PDA

View Full Version : Slow-Paced Polymorph Spell [3.5]

Mabmoro
2011-03-08, 04:43 PM
Backstory:
This spell was something I worked with my GM on a play-by-post game to create. It was designed as a spell to be used by clerics of the God of Agriculture, as a replacement Animal Domain spell. We were less than thrilled with the Save-Or-Die nature of Baleful Polymorph (and my character was too low-level to cast it anyway), so we came up with this.

Apologies in advance for any mistakes in formatting or spelling.

------------------------------------------------------

Down-Home Old-Fashioned Baleful Transformation

Transmutation [Polymorph]
Level: Animal 3 (Replacement)
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: One Standard Action
Range: Close (25 feet plus 5 feet/3 levels)
Target: One Creature
Duration: One hour or permanent (see text)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates, Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell is granted to clerics of the God of Agriculture to use against people who threaten those the God holds dear, and to provide proper compensation in the form of a new farm animal. When cast on a person, the cleric must choose an animal that is found on the average farm, which the victim will begin to change into.

The spell takes one round to cast, but takes eight rounds to fully take effect.

Four rounds is needed for a full physical transformation, and then four rounds for a mental one as well.

{table=head]Round|Effect|Save
1|None (cosmetic)|Fort
2|-4 Dex, staggered|Fort
3|Gains natural weapons, cannot wield equipment|Fort
4|Form of animal, retains mental stats|Fort
5|-2 Int (minimum 1)|Will
6|confused|Will
7|Dazed, Int reduced to 3|Will
8|Assumes animalistic behaviors|Will
[/table]

If the spells ends before the final save, the changes wear off in one hour.

Material component: A piece of fur or a feather from the chosen animal.

------------------------------------------------------

Opinions?

Qwertystop
2011-03-08, 04:50 PM
Wish this was a Sorc spell.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-03-08, 10:09 PM
Kinky.

Anyways, it should have the [Polymorph] subschool. The duration should be "8 rounds or permanent (see text)". Saving throw should be "Fortitude negates, Will negates (see text)" Sorc/Wiz 4 and Drd 3 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I don't like the design. This same level, clerics get bestow curse, which is a lot cooler and permanent with a single saving throw. I would make them start suffering penalties immediately, and have them get progressively worse (3rd round should be on par with bestow curse.)

EDIT: Also, the statistical penalties should come first. To limit abuse, you should list exactly which animal forms are possible. A material component couldn't hurt either.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-03-20, 06:51 PM
I like the idea but what happens if a later save succeeds? Like the fourth and final will save? Will they still be physically an animal and 75% animal? Or will they slowly revert? And if Remove Curse is used, what happens? Does the target revert mentally and physically? Or would it require multiple applications to remove each affect? This effect seesm kinda over powered if it wasn't for the multiple saves neccesary. But again its confusing what happens when a save is successful after the first. A little bit of elaboration and clarification is neccesary.

Mabmoro
2011-03-20, 09:00 PM
I like the idea but what happens if a later save succeeds? Like the fourth and final will save? Will they still be physically an animal and 75% animal? Or will they slowly revert? And if Remove Curse is used, what happens? Does the target revert mentally and physically? Or would it require multiple applications to remove each affect? This effect seesm kinda over powered if it wasn't for the multiple saves neccesary. But again its confusing what happens when a save is successful after the first. A little bit of elaboration and clarification is neccesary.

Any save will end the progression at the current point. The effect will end in one hour if a save is successful, otherwise it's permanent. It's not technically a curse, but anything that would cure a regular Baleful Polymorph will work on this.

jiriku
2011-03-21, 12:34 AM
This is much more complicated than it needs to be. I'd suggest a little shorthand, something like this:

{table=head]Round|Effect
1|None (cosmetic)
2|-4 Dex, staggered
3|Gains natural weapons, cannot wield equipment
4|Form of animal, retains mental stats
5|-2 Int (minimum 1)
6|confused
7|Dazed, Int reduced to 3
8|Assumes animalistic behaviors[/table]

Or something to that effect. You want to avoid repeatedly recalculating Int, damage, etc, and you want to minimize unnecessary rolls. Imagine that you cast a chained version of this spell on ten enemies at once -- if the bookkeeping would be burdensome, then the spell is probably too complicated.

Mabmoro
2011-03-21, 09:32 AM
Anyways, it should have the [Polymorph] subschool. The duration should be "8 rounds or permanent (see text)". Saving throw should be "Fortitude negates, Will negates (see text)" Sorc/Wiz 4 and Drd 3 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I fixed the first part of that, thanks! The spell is actually specifically granted to clerics of that particular god only, but if anyone wants to use it for their own games, then I'd agree with the extra classes.

*Snip*

Thanks, I like the way you phrased it.

Edited the spell with the suggestions! Hows it look now?