PDA

View Full Version : (Exalted 2nd ED journal log) Rise of Virtue and the Return of the Scarlet Empress

Slade
2011-03-08, 07:49 PM
Well gang, Slade here, and time once again for rousing tales of Solar
(and Lunar and Terrestrial) awesomeness and daring do.

For those of you with long memories, the circle is from my last game are back, and now the end times of Exalted are upon us.

I will post a recap of the characters and all the awesomeness we were involved in when I have a real keyboard in front of me (currently on an android phone) as a reminder to myself and my players (since almost a year has past since last time).

The story begins in the ruins of the first age city of Virtue, torn from the Wyld and formed by Mozhan (my character first age incarnation) using Wyld cauldron technology with help from his circle mates.

The city is well over 400 miles in diameter, and house several military installations and Factory Cathedrals, and living quarters for 300 million (mostly Wyld shaped) inhabitants. It did not fare well during the usurpation. In the 2500 years since, the factory cathedrals Have lost power, the surrounding desert has encroached (thanks to Cecelyene and some Infernals, more on that later) and city's former glory has vanished.

Our party began with a full circle + 1 extra Eclipse. While adventuring in the Scavenger Lands, we discovered a Sidereal and with a bunch of plot exposition later, we wound up in Virtue, discovered the state of disrepair, and encountered a bunch of Infernals that had caused several desecration effects that lead to all the dang sand in the area (on top of having no maintenance done for the last 1500 years).

One massive fight scene later, we have several dead Infernals, and a lot of purifying to do. Turns out the Infernals where about to desecrate the main cathedral to the Unconquered Sun, which really rustled Erdrick's jimmys to no end.

Later, the party began to work to free and unify the Scavenger Lands against the Scarlet Empire. Working with Lookshy (where we picked up our Twilight) we were set at our target: Greyfalls.

After a serious comedy of errors (including my first limit break, and a dead abyssal) we were able to set up Greyfalls as an independent nation after kicking out the rabid general and most of the Immaculate Monks (some of which were deemed heretical by their fellows).

To cement our little allied kingdom, our Twilight began to work on a Factory Cathedral to show the newly established kingdom our good intentions. With that little chore out of the way, we began to educate the masses in proper Cathedral repair and maintenance which required us to establish a system of higher education. Which was really boring for the most of us. Oh, and at some point, Greyfalls decided to join the Confederation of Rivers, effectively becoming Lookshy's rival.

Much later, we returned to Lookshy, having taken care of Greyfalls from (effectively) being a threat. Next, the Lookshy inner council next asked us to deal with the Bull of the North. Which we did, by getting the heavy metal viking piss drunk with his circle and convincing them to head northwest, away from Lookshy (and their might have been some social combat involved somewhere, but honestly, we were too drunk to remember).

We head back to Lookshy, and so far the council is impressed. Two of their biggest threats to Lookshy National Security were taken care of, but they wanted us to deal with two more; Ma-ha-Suchi and Thorns/ Mask of Winters.

But first, we attended to some of the infrastructure of Lookshy; first, we rebuilt the Lookshy Factory Cathedral that was in the underground area, then we built an Atelier Manse outside near that solar aspected Demesne they had in the area (long story on that one, *wink*)

It was then that we took off to deal with Ma-ha-Suchi.was a bigger threat at the time, so we took our leave to deal with Ma-ha-Suchi. In the mean time, our Twilight took it upon himself to build a new skyship, Heaven's Vengeance. Packing serious heat, we then flew to meet Ma-Ha-Suchi.

After that little adventure, we went to our hiding spot, and with serious 2nd circle demon help and breaking solar circle sorcery we turn a valley into a skyship dry-dock and manufacturing center. We don't tell anyone about it, and return to Lookshy all the returning heroes.

And at some point in all this, we gain control of the 5 metal shrike. Which is cool, because now we can say "We need 5 Metal Shrike power, now!" and do the cool "Summon the Megazord" pose.

So, with our skyship manufacture in place, our hidden weapon on hand, and with Lookshy on our side, we make plans to invade Thorns. Except those plans are complete lie. We lie out our *ss about it, and that way MoW gets ahold of false plans that call for us attacking 2 weeks later then we actually do.

So, we take our skyships that where built in the lost valley and lead the attack all metal like. We have heavy infantry, assault ships, and the works. MoW realizes that he has already lost Thorns, and retreats to Juggernaut, where he has the quasi-undead behemoth attack the city.

Our response? Say it with me:
(but first, play this as you say it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0KOfTV1dbc ))
"We need 5 Metal Shrike Power now!"

While our Dawn Caste engaged Mask of Winters head on inside the guts of (as a distraction) we had the 5MS fly in and obliterate Juggernaut. In HALF.
(If that scene playing out in your head doesn't make you smile, you have no soul.) We also freed MoW abyssals in the fight.

So, in light of this recent victory, Lookshy send people down, pissed that we jumped the gun, but terrified that we have our own navy. SKY navy. So, we give them the town (which was the plan all along) and let it become the Southern boarder of the Confederation of Rivers, and our twilight (with some serious wyld shaping awesomeness; don't ask me how) turned Thorns into a sky ship naval base for Lookshy's perusal. MoW abyssals all turned on him (and he vanished into the underworld) and now work for the Confederation of Rivers in some fashion (will post who is what in the Confederation of Rivers later).

Seeing that Lookshy is now a superpower on par with the Realm, the Solars decided that it was time to depart, and head south, back to Virtue. And this is where the game begins, 6 months down the line.

Slade
2011-03-08, 11:42 PM
Exalted Character Roster:

Shichirou, the Golden Hammer of the Sun.
The Dawn Caste Martial Artist from the preexisting game, this dangerous individual is the damage dealer of the group.

Cashius, The Crafter of the Gods
The Twilight Caste Occult, Lore, and Crafter expert, and can build anything at any time.

and...

Erdrick of the Golden Warblade, General of the Armies of Creation ("self styled")
General, leader, and moral (maybe self righteous?) center of the Circle, Erdrick has been busy cleaning the main cathedral (non-factory) from the Cecylene desecration charms inflicted on the main chapel (they are being hard to cleanse.)

and now introducing the "new guy", 400+ exp Water Aspect Dragon Blooded out-caste that has mastered both Golden Janissary style and Falling Blossom style and has been inducted into the Celestial Martial Art techniques of the Temperance Style. This water aspect is a Dragon of a different color (meaning he has Necromancy instead of Sorcery) and his name is
Crimson Flood Green-Shard, Sifu of the Crashing Wave Dojo.

(I will update this roster once more people have joined.)

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-09, 06:47 AM
Seeing that Lookshy is now a superpower on par with the Realm, the Solars decided that it was time to depart, and head south, back to Virtue. And this is where the game begins, 6 months down the line.Er, so does this mean we're going to pretend the whole "liberating the Southern satrapies and getting Essence 8 Sidereals jumping out of our oatmeal" bit never happened? Or were you simply not including that part?

Slade
2011-03-09, 11:32 AM
Well, there is that but, remember, the liberation of the Southern states thing didn't quite go according to plan.

Other than An-teng and the Lap, the rest are still at the status quo. An-teng was freed and is now a nation in its own right. We fixed the Supplicant of Endless Power and liberated the Lap from the Realm, and is a trading center and Guild base.

Harbor-head was a failure, thanks to the organized efforts of the Sidereals, and some very well (a little too well?) organized dragon blooded generals. It would have caused too much collateral damage to win. We need a city to control, not a pile of rubble.

Chiaroscuro, Erdrick's home town, was under the control of a first age lunar who was actually behind the Delzahn Horde. So, that place is still status quo as normal.

Paragon is not under Realm control, so we didn't go there.

The Varang City States and their funky astrological lead government wouldn't listen (It's not in the stars!) so we left them alone.

And we never got around to Gem, and dealing with our Abyssal side project. Yet.

Oh, and what Sidereal fate ninjas? *wink wink*

Slade
2011-03-13, 09:55 PM
Well we got are first session underway, and in a stunning example of player derailing the original plot; our new Terrestrial realizing that we are much bigger fish then he realized, decided to tell us about this ancestor cult up in the Hislanti League killing and sacrificing people left right and center (the player put it in much more epic terms).

So we send the Five Metal Shrike at him and Erdrick, Cashius, and Shichiru.

And I had to come up with all this off the top of my head. Thanks players. Next session is the PC's exposing the Ancestor Cult, leading an inquisition to cleanse it, and meeting with the big Old Lunars that run the place.

Yea, I know not much happened this session, but again the Players derailed the plot.

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-13, 11:18 PM
...Yea, I know not much happened this session, but again the Players derailed the plot.The "plot" being that twenty-minute period where we sat around the table, eyeing each other awkwardly and asking each other what we're going to do...?

Also, you got my character's name wrong. Twice, in two different ways. :smalltongue:

Slade
2011-03-14, 07:11 PM
The "plot" being that twenty-minute period where we sat around the table, eyeing each other awkwardly and asking each other what we're going to do...?

Also, you got my character's name wrong. Twice, in two different ways. :smalltongue:

You know me, I don't like to force the issue, especially in Exalted, and especially since we are major power characters.

Far better to have the PC's invested in the plot (even if it is only one of the PC's) than to go 'over there' and deal with something else *cough cough* Autothonians *cough cough* that they are not invested in.

And fine, how do you spell it?

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-15, 12:47 AM
Shichirou. The sobriquet being "Fist of Heaven," not "Golden Hammer of the Sun." Though if I was playing a melee character, I'd probably go with that. :smalltongue:

Slade
2011-03-19, 11:18 PM
As quoted by the Twilight Cashius from tonight's game:
"Since the North is a bunch of b*llsh*t and *ssholes, we are going to go off and mess up someone else's cheerios."
Well said Cashius.
So, we head up to the League and poke around their place, and do the proper protocols for meeting with the big dogs (pun very much intended) of the League. Eventually, we score a meeting with a well connected lunar.

Who promptly tells us to shove off; we can handle the Death Cult. Since they have done such a bang up job so far, we three solars decide that they can deal with it themselves.

We still meet with the Bull and tell him to avoid the League since they are a good stabilization force for the north, instead they should focus on heading to Whitewall and the Northern Shore of the Inner Sea as their area of focus. After some negotiating with them, they agree to it if we fix their warstrider. Which Cashius, being Cashius, does.

He head south, and after meeting with Rayden, our 'pet sidereal' buddy, says he has "discovered" a gold mine 1000 east of Gem and found the paper work that was hidden during the Usurpation *cough cough* and you can take it *cough cough*.
Translation: Go Wyld shape you a gold mine, and we will Neighborhood Relocation Scheme it over to your city.

Cashius makes the Mine, then builds a smelting forge for the raw gold to be smelted into usable bricks, and once that is almost done,
THE WORLD GOES ON ITS SIDE. Sharp stabbing pains course through the Exalts, including the NPC sidereals, and after a WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT MOMENT, the pc's investigate.

Turns out the Ebon Dragon just made 5 Alchemical pseudo-Akumas all at once in the area, and for thousands of miles around it was tainted with a blasphemy effect. The PC's get to the scene thanks to HYPERSPACE spells, and when the Ebon Dragon spots them, he uses Time Dilation effects to launch several dozen social flurries at the solars. Instead of relying on dice for this, I took both players and had them role-play with me one on one describing the character to a T and point out all their flaws and weaknesses (hard at Essence 6 & 7 respectively, mind you) and tell them that their actions served no purpose in the long run; just give up now.

This was especially hard for Cashius, since he had a Vice. That alone meant he had no way to stop the Ebon Dragon from reading his "character sheet", but left it totally up to him "to refuse all knowledge". In short, thanks to a weakness, it was a perfect attack. But since Investiture of Infernal Glory requires absolute free will, he couldn't Social Fu him into accepting it. Free will, it is a pain. Naturally, they tell him to go pound sand, so, Ebon Dragon just made their limit break 4 times in a row. Ya know, as a present.

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-20, 06:28 PM
You forgot to mention my idea and how we implemented it. :smallamused:

Essentially, one of the things I wanted to do ever since the Realm Civil War started was keep an eye on it. Of course, my suggestions that we pop over stealthily to the Blessed Isle were constantly met with a very rapid "No" from Erdrick. That's when I went to Cashius and asked if there was something we could whip up to accomplish this. We bandied ideas back and forth, until I said, "Wait, Cashius. You can Wyld Shape people into existence. Why not just make some that look like ordinary Realm citizens, give them a means of secretly communicating with us, and then seed them on the Blessed Isle?"

The resulting "That's it!" practically rattled the windows.

Our plan was set: following that, Cashius strode into the chaos that surrounds Virtue, and came back with a force of 10,000 mortals - essentially, all of them were shaped into existence as efficient spies, after which we had Erdrick preach Intimacies of loyalty into the lot of them. 1% of those would have their Essence enlightened, and then be taught the Infallible Messenger spell, and given the "Gem of Visitations" hearthstone that allows the bearer to receive Infallible Messengers mentally. That's right, Cashius built a massive block of manses in the Wyld adjacent to Virtue, including a five-dot manse that does nothing but collate all the information for us; he even built them to be outside Fate so that neither the Bronze nor Gold Faction would notice. Since the shaped mortals don't have a strand in the Loom of Fate, they are likewise immune to the prospect of Sidereals reading them.

The whole process took about a month, it was between us returning to Virtue and us meeting with the Sidereals.

Slade
2011-03-20, 10:08 PM
You forgot to mention my idea and how we implemented it. :smallamused:

Essentially, one of the things I wanted to do ever since the Realm Civil War started was keep an eye on it. Of course, my suggestions that we pop over stealthily to the Blessed Isle were constantly met with a very rapid "No" from Erdrick. That's when I went to Cashius and asked if there was something we could whip up to accomplish this. We bandied ideas back and forth, until I said, "Wait, Cashius. You can Wyld Shape people into existence. Why not just make some that look like ordinary Realm citizens, give them a means of secretly communicating with us, and then seed them on the Blessed Isle?"

The resulting "That's it!" practically rattled the windows.

Our plan was set: following that, Cashius strode into the chaos that surrounds Virtue, and came back with a force of 10,000 mortals - essentially, all of them were shaped into existence as efficient spies, after which we had Erdrick preach Intimacies of loyalty into the lot of them. 1% of those would have their Essence enlightened, and then be taught the Infallible Messenger spell, and given the "Gem of Visitations" hearthstone that allows the bearer to receive Infallible Messengers mentally. That's right, Cashius built a massive block of manses in the Wyld adjacent to Virtue, including a five-dot manse that does nothing but collate all the information for us; he even built them to be outside Fate so that neither the Bronze nor Gold Faction would notice. Since the shaped mortals don't have a strand in the Loom of Fate, they are likewise immune to the prospect of Sidereals reading them.

The whole process took about a month.

Crud! I knew I forgot something! Ah well, the Spy network is running the background as a LINETS anyways.

But, yes, he did whip up a 5 dot spy network for the circle, which I guess 'technically' would belong to Erdrick since its tied to Virtue, and he did put in a bunch of social fu intimacies, but that would be splitting hairs. The long term plan of putting in a spy network IN ALL 5 DIRECTIONS would be a good undertaking.

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-20, 11:02 PM
Crud! I knew I forgot something! Ah well, the Spy network is running the background as a LINETS anyways.Our spy network is a "Love Interest, Not Essential To Story?" :smallconfused: The "Not Essential To Story" part makes sense, I guess, but you might want to just start saying "NETS" then. :smalltongue:

Humorously enough, though, when checking for another meaning, the first result I got from Google about "LINETS" was, in fact, an information network. :smallamused:

Slade
2011-03-21, 07:43 AM
Our spy network is a "Love Interest, Not Essential To Story?" :smallconfused: The "Not Essential To Story" part makes sense, I guess, but you might want to just start saying "NETS" then. :smalltongue:

Humorously enough, though, when checking for another meaning, the first result I got from Google about "LINETS" was, in fact, an information network. :smallamused:

Wouldn't you just LOVE to have information on the Blessed Isle? I rest my case.

Slade
2011-04-03, 12:26 AM
And now for something completely different: Alchemicals.

Our intrepid band of Solars (which consists of only Erdrick, Cashius, Shichirou. They have now made first contact with the Patropolis of Ot, the mega-city that has been building up over time since the Locust Crusade began. At first the Tripartite Ruling Assembly of Ot began using trees as fuel (leading to a massive influx of pollution), while they began refining the metal they were now finding in abundance around the area.

In six short months, the Ot has grown into a massive 400 mile wide city, mostly low level buildings while several factory cathedrals now dot the land. Currently, the Otians are building a massive air fleet which they will then use to their advantage. Erdrick, which his massive 5 dots in War, realize that they are standing in a massive fortified city, and once they saw the massive air fleet at Ot's disposal, realize they are standing in a beachhead. A beachhead for an Autothonian Invasion force.

In the mean time, Cashius has built a transportation system between Ot and Virtue using 3 dot manses (built mostly to show off Cashius' understanding of First Age building techniques, and the rapidity he can build things, which the Autothonians were rightly impressed by), and the Otians declared "embassy" for the representatives from Virtue.

The circle then learns that the Otians have already made contact with representatives from the First and Forsaken Lion, but that the representatives from FaFL are curiously absent. (more on that later)

After a brief side mission trying to figure out where in the heck happened to Gem (it is a mystery) in which Cashius fixed it into a fortress instead of a city, and wyld shaping soldiers to defend the place and miners to work the mines (gotta anchor those wyld shaped people into reality, after all), the crew got back on the road.

They returned to Autothonia to await a meeting with the Tripartite Ruling Assembly of Ot where we learn that there is an Abyssal hiding out among the the rulers of the city.

Once we state our case, we are allowed to unmask the infiltrator, and once the ruling council agrees ("thank you!") we deal with him.

Turns out the Lion wants information on these guys (who wouldn't?) and sent the Abyssal in to gain that information. Cashius once again creates applied cryogenics tube and sticks him in there.

We then turn our attention to the lack of new Autothonian babies; we inform them that we may have a solution to that. Cashius sets out to think of the best solution, while we try to make economic solutions with the Autothonians (turns out Wood is a big deal to them).

Cashius begins to educate various Autothonian savants in creations various ways of Creation's Geomancy (or Gaian Geomancy) , while they in turn inform him of Autothonian Geomancy (represented as another form of Geomancy Thaumaturgy).