PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors (4e)

Pentachoron
2011-03-08, 08:46 PM
I want to steal the idea of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190185), but the problem is the campaign I'm currently running is 4e. Does anyone have any experience having run ToH in 4th edition?

I loved it in past editions, how does it stand up? I'm concerned about the way that the edition handles traps not being conducive to it being as fun as in the past and I don't want to buy the adventure if it's not any fun.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-08, 09:29 PM
I've actually got a thread going on this topic already. I just finished my first read-through of the book tonight, I'll take another crack at it tomorrow.

The third chapter details the Tomb as everyone knows it; nasty save-or-die traps, monsters fought under the WORST POSSIBLE CONDITIONS (gargoyles on a bridge, anyone?), puzzles that kill you for choosing the right answer, the wrong answer, and even the 'lobster' answer, and riddles galore. Fun times.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-08, 09:46 PM
For the love of Gygax, there are two Tomb of Horrors for 4E. :smallconfused:

The first one that came out was for RPGA members and is a simple conversion of the 3.5 module. It's not very deadly, but that can be arranged. :smallbiggrin:

The second one is a rather long campaign (with big gaps in it) that has more than one dungeon, and this includes the actual Tomb. The difference is that this is a sequel to Cordell's 2nd Ed Return to the Tomb of Horrors. So there are things that are rather different once you get to the tomb, which happens mid-way in the super-adventure.

Pentachoron
2011-03-08, 10:05 PM
For the love of Gygax, there are two Tomb of Horrors for 4E. :smallconfused:

The first one that came out was for RPGA members and is a simple conversion of the 3.5 module. It's not very deadly, but that can be arranged. :smallbiggrin:

The second one is a rather long campaign (with big gaps in it) that has more than one dungeon, and this includes the actual Tomb. The difference is that this is a sequel to Cordell's 2nd Ed Return to the Tomb of Horrors. So there are things that are rather different once you get to the tomb, which happens mid-way in the super-adventure.

I was unaware of the latter, asking specifically about the former. What makes it less deadly than previous incarnations?

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-08, 10:12 PM
It's the edition itself and how it deals with things.

Take the infamous sphere of annihilation in the statue's mouth. These days, spheres of annihilation attack until you are dead, then you crumble to dust that can be ressurected.

There's also the fact that so much of the traps, which are rather specific in the original, can simply be combated with a dice throw and rather high DC (can't remember what it is).

As I said, it's an adaptation of the 3.5 module, not the original. So Acererak is the construct (who also appears in the superadventure for story-related reasons).

Unless you are an RPGA member, you're unlikely to get it. I managed to get it as I did a deal with a guy who had two and was willing to give one away.

Pentachoron
2011-03-08, 10:17 PM
It's the edition itself and how it deals with things.

Take the infamous sphere of annihilation in the statue's mouth. These days, spheres of annihilation attack until you are dead, then you crumble to dust that can be ressurected.

There's also the fact that so much of the traps, which are rather specific in the original, can simply be combated with a dice throw and rather high DC (can't remember what it is).

As I said, it's an adaptation of the 3.5 module, not the original. So Acererak is the construct (who also appears in the superadventure for story-related reasons).

Unless you are an RPGA member, you're unlikely to get it. I managed to get it as I did a deal with a guy who had two and was willing to give one away.

I see, thanks. I think I may just try to do my own conversion from the original module then, neither of the two printed sound like what I'm looking for.

Dust
2011-03-08, 10:19 PM
I really recommend the latter. At least browse the official ToH 4e 'campaign' before you dismiss it outright - it was vastly superior to what I was expecting, though you'll have to improvise for a LOT of minis if you use 'em, as well as be able to be very creative with battlemaps.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-08, 10:22 PM
The super-adventure is really fun to run, it's not strictly speaking the Tomb of Horrors grinder, though there are elements of that, at times.

Get some Blu-tac, helps with those curvy dungeon walls.

Pentachoron
2011-03-08, 10:28 PM
I really recommend the latter. At least browse the official ToH 4e 'campaign' before you dismiss it outright - it was vastly superior to what I was expecting, though you'll have to improvise for a LOT of minis if you use 'em, as well as be able to be very creative with battlemaps.

I'll probably still check it out, but because of the apparent scale of it, I don't think it'd be appropriate for the current ToH plans I have.

mobdrazhar
2011-03-08, 10:39 PM
use it for multiple drinking game days... each dungeon for each drinking session

Lycan 01
2011-03-08, 11:50 PM
Katana_Geldar, is the 2nd incarnation you speak of the new 4th Edition suppliment/campaign/whatever book that came out last summer? :smallconfused:

What level characters would you say its geared towards, and how fatal/awesome is it? I mean, I've heard tales of how deadly and fun the original editions were, but I've also heard the new one was kinda... defanged. Less save-or-die things and whatnot. Would you still suggest picking it up?

DontEatRawHagis
2011-03-09, 12:16 AM
use it for multiple drinking game days... each dungeon for each drinking session

Drinking game:
Every time you die take a shot
Every time you TPK Chug.

Katana_Geldar, is the 2nd incarnation you speak of the new 4th Edition suppliment/campaign/whatever book that came out last summer? :smallconfused:

What level characters would you say its geared towards, and how fatal/awesome is it? I mean, I've heard tales of how deadly and fun the original editions were, but I've also heard the new one was kinda... defanged. Less save-or-die things and whatnot. Would you still suggest picking it up?

This is the Super Adventure:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/253850000

As far as your questions 10th level - 22nd; Havnt played it but hear good things; Save or Die has died out in 4e all together, except for the Beholder, but you have to fail three saving throws against it(if I remember correctly).

I notice even though a lot of people that like Save or die strategies are sadistic DMs less so players. Unless I'm playing Paranoia I would lose a lot of players by killing off their main PC in an 1-hit KO.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-09, 04:47 AM
I was unaware of the latter, asking specifically about the former. What makes it less deadly than previous incarnations?
As the other KG says, it's indeed the edition.

One infamous hallway starts to slope down into a gate to the elemental plane of fire. In earlier editions, this requires some rather difficult climbing checks and if you fall into the fire, you're dead. In 4E, this requires using the standard "run" action, and if you fall into the fire, you take 10 damage per turn.