02:42 PM
Spontaneous casters are regularly screwed. Sorcerer to wizard is just the most obvious screwing. Favored Soul to Cleric at least gives some minor class abilities, but had the dual casting stats. Plus, the removal of turn undead makes it impossible to qualify for huge numbers of divine feats or prestige classes.

Yeah...

I usually just say Favored Souls can Turn Undead as a Cleric two levels lower... kinda like a Paladin.

Edit: I also usually give Sorcerers bonus Sudden Metamagic Feats, much like Wizards get bonus Metamagic Feats.