PDA

View Full Version : I was a teenage Maid for Cthulhu

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-08, 10:02 PM
As I occasionally have been known to, I was having a silly conversation over instant messenger.

Someone suggested running a Call of Cthulhu game at Arkham Highschool. Which could probably be played straight reasonably well.

Then it suddenly dawned on me, that would be perfect for the Maid rules. Which is to say it's sick and wrong and hilarious.

Thoughts?

Vknight
2011-03-08, 10:10 PM
I love you in a platonic sense right now.
I currently am playing maid with my players and the highjinks.
So my suggestion DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!

Ravens_cry
2011-03-08, 10:11 PM
I lost SAN just thinking about it, so . . .yea? :smalleek:

Shades of Gray
2011-03-08, 10:12 PM
I'd play in it.

Vknight
2011-03-08, 10:21 PM
I lost SAN just thinking about it, so . . .yea? :smalleek:

Ravens think of it! Cuthulhu as your master! Hastur as maid in orange outfit with beige hair and rainbow eyes!!

Ravens_cry
2011-03-08, 10:25 PM
Ravens think of it! Cuthulhu as your master! Hastur as maid in orange outfit with beige hair and rainbow eyes!!
Why do you think I lost SAN?

Vknight
2011-03-08, 10:31 PM
How'd that make you lose san? My playes suggest worse stuff daily.

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-08, 10:31 PM
I have a few concerns with this though.

Not so much the concept. That's gold. Easy to come up with scenarios in this setting.

(Danny invites you out to the prom. But your high society parents would never approve of you dating someone from a backwoods town like innsmouth!)

I'm hardly a Lovecraft expert, but considering how the mythos contradicts itself all the time and the very concept itself is making Lovecraft spin in his grave already this shouldn't be an issue

I don't really want to spend a lot of time managing a game, but I don't think I'd really have to. I mean this stuff practically writes itself.

I imagine that by the end all the players would be dead, insane, or pregnant.

So you know. Highschool.

Vknight
2011-03-08, 10:35 PM
Highschool with demonic entities, maids that carry super weapons, butlers that can punt skyscrapers so its more of an Anime Cuthulhu crossover.

big teej
2011-03-08, 11:17 PM
-raises hand-

forgive my ignorance, I'm familiar with a few gaming systems (even if only by name and reputation)

but what's maid? and why are there games based on dressing up in a French Maid's outfit? :smallconfused:

teej is more confused than the time he learned about a cardgame about scantily clad catgirl pilots.

SurlySeraph
2011-03-08, 11:47 PM
@^: This. (http://www.maidrpg.com/) It is an odd game.

You might have to add tentacles and other squamous appendages of dire purpose and such things to the character generation table, but other than that sounds good.

Vknight
2011-03-08, 11:49 PM
Or just make monster(Or something similar) a automatic part of every character

Lycan 01
2011-03-08, 11:55 PM
Oh my gosh. Maids sounds awesome. Maids + Cthulhu sounds awesome-er. :smalleek:

Vknight
2011-03-09, 12:13 AM
Exactlly I'll ride into battle upon 'Sparkle Lord' which is a horse with bat wings, and Cthulhus head

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-09, 12:40 AM
Yeah. Maid is great. If it was just about playing cleaning staff it'd be terrible. But this is more based on an Anime phenomenon.

I like the idea of an RPG which isn't very serious at all, and just runs on humor. It's also nice to see that others seem to share my twisted vision.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I need to run this.

Before anyone gets too attached to any ideas, will likely be in the modern era, the town of Arkham. I'm leaning against "butlers kicking buildings into the distance". And it's going to be kind of perverse, but not as perverse as I'm sure some of you would like. Doesn't feel right to do a game like this without sex, but it's going to be a lot of fading to black.

I'm aiming for Dark Comedy basically.

Lycan 01
2011-03-09, 09:47 AM
Please tell me you'll be running this game here on the forums, and that people like me who don't have access to the rulebook can somehow play. :smalleek:

Vknight
2011-03-09, 04:00 PM
If you want I can give you a link to a download of the rule book.

Also yes will it be on the forums we must know and also hear what happens.

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-13, 07:30 PM
I had meant to put up a recruitment thread by now. But I've been a bit busy. Have a few things to consider, but should be going up soon.

Found a relevant image on another thread

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/Raz_Fox/Motivators/DarkerandEdgier.jpg?t=1300043735

Morph Bark
2011-03-13, 07:32 PM
I've occassionally tried searching for this system or its rules, but never been fruitful. Could anyone provide a link?

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-13, 07:35 PM
It was linked here:

@^: This. (http://www.maidrpg.com/) It is an odd game.

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-13, 08:39 PM
Unless you're looking for a copy of the rules themselves to download. Which is against the forum rules but most people would look the other way over.

Got some mixed opinions about that one. Hardly think it's appropriate for everyone to buy a legal copy for online games, but at least one person aught to.

Morph Bark
2011-03-13, 08:46 PM
Unless you're looking for a copy of the rules themselves to download. Which is against the forum rules but most people would look the other way over.

I was. I actually thought this was a free RPG, with which there would be no legal issues in such a case, making posting that no problem. :smallredface:

Vknight
2011-03-13, 08:52 PM
Ah it's ok I didn't find out about the payment thing until I found and downloaded it for free so I feel bad for doing as such but it happens all the time.

dsmiles
2011-03-13, 08:55 PM
teej is more confused than the time he learned about a cardgame about scantily clad catgirl pilots.Wait. What?

Urpriest
2011-03-13, 08:57 PM
Wait. What?

Be Enlightened (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14535/spanc-space-pirate-amazon-ninja-catgirls).

dsmiles
2011-03-13, 09:02 PM
Be Enlightened (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14535/spanc-space-pirate-amazon-ninja-catgirls).

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!

big teej
2011-03-13, 10:37 PM
big teej, bettering peoples lives through confusion since 1990

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-13, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't feel too bad for downloading it. These forums are probably half of the market to begin with*

*fact: this isn't a fact at all.

Fishy
2011-03-14, 02:02 AM
MAID is the best system, for every setting.

Someone was going to run MAID in the Lovecraft family mansion, but then vanished from the forums the moment the game was about to start, never to be seen again.

So, you know, be careful of squamous horrors.

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-14, 02:09 AM
MAID is the best system, for every setting.

Oh yeah? What about if the PCs are a hedge fund?

Fishy
2011-03-14, 02:17 AM
Oh yeah? What about if the PCs are a hedge fund?

The Master is a potential client with a huge amount of cash to invest, the Skill stat determines your ability to file paperwork, and the Maid/Bankers have to attend networking events, wine, dine and cajole the client, while keeping one eye on currencies and exchange rates and another on ninja catgirls from mars.

Try something hard next time, honestly.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 02:19 AM
The Master is a potential client with a huge amount of cash to invest, the Skill stat determines your ability to file paperwork, and the Maid/Bankers have to attend networking events, wine, dine and cajole the client, while keeping one eye on currencies and exchange rates and another on ninja catgirls from mars.

Try something hard next time, honestly.

Warhammer 40k, and the PCs are Orks.

Fishy
2011-03-14, 02:35 AM
The Master iz da warboss, 'cos he iz da biggest. Affection isn't your ability to make people love you, it's whether people think you iz proppa Orky or if you iz mukkin' about.

The PCs and their Trukk come across a mansion that used to belong to a human noble, done in the style of a scaled-up 16th century French manor, for no particular reason, and da boss puts them in charge of looting it, armoring it, and outfitting it with Dakka in advance of the Tzeechian demon squad on their heels.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-14, 02:37 AM
The Master iz da warboss, 'cos he iz da biggest. Affection isn't your ability to make people love you, it's whether people think you iz proppa Orky or if you iz mukkin' about.

The PCs and their Trukk come across a mansion that used to belong to a human noble, done in the style of a scaled-up 16th century French manor, for no particular reason, and da boss puts them in charge of looting it, armoring it, and outfitting it with Dakka in advance of the Tzeechian demon squad on their heels.

....I love you.

Fishy
2011-03-14, 02:49 AM
See? MAID works for everything, you just have to be ded cunnin' about it.

big teej
2011-03-14, 10:17 AM
Cthulhu...
orks.

Cthulhu...
orkz.

Cthulhu...
Orkz

Orkz! orkz! orkz! orkz! orkz! orkz!orkz!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH1!!!!

(I want to play now. :smalltongue: )

Loki_42
2011-03-15, 02:29 PM
If this is still gonna happen, I totally want in on it.

pendell
2011-03-15, 03:22 PM
Please post the link when the game starts. I'm not interested in playing, but I am interested in reading. I have too much sanity these days, since I'm turning 40 in two months, and I need craziness in my life. The more crazy the better.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lycan 01
2011-03-15, 07:29 PM
I'd also like to know when this gets started...

sonofzeal
2011-03-15, 08:01 PM

Okay, how about.... Gygaxian dungeoncrawl, a la Tomb of Horrors?

Lycan 01
2011-03-15, 08:14 PM
The Master is the Lich/Dragon at the end of the dungeon crawl, and the Maids keep the monsters fed, reset the traps, and clean out the dead adventurers? :smallconfused:

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-15, 09:07 PM
The Master is the Lich/Dragon at the end of the dungeon crawl, and the Maids keep the monsters fed, reset the traps, and clean out the dead adventurers?Eh, that one doesn't really work for Tomb of Horrors; have you read it?

Lycan 01
2011-03-15, 10:56 PM
Nope, just taking a swing in the dark. :smallbiggrin:

Vknight
2011-03-15, 11:01 PM
And as for an idea with no prior knowledge it is well done and I support it.

Lycan 01
2011-03-15, 11:27 PM
Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

I think coming up with silly crossovers and stuff would be one of my favorite things about Maid if I played/ran it. I also had an idea for a 40K/Dark Heresy scenario... :smalltongue:

Fishy
2011-03-16, 12:12 AM
Okay, how about.... Gygaxian dungeoncrawl, a la Tomb of Horrors?

The Master wants something, it's in the Tomb of Horrors, go get it. Stats never really mattered that much in the old Gygax adventures. When (Not if) the PCs die horribly, you can go one of two ways-

1) Roll up a new maid, because it's 30d6 and then you're done.

2) Go by the Maid rules- Maids are completely indestructible, and have Stress Explosions instead of dying. Spiked ceiling falls, maid is crushed, then stands back up and bursts into tears. Could be hilarious.

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-16, 05:23 AM
Really, the only thing Maid wouldn't work for is when you want to be completely serious.

BobVosh
2011-03-16, 06:29 AM
The Master is the Lich/Dragon at the end of the dungeon crawl, and the Maids keep the monsters fed, reset the traps, and clean out the dead adventurers? :smallconfused:

Eh, that one doesn't really work for Tomb of Horrors; have you read it?

Nope, just taking a swing in the dark. :smallbiggrin:

Ya gosh, it is an DEMIlich at the end. GOSH.

2) Go by the Maid rules- Maids are completely indestructible, and have Stress Explosions instead of dying. Spiked ceiling falls, maid is crushed, then stands back up and bursts into tears. Could be hilarious.
Sounds like the best way to run that module actually. At least for people who want to see it but not make 4-6 characters.

Hopefully corrected before being quoted >.>

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-16, 08:03 AM
Ya gosh, it is an DEMIlich at the end. GOSH.... :smallannoyed:

Of course that's not the only issue; I was more referring to the fact that there are hardly any actual "monsters" in the Tomb of Horrors, and out of the ones that populate it, the vast majority of them require no sustenance. Likewise, many of the traps are perfectly capable of resetting themselves, and oftentimes there's not much left of the adventurer to dispose of in the first place.

Hat-Trick
2011-03-16, 08:16 AM
This has my undying support, if only for the fact that MAIDs was mentioned. Please, if ANY of the half-ideas from this thread start up, TELL ME!!

hewhosaysfish
2011-03-16, 08:17 AM
Eh, that one doesn't really work for Tomb of Horrors; have you read it?

Really? I haven't read ToH myself, I only have this from the guy that ran it but

Doesn't the Tomb actually have a staff of ethereal Fiends (I think Devils, on loan from Asmodeous) that are charged with fixing up the dungeon after each delivery of souls party of brave adventurers pass through? Also, eating anyone who tries to pass through the dungeon ethereally. But also tidying the dungeon.

So there does canonically exist a group that could be turned in devil-maid PCs. Possibly with Asmodeous as the Master rather than Ackackacackackackerackack, possibly not.

Sounds like the best way to run that module actually. At least for people who want to see it but not make 4-6 characters.

Actually, the DM that ran the Tomb when I played it came up with an... interesting... addition to Tomb for precisely this reason.

There was a extra room near the start of the dungeon, containing a magical fountain.
By experimenting with some unfortunate frogs, the party determined that the magic of the fountain could ressurect someone who had died inside the Tomb (but only if they had actually die inside the Tomb) for the input of a mere 1gp.
Further testing revealed that taking the gold out of the fountain again caused the ressurected creature to instantly die again :smalleek: (and we found this out after the rogue had taken several thousand gp out :smalleek::smalleek:).

And, of course, the small print of the contract did stipulate that tendering payment for a resurrection (even for a frog :smalleek:) carried implicit acceptance of the terms and conditions outlined in the contract.
"What contract?", you ask; the contract Acererack signed with Asmodeous to get that fountain installed, a copy of which can be found in the lich's chamber, at the end of the Tomb.
The fake lich at the false end of the Tomb
The DM had actually made a prop contract for that, complete with itty-bitty small print. When we could make a Decipher Script check, he gave us a normal-size-print version of the small-print so that we could read it through clearly.

:smallamused::smallconfused::smallyuk::smallfuriou s::smalleek::smallfrown:

Making the Tomb of Horrors both easier and more evil at the same time. Genius.
Oh and
the fountain can't (or at least won't) ressurect someone whose soul has been trapped.

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-17, 08:57 PM
Recruitment thread is up. Enlist here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10577389) soldiers.

Well this is going to be interesting, the thread got moved.

dsmiles
2011-03-18, 04:51 AM
Man, I really need to pick up a copy of this game...it sounds sooooooooooo aweseome. (Too bad I can't PbP, or I'd join up.)

Doc Roc
2011-03-18, 05:51 PM
Okay, I'm going to go get MAID now. And Inspectres. :\