PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good Prestige Class for a Dragonfire Adept?

Scorpions__
2011-03-08, 11:13 PM
I've seen around that you should usually play a Dragonfire Adept to at least 18th level straight, however my player wants to see her options.

She's thinking of Dragon Devotee from Races of the Dragon right now, but we'll see.

Bonus points if the prestige class is dragon-flavoured.

Any good builds?

DM[F]R

MeeposFire
2011-03-08, 11:44 PM
From what I seen either you do a very small dip or you take it all the way. With its poor BAB it does not lend itself for warrior classes, it lacks spells so you tend to not like combining with spellcasters and it has a hard time getting into spellcasting Prcs, and their best offensive weapon is hard to boost without losing out on effects (breathweapons).

It does make a decent dip for skill monkeys due to all the skill oriented invocations particulary for knowledge and social skills.

Personally I like taking DFA all the way.

Akal Saris
2011-03-09, 12:02 AM
There's none that I am aware of. You might check the homebrew forums to see if anyone has come up with something you could recommend to your player.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-09, 12:10 AM
What a coincidence, I just recently posted a PrC for dragonfire adpets and dragon shamans (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189016)!

Also, this excellent DFA Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870954/The_New_Dragonfire_Adept_Handbook!) covers multiclassing near the end.

Thurbane
2011-03-09, 01:11 AM
Isn't there a sidebar somewhere that PrCs that advance casting adavance Invocations and Breath Weapon for DFA? If so, the key is to look for PrCs that have easy reqs, advance casting, and have worthwhile class features.

MeeposFire
2011-03-09, 01:26 AM
yes but not breath effects which is where a lot of the meat of the DFA is located. Invocations and vanilla fire breath aren't worth much and you do not get breath effects if you multiclass out.

Thurbane
2011-03-09, 01:33 AM
yes but not breath effects which is where a lot of the meat of the DFA is located. Invocations and vanilla fire breath aren't worth much and you do not get breath effects if you multiclass out.
Theres always Entangling Exhalation, but I do see your point.

Like I said, the PrC has to have good features to make it worthwhile.

If you've got feats to burn, you could take a level of Sorcerer (with Versatile Spellcaster & Heighten Spell) along with Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige (or 1 level of Binder + Improved Bind Vestige), then 10 levels of Anima Mage. It will advance your Invocations and Breath Weapon by 10 levels, plus 10 levels of Binding.

thorian
2011-03-09, 07:02 PM
Theres always Entangling Exhalation, but I do see your point.

Like I said, the PrC has to have good features to make it worthwhile.

If you've got feats to burn, you could take a level of Sorcerer (with Versatile Spellcaster & Heighten Spell) along with Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige (or 1 level of Binder + Improved Bind Vestige), then 10 levels of Anima Mage. It will advance your Invocations and Breath Weapon by 10 levels, plus 10 levels of Binding.

How does Anima Mage increase the Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon?

Thurbane
2011-03-09, 07:07 PM
It's in the sidebar in Dragon Magic, p.24. Note however, as MeeposFire points out, it will not give you additional breath effects.

DRAGONFIRE ADEPTS AND PRESTIGE CLASSES
Dragonfire adepts benefit in a specific way from prestige classes that have a level advancement benefit of “+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class” or “+1 level of existing spellcasting class.” A dragonfire adept taking levels in such a prestige class does not gain any other benefits of that level increase, but she does gain an increased caster level when using her invocations and increased damage with her breath weapon. Levels of prestige classes that provide +1 level of spellcasting effectively stack with the dragonfire adept’s level to determine her breath weapon damage and save DC. She also gains new invocations at each prestige class level as though she had risen a level in the dragonfire adept class.

Spellcasting: At each anima mage level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level.

FMArthur
2011-03-09, 07:10 PM
I guess there's no Hellfire Dragonfire Adept, is there? :smallbiggrin:

The Cat Goddess
2011-03-09, 07:11 PM
How does Anima Mage increase the Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon?

A PrC that gives "+1 to existing caster level" will improve the DFA's breath weapon the same way it improves a Warlock's Eldritch Blast.

See if you can't get special permission to modify Eldritch Theurge to combine with DFA instead of Warlock... That would be pretty cool.