PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors and... beer?

Enterti
2011-03-08, 07:29 PM
Greetings once again fellow denizens of the playground! As you all know St. Patrick's day is just around the corner and in celebration I will be running the classic Tomb of Horrors dungeon(3.5 revision). Now I would like to run a drinking game based on this illustrious dungeon and thus I turn to the forum to build a drinking game to run along with the tomb!

I shall compile the rules that I feel are best suited for maximum enjoyment on this post
(note playing with all rules in effect may not be the best idea)
-Every time a player says "WHY GODS, WHY?!" you take a drink
-Finish your drink every time you die
-Drink whenever you trigger a trap
-Drink every time you have to make a save
-Balance a cup on your head and walk across the room and back whenever you get a no-save-just-die. If you make it without the cup falling, you don't die. However if you fail you must take a shot
-Every time something terrible happens because of a statue, the party member who in the group's opinion most resembles the picture of the statue in the book has to finish his drink
-If you die from the [orb of annihilation in the statue's mouth], EVERYONE finishes their drink.
-Whenever you roll a natural 1, you drink.
-Whenever you roll a natural 20, the DM or a player of your choice drinks
-When a room gets flooded with liquid... EVERYONE DRINKS
-Everytime someone says "It's a trap", take a drink

Weezer
2011-03-08, 07:39 PM
How about this for a simple one:
Drink whenever you trigger a trap.
Finish your drink every time you die.

Though that would probably lead to alcohol poisoning...

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-08, 07:39 PM
Every time a player says "WHY GODS, WHY?!" you take a drink. Every time a character dies in a comical manner, you take a drink. Every time you take a drink, take a drink.

Enterti
2011-03-08, 08:16 PM
This is exactly the kinds of things I want to see, keep the ideas coming!

Maybe some rules for specific traps, such as the orb

SurlySeraph
2011-03-08, 08:23 PM
Drink every time you have to make a save.
Balance a cup on your head and walk across the room and back whenever you get a no-save-just-die. If you make it without the cup falling, you don't die.
Every time something terrible happens because of a statue, the party member who in the group's opinion most resembles the picture of the statue in the book has to finish his drink.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-08, 08:24 PM
If you touch the orb, you have to take a shot of black sambuca.
Hmm, black sambuca over vanilla ice cream, sounds delicious.

RTGoodman
2011-03-08, 08:47 PM
How about this for a simple one:
Drink whenever you trigger a trap.
Finish your drink every time you die.

Those are pretty good. Also:

-If you die from the [orb of annihilation in the statue's mouth], EVERYONE finishes their drink.
-Whenever you roll a natural 1, you drink.
-Whenever you roll a natural 20, the DM or a player of your choice drinks.

Alternate Optional Rule: You can voluntarily drink to get a hint/clue from the DM.

Pentachoron
2011-03-08, 08:55 PM
Tomb of Horrors drinking game? BRILLIANT!

I'm definitely going to steal this for my own game.

Human Paragon 3
2011-03-08, 09:26 PM
When a room gets flooded with liquid... EVERYONE DRINKS.

Kobold Esq
2011-03-08, 09:51 PM
Oddly enough, our party found the Tomb fairly easy, and practically boring. Though we did have a solid skillmonkey, the only death was due to DM adjudication on something not spelled out anywhere. I stuck a stick or something into the statues mouth, and DM said I had to make a reflex save or it would pull the stick, and my character, in before I could let go. I'm not certain I could ever think of a time in my life I would have a death grip on something other than a weapon that would cause me to not let go if that much force was applied.

because of that experience, I was left very disappointed.

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-08, 11:11 PM
Oddly enough, our party found the Tomb fairly easy, and practically boring. Though we did have a solid skillmonkey, the only death was due to DM adjudication on something not spelled out anywhere. I stuck a stick or something into the statues mouth, and DM said I had to make a reflex save or it would pull the stick, and my character, in before I could let go. I'm not certain I could ever think of a time in my life I would have a death grip on something other than a weapon that would cause me to not let go if that much force was applied.

because of that experience, I was left very disappointed.

Yea, they really toned down the 3.5e version!

To really drive home that point, I made this thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163734

It takes a while to get to useful posts, but they do exist in there.

ericgrau
2011-03-08, 11:13 PM
To overcome certain delicate traps, rather than roll skill checks, you undergo various feats of balancing... after all the drinks you've already had. If you fail you drink.

Enterti
2011-03-08, 11:17 PM
@ Duncan- go ahead also sigging when I am next at my real computer

@Kobold- I haven't told my players what it is(besides one of them) and only that it would be a one shot with an attached drinking game (and to have 3 characters ready)

@ everyone else- all rules posted thus far will make it in, I especially enjoy surly's method of living through no saves, might make them take a shot if they fail though. Keep em coming!

Jinn Master
2011-03-09, 02:47 AM
If the entire party wipes in one room, everyone has to do body shots off of each other. That could be awesome, horrifying, or both, depending on the composition of your group. :smallcool:

Eldan
2011-03-09, 03:43 AM
How about:

Whenever you die, you may take one (or two) drinks, and in exchange, your character gets resurrected at the entrance.

Longcat
2011-03-09, 03:58 AM
Whoever jumps to the Astral plane picks up the tab :smallbiggrin:

Enterti
2011-03-09, 08:10 AM
If the entire party wipes in one room, everyone has to do body shots off of each other. That could be awesome, horrifying, or both, depending on the composition of your group. :smallcool:

Congratulations, you have successfully grossed me out

Bayar
2011-03-09, 08:13 AM
Everytime someone says "It's a trap", take a drink.

cupkeyk
2011-03-09, 08:25 AM
It's saint patricks day. Lets use many different types.

For Red themed stuff: A Strawberry Timmerman's Submarine.
For Black Stuff: Murphy's
For Black and White stuff: Black on white (Murphy's on Hoegaarden)
For White stuff: HoeGarden
Yellow stuff: Timmerman's Peach Submarine
Greenstuff: Grolsh!
Blue stuff: Chimay 10 (is that the blue one?, chimay comes in red, yellow and blue labels depending on alcohol content 6%, 10% and 14% I think.)

grarrrg
2011-03-09, 11:03 AM
If the entire party wipes in one room, everyone has to do body shots off of each other. This will beThat could be awesome, horrifying, or both, depending on the composition of your group. :smallcool:

Fixed that for you.

Enterti
2011-03-09, 07:33 PM
List is updated, Keep em coming guys

Surrealistik
2011-03-10, 10:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Orangefinger/sureisboring.png

Gee, it sure is alcohol poisoning around here...

faceroll
2011-03-11, 03:47 AM
In Russia, we have drinking game called finish vodka where you drink until vodka all gone.

Eldan
2011-03-11, 04:29 AM
In Switzerland, we have a drinking game called Fondue, which mostly consists of getting people to eat a mixture of cheese and alcohol until they get sick. So?

Cespenar
2011-03-11, 04:49 AM
Every time you take a drink, take a drink.

This seems to be the best idea so far.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2011-03-11, 10:44 AM
Any time you get teleported naked to the entrance of the Tomb, finish your drink.

If somebody does something that gets the party killed, everyone takes a drink except for the poor bastard that caused the party death. That guy has to finish his drink.

Any time you fall in a pit, take a drink.

Any time you recite part of the poem left by Acererak, take a drink.

Socratov
2011-10-18, 07:33 AM
confirmed crit: a player of critting player's choice drinks, passed save for a save-or-die: DM drinks, BEG dies? go to the pub and ruin your liver.

also: everyone has this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Quadrimurfractiphobia_%283.5e_Flaw%29), but when triggered it makes you take a shot...