PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a game!

Aemoh87
2011-03-08, 11:41 PM
What are the best games you have played that is not Dungeons and Dragons?

Give a brief description why as well :)

These games don't need to be perfect, just alot of fun.

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-08, 11:51 PM
D6 Star Wars / D6 Space

GREAT little game. Lots of the D6 books are now free!

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-08, 11:52 PM
Paranoia.

Paranoia is fun! Other games are not fun! Play Paranoia!

Leon
2011-03-09, 12:52 AM
WHFRP*/Dark Heresy Systems - You have a small number of wounds not the great padding that D&D hit points give and things are much grittier and lethal.

Both versions of the system are in massively detail rich settings.

Mutants and Masterminds - You can pretty much make anything you want with this system to suit your needs (except when what you like turns out to be more powerful than what the GM envisioned and he keeps nerfing your power)

*2e

Dimers
2011-03-09, 02:04 AM
Advanced Civilization. Now there's a well-balance game with unlimited replay value! How about Quiddler? -- a word game that's fun even for the dyslexics in the group. Cribbage, Bohnanza, Boggle, Fallout 2 ... and don't forget Dominion! I love playing Dominion when everyone's feely a little loopy already and we decide to start roleplaying out our actions and purchases. Good times, good times. :smallsmile:

:smalltongue:

Thurbane
2011-03-09, 02:14 AM
Well, it was a looong time ago, but I had a lot of fun playing Twilight 2000 (1st ed). It was quite an experience to go from D&D with a ton of HP, healing spells and resurrection to a game where one bullet can kill you stone dead, or leave you maimed and out of action for days or weeks. :smallbiggrin:

I loved the character gen system, where you roll random time periods, to see how old you were when war broke out. The older you are, the more skills you have - but the more radiation you'd soaked up post-WW3.

Totally Guy
2011-03-09, 02:18 AM
Burning Wheel is my top pick because the whole thing is a game. I'm allowed to play hard at last. If I wanted to do that in a lot of other games I'd be told off for violating the group's playstyle or whatever.

The roleplay is embedded in skilful play. Just playing the game skilfully results in a great story to look back on.

Pentachoron
2011-03-09, 02:19 AM
In Nomine - Fairly fun Angels vs Demons game, I've always enjoyed it.

Deadlands - Steampunk/Zombies/WildWest with an intro by Bruce Campbell. It reeks of amazing

Boot Hill - great Western gunfighter game, created by Gary Gygax and Brian Blume, but doesn't really utilize any similar mechanics from D&D, mostly d10's as a percentile dice resolution system.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-09, 05:19 AM
Unisystem. The best gateway system to bigger and better systems than D&D, and you don't really lose anything if you stay there.

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd || 3rd Edition. Not as flexible as some, but doesn't require as much system mastery as those either. My go-to system for anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GURPS 4th Edition. This one is not for everyone, mind you. There are too many options, and it may overwhelm some players who just want to shoot guns (Which type of gun? What model? Automatic or semi-automatic or bolt-action? Do you have this advantage or not?), but it is very good once you get past the initial shock.

Qin: the Warring States. Technically just called Qin, but that's the name of the core rulebook, so I'm sticking with it. One of the best low-powered wuxia games I've ever read. Would readily suggest it to anyone.

Pandemonium. It's like Lovecraft meets Hunter meets Constantine directed by Quentin Tarantino minus the foot fetish.

Faery's Tale Deluxe. Because sometimes, you just want to play a faery as tall as an apple.

The Big Dice
2011-03-09, 06:33 AM
Mutants and Masterminds - You can pretty much make anything you want with this system to suit your needs (except when what you like turns out to be more powerful than what the GM envisioned and he keeps nerfing your power)
I found that rather than a smack with a nerf bat, making things into a source of Hero Points is more fun.

Other games include: Call of Cthulhu, the game that teaches us that there are alternatives to fighting. Cyberpunk (2020, not 3rd edition), the game that teaches us that fighting is best done on full auto and that you don't need magic or psionics or such for a game to be good. Pendragon, the game that teaches us that it's ok for our characters to grow old and die, as their children will become PCs. And of course, Legend of the Five rings. The game that teaches us that ignoring metaplots isn't just ok, sometimes it's essential.

Eldan
2011-03-09, 06:49 AM
I've only played three or four games other than D&D, really, but I've read a few more. Still, that doesn't really count. I've played both Mutants and Masterminds (don't really know what to do with it, no experience with superheroes) and d20 modern (very, very bland). That leaves, well...

Gamma World! In the far future of supertechnology, the Ancients blew up their world with said supertechnology. Now genetically modified animals, plants and humans have rebuilt society to a medieval level. Everyone has mutant powers, which are X-men style over the top. Second brain? Sure. Fire-breathing turtle-man? It's in there. Flying, mind-controlling humanoid cactus? Of course. Add to that pulp-style technology (Lasers! Robots! Spaceships! Ball-point pens (oooh)!), mutated giant monstrosities, dinosaurs, a knightly order in power armour dedicated to wiping out all mutated creatures... it's fun.
Furthermore, character creation is mostly random. You choose a race (or animal) and from there on, it's just rolling.

Drascin
2011-03-09, 08:08 AM
Mutants&Masterminds, by far. Similar system to D&D, which is nice (I like d20), but more customizable and easy to use as a generic for damn near anything that doesn't need to be too realistic.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-09, 08:10 AM
Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm).

Because it's the answer I always give.

Thurbane
2011-03-09, 08:14 AM
Hmm, a lot of love for M&M...I bought the book a while back, and only flipped through it once or twice. Sounds like I need to give it another read. Does it have any good supplements?

profitofrage
2011-03-09, 08:17 AM
Im going to have to go +1 to Dark Heresy here.
Simply for the absolutly wonderful setting, Though the game mechanics itself are also very smooth and intuitive. The only 'flaw' is how easy it is to die...but..well thats hardly a flaw :P and more the style of the game, and one that can easily be fixed with the addition of more Fate Points by the DM.

manyslayer
2011-03-09, 08:28 AM
Deadlands. I'm a sucker for a western. Throw in steampunk and zombies and its my dream world.

Dragonstorm. Card based RPG. The system itself isn't the greatest (but it does play fast and is easy to teach) but I love the world. Turns a lot of fantasy stereotypes on their heads. Orcs are the nature lovers. Dark elves are the good elves. Necromancers rules and have convinced the populace that the consequences of their evil magic are the fault of dragons and shape-shifters (i.e. PC races). Beautiful setting and a unique kind of game.

Back in the day very much enjoyed Marvel Superheroes. Not nearly as well designed as HERO, but great for quick and dirty butt-kicking fun.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-09, 08:44 AM
Paranoia.

Paranoia is fun! Other games are not fun! Play Paranoia!

I endorse this statement, because it would be treasonous not to. Please don't shoot me. Praise The Computer!

Gravitron5000
2011-03-09, 08:58 AM
I endorse this statement, because it would be treasonous not to. Please don't shoot me. Praise The Computer!

I endorse this endorsement. This endorsement of endorsements has been brought to you by Bouncy Bubbley Beverage (TM). Failure to enjoy Paranoia can result in [REDACTED]. Have a nice day Citizen.

Britter
2011-03-09, 09:26 AM
Burning Wheel is my top pick because the whole thing is a game. I'm allowed to play hard at last. If I wanted to do that in a lot of other games I'd be told off for violating the group's playstyle or whatever.

The roleplay is embedded in skilful play. Just playing the game skilfully results in a great story to look back on.

+1 to this.

Burning Wheel is my go-to system for nearly everything fantasy. It has a very meaningful set of non-combat mechanics, a great set of social mechanics that actually work, a very enjoyable combat system, and it focuses on how characters grow and change under pressure.

It isn't everyone's cup of tea, and that's cool, but if you try it out and spend a little time with it, I have found it to be an incredibly rewarding and fun game to play.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-09, 09:44 AM
Paranoia! Paranoia is fun! In fact, fun is mandatory! Other games are not fun! Play Paranoia!

7th Sea(D10). Low magic, somewhat close to historical, fantastic metaplot, and a delightful system that's nothing like D20. Everyone should try it at least once. I believe rules are still available online as PDFs(legally).

Everyone is John. Extremely rules-light, silly, and a great game for one shots.

Call of Cthulhu. Horror/Investigatey. Not terribly rules heavy.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-09, 09:46 AM
Though on sheer fun value, I must never forget MAID, since it packs the maximum amount of fun into the minimum amount of prep time - less prep time if you actually create your own characters instead of roll for them. However, the harem comedy genre is not for everyone, and even without playing actual maids, some find the game a bit too offensive.

The Big Dice
2011-03-09, 09:49 AM
Paranoia! Paranoia is fun! In fact, fun is mandatory! Other games are not fun! Play Paranoia!

7th Sea(D10). Low magic, somewhat close to historical, fantastic metaplot, and a delightful system that's nothing like D20. Everyone should try it at least once. I believe rules are still available online as PDFs(legally).
Paranopia is great fun, but not good for full scale campaigns. Nobody lives long enough for one thing.

7th Sea is good, but it's L5R lite. Not that that is a bad thing, the Roll and Keep system is way more subtle than most of the D20 games.

For those who like their D20s, check out True20. It's similar to Mutants and Masterminds, but more generic, with multiple setting ideas in the book and a whole supplement of setting ideas.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-09, 09:52 AM
Paranopia is great fun, but not good for full scale campaigns. Nobody lives long enough for one thing.
Thankfully, The Computer has, in his wisdom, provided you with several clones!

There are, in fact, several campaigns printed for Paranoia that work pretty well as long as you're not into "zap" three-stooges-with-laser-beams style. And they're fun, because The Computer says so!

Tyndmyr
2011-03-09, 09:52 AM
Yeah, Paranoia also lends itself well to one shots. Im aware that campaigns are theoretically possible in it, but I've never actually seen one happen.

I've never actually been able to play L5R, Im afraid. It's on the list to do at some point. 7th Sea I've played and DMed a fair bit though. Now, I must strongly advice avoiding the D20 version of it. It doesn't work at all well. Plus, the D20 books look very much like they skipped editing and proofreading, with all sorts of misspellings and nonsense sentences in it. Very irritating.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-09, 09:53 AM
For those who like their D20s, check out True20. It's similar to Mutants and Masterminds, but more generic, with multiple setting ideas in the book and a whole supplement of setting ideas.

Also, a primitive version of True20 is used in the wonderful Blue Rose setting, and the actual True20 rules can be used with the setting with only a couple of modifications.

((Though while I am aware this is stereotyping to a very large degree, I have a feeling Blue Rose is so wonderful because it was written by Steve Kenson, who is gay.))

The Big Dice
2011-03-09, 10:00 AM
I've never actually been able to play L5R, Im afraid. It's on the list to do at some point. 7th Sea I've played and DMed a fair bit though. Now, I must strongly advice avoiding the D20 version of it. It doesn't work at all well. Plus, the D20 books look very much like they skipped editing and proofreading, with all sorts of misspellings and nonsense sentences in it. Very irritating.
Definitely avoid D20 versions of Alderac and AEG games. Not that they are categorically bad, but they don't work as well with the settings as the Roll and Keep system. John Wick, who wrote the original versions of both L5R and 7th Sea comes up with incredibly vivid settings, which the D20 system doesn't do justice to. That said, check out John Wick's Santa Vaca (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=santa+vaca&aq=0) ideas. He's rewritten the D20 system from the ground up, but with the restriction that he can't change the character sheet.

Galileo
2011-03-09, 10:15 AM
Deadlands is a lot of fun. It's a setting for Savage Worlds, which is one of the best frameworks for games I've used. First bar fight we got into, our mad scientist critically failed a check to fire his sonic de-atomiser. It blew up, injured the entire party badly and killed half the guys we were fighting. Then we went outside to have a quick-draw lineup duel with the rest of them, and the town preacher and sheriff joined in on our side.

And I have to recommend the Serenity RPG. It's basically the Savage Worlds system wearing glasses and a moustache, and going "No, no, I'm not Matt. See, Matt had Edges and Hindrances, and I've got Assets and Complications. Totally different."

Tengu_temp
2011-03-09, 10:17 AM
Mutants and Masterminds have already been mentioned numerous times, so I don't need to say anything about this game. It's my favorite RPG.

FATE/Spirit of the Century is a very elegant system that offers quite a lot of freedom, is very cinematic, and is extremely WYSISYG (a character who appears to be good/bad at something from the first glance at the sheet really is good/bad at it!) and hard to break. Very fun.

Exalted has a problematic system with lots of balance issues, but the fluff is great and the game lets you do awesome stuff and create really memorable characters. As long as you play with players who don't try to break it, it's a very good game.

Weapons of the Gods is what happens if you take Exalted, lower the power level a peg, remove the issues with the system and add really unique and yet fast mechanics and an ancient Chinese setting with great attention to detail. I haven't actually played it, just read the book, but I'm eager to do so one day.

Hmm, a lot of love for M&M...I bought the book a while back, and only flipped through it once or twice. Sounds like I need to give it another read. Does it have any good supplements?

Ultimate Power gives you useful new extras and power feats and lets you build even more specific powers. I don't like some of its changes, but I don't need to use them in my games.

Warriors and Warlocks is good for fantasy-style games, but it offers a lot of combat feats useful for all of them.

Mecha and Manga has balance issues (almost all of its feats and powers are either way too weak or way too strong), but it has great mecha rules, and I like mecha a lot.

Glimbur
2011-03-09, 10:44 AM
RISUS is pretty solid.

Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html) is quite interesting if the players either get in to their characters or get in to their plotting. When they do both... I've seen more character deaths in Wuthering Heights than in any other game system.

Street Fighter: The RPG has an interesting battle system and is reasonable for playing a Saturday morning cartoon style of game. My players enjoyed the one shots, anyway. A campaign might be a different endeavor.

Totally Guy
2011-03-09, 11:19 AM
John Wick, who wrote the original versions of both L5R and 7th Sea comes up with incredibly vivid settings, which the D20 system doesn't do justice to.

I've just downloaded Cat by John Wick to give the guy a chance. I'm much more familiar with his pal Jared Sorensen's games.

Jay R
2011-03-09, 11:19 AM
Flashing Blades (Fantasy Games Unlimited): roleplaying in the France of Richelieu and the musketeers. It has five different dueling styles, and you start as a Rogue, Soldier, Gentlemen or Noble. A later supplement added Sailor and Pirate. I homebrewed the class "Actor", based on the wandering Commedia dell'Arte troupes of the time, which allowed female characters. An excellent mix of intrigue and combat.

TOON (Steve Jackson Games): You're playing a cartoon character. If you lose all your hit points you Fall Over with X's over your eyes, and walk back onscreen completely whole 3 minutes later. Excellent for playing with a mixed group of experienced and non-experienced gamers, since the experienced don't have an advantage. In fact, they often have a DISadvantage, since they're use to trying to stay safe. Don't bother -- dying in a cartoon isn't a problem. "Act before you think." And you get extra experience points if you make the DM (Animator) laugh so hard he can't keep going.

Other great RPGs include Pendragon (role-playing in Arthurian England), Champions (super-heroes), and GURPS (universal system)

And I have to at least mention 1st Edition Chivalry and Sorcery, the most complete, realistic, well-developed unplayable mess ever written.

Leon
2011-03-12, 08:51 AM
FU (http://perilplanet.com/fu/)
And
Space Rat (http://perilplanet.com/space-rat/)

Both by a Friend of mine and i have helped play test Space Rat and played quite a few games of it over time.
FU is a remake of a older rules system under a different name

Timeless Error
2011-03-12, 10:27 AM
This is what I always say when threads like this come up:

The Window. (http://www.mimgames.com/window/)

It's great. It's simple, infinitely customizable, rules-light, easy to learn, and works for any setting. I love it :smallsmile:.

Aemoh87
2011-03-12, 03:38 PM
I started reading the window and I will finish after some homework. I really have fallen in love with gurps 4e. in the last few months but it's not the most playable system ever which is an issue when trying to get people who have never played it before.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-12, 03:39 PM
This is what I always say when threads like this come up:

The Window. (http://www.mimgames.com/window/)

It's great. It's simple, infinitely customizable, rules-light, easy to learn, and works for any setting. I love it :smallsmile:.

Also pretentious. Very, very pretentious.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-12, 09:15 PM
WHFRP*/Dark Heresy Systems - You have a small number of wounds not the great padding that D&D hit points give and things are much grittier and lethal.

Both versions of the system are in massively detail rich settings.
*2e

+1

also Arkham Horror the greatest boardgame ever

and Vampire the Masquerade, because their vampires don't sparkle!

LikeAD6
2011-03-12, 09:52 PM
Deathwatch - you get to be Space Marines.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-12, 11:27 PM
Deathwatch - you get to be Space Marines.

+1

its funny because its true

DM

Scarey Nerd
2011-03-13, 05:37 AM
I found Vampire: The Masquerade very enjoyable, the roleplay was fantastic and the potential for a good character was great.

I ran my first session of Serenity, the Firefly RPG, and that was really fun, too. Combat is relatively simple once you get the ins and outs of it, and come on, who doesn't want to fly around busting up Reavers?

Exodus was good as well, though its very similar to D&D so perhaps not recommended.

Never played Witchcraft, but I read the rulebook and it seemed really, really fun.

And last but not least, Risus. It's absolutely fantastic for a game where you want to kick back and have a laugh.

Britter
2011-03-17, 01:49 PM
I actually used RISUS for one of the most serious and heavy games I ever played. I love the system because it is so simple and modifiable that it can be whatever you need it to be for the game in question really.

Seerow
2011-03-17, 02:00 PM
The lack of shadowrun in this thread is disturbing.

Crossblade
2011-03-17, 02:17 PM
Corporation (http://www.corpgame.com/)
Free intro booklet on website. First link in small list on the right of page.

In the year 2500, the world is divided and run by massive corporations. Each corporation owning a large section of the world. (Regions: North America, Europe, Africa, China, Japan) You play as a corporation's (semi) secret agent, a highly trained person outfitted with guns, swords, telekinesis, and/or cybernetics to further your corporation's goals. Their goals varying between missions, which could be anything from breaking into a Spire City of a rival corporation and stealing some high tech stuff, to hunting out rebels or depersonalized people.... or if you're a really good agent, trying to steal some technology from the United International Government (UIG, the government of the world, who look out for civilians regardless of where they live); why does the UIG have better tech than your corporation though? Because they have access to the Archons, a group of Artificially Intelligent computer entities found burred deep under the planet Venus' surface, in the ruins of a civilization nothing is known about due those ruins being the only structure ever found... and the Archons never disclosing any information about it. But despite their non disclosed past, they're more than happy to share and create new technology for the betterment of Earth, ranging from Transportation to strange weaponry.

Easy to learn system with little math. All tasks outcomes are decided by your own stats and skills, not the target. Stats are Strength, Endurance, Agility, Reflexes, Perception, Intelligence, Presence (aka charisma). Skills range from close combat, to light/tactical/heavy weapons to drive, stealth, medicine, computers & AI, looking good and much more.
To determine success of an outcome, you add your appropriate stat with the appropriate skills.

Want to shoot someone with your hand gun? Add Perception + Light Weapons
Make a "spot" check: Perception + Observation
Pick a lock: Intelligence + Crime or Intelligence + Mechtronics (if a mechanical lock)
Once you have that number (base stats range from 5-10 upon char creation & skills 0-8) roll 2d10, if what you roll is below the stat+skill, you succeed!

Depending on your distribution of skills you can fill a specific role (Heavy, Face, Doctor, Sniper, Psyker/telepath, Hacker, Melee/Close Combatant) or still be effective while having a wide range of skills:

Driver/Melee both rely on Agility
all firearms are Perception/relivant Weapon, so you could be a gun expert
Telepathics rely/relate on Int, Perception, Presence so you can be a gun wielding ace while throwing people around with your mind
Intelligence is used in a lot of knowledge fields, I'm currently playing a doctor/mechanic/computer ace who's handy with a lock pick

And if you ever find yourself lacking in a particular area, cybernetics can be used to add stats or give you knew abilities (night vision, thermo vision, stat boosts, hidden weapons in replacement limbs... there's a long list), and unlike other games, cybernetics don't affect your "humanity". Of course, looking at the Cult of Machina, a faction of augmentation addicts, who would rip a person apart for the smallest piece of cybernetics... your results may vary.

The rule books are also written with great humor. One of my personal favorite being the fire rules in core stating "fire damage does not stack, because you can only be so much on fire." There are also a lot of great fake ads in the book referring to the setting, most referring to the company Multi-Meat, the world producers of food (most vegetation and animal life being killed off in the 2200-2300ish Corporation Wars which devastated and polluted most of the world), having ads like:

"Cornana! The banana like substance with <most of your daily vitamins> You'll swear it's food!"
"Egg-u-lik. Shown to reduce 2 of the 7 signs of aging* Some of these claims may not be true"

Timeless Error
2011-03-17, 02:31 PM
Also pretentious. Very, very pretentious.

It's true that the authors tend to lecture the reader on roleplaying and are rather full of themselves, but I also think it's a great system.

Pelfaid
2011-03-17, 03:20 PM
It's true that the authors tend to lecture the reader on roleplaying and are rather full of themselves, but I also think it's a great system.

Just started reading it and my initial thought was "Huh, did not know i was going to be reading deep philosophy." Not a bad thing, just odd to start reading a ruleset and get into the meta assumption of the system in the first paragraph.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-17, 03:35 PM
What are the best games you have played that is not Dungeons and Dragons?

Give a brief description why as well :)

These games don't need to be perfect, just alot of fun.

7th Sea. You get to play magical pirates, with a really awesome dice system.

Xuincherguixe
2011-03-17, 04:52 PM
Shadowrun's a fun blend of Cyberpunk and Fantasy. Pretty open system. In the later editions, the rules get in the way less and less.

Haven't played new vampire, but Vampire the Masquerade is oodles of fun. I'm sure it depends a lot on who the story teller is, but it's fun to be able to break encounters with words. Definitely one of the funner systems to be a pacifist in.

Maid is a fun, silly, crazy game too.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-18, 02:02 PM
Each game will be ranked on a scale of 1-5 using smiling emoticons.

Deadlands (Reloaded Edition): Six-shooters, demons, zombies, dark humor, and supernatural horror. :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:
Basic Fantasy: Like D&D, but better. :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:
Call of Cthulhu: The game is a little hokey and dated, but is fun in a dark, spooky way. :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:
Gnomes: A game I made myself using the little-known BRP system with a setting loosely based on Gnomio & Juliet. Only good for one-shots. :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:
JAGS Wonderland: Scary as hell in a surreal, dreamlike way. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
Shadowrun: Great for one-shot romps. :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

TechnOkami
2011-03-20, 02:42 AM
"who doesn't want to fly around busting up Reavers?"

Well, when you happen to be one by all technicalities...

As per my two cents as to other good Game systems...

Hackmaster.

It's like D&D on full up detailed reality crack.

Kiero
2011-03-20, 06:17 AM
Strands of Fate, a genuinely generic FATE 3.0 toolkit which does the best job so far of explaining the system. We were discussing it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189785).

Smokin Red
2011-03-21, 04:10 AM
The Dark Eye (a german RPG - 'Das schwarze Auge'): Unknown, I believe, in the most part of the world, but really big in Germany and partly in Europe. First RPG I played, and, as of now, with a very complex fantasy background. Great and flexible character generation.

Shadowrun: Not sure which version it was, but it is the game I played for the longest time. Liked the flexibility, did not like the matrix system.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Most role-playing heavy RPG I played, more talk, less dices.

Eldan
2011-03-21, 06:05 AM
The lack of shadowrun in this thread is disturbing.

No no no no no.

"I find your lack of FATE disturbing", is what you should have said.

Kiero
2011-03-21, 07:38 AM
No no no no no.

"I find your lack of FATE disturbing", is what you should have said.

Ahem, *cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10591321&postcount=49)

Delwugor
2011-03-21, 01:54 PM
7th Sea. You get to play magical pirates, with a really awesome dice system.
The only system I got to play an archeologist and was able to find alien artifacts. Weird system but I still liked playing it.

The best systems I've actually played where True20 and M&M. True20 was great for cinematic combat and the most exciting space fighter combat I've seen. M&M of course is just full of Super fun. My biggest complaint is they are D20 type systems which means the usual crunch is still there.

I have read many systems that I'd love to play because of how good they sound/read.
Lady Blackbird for quick easy minimalistic play.
Risus - I want to run "Dueling Beauty Salons of Beverly Hills" with Risus. There is alot of support for Risus on the internet so you don't need to add on for a setting or genre.
Mini6 - nice lite traditional system game from WEG d6 fans. Even comes with example settings for popular genres. I've wanted to write up a Western setting for this but got sidetracked by...
Strands of FATE. Generic and slightly crunchier flavor of FATE/SotC. Seems really good for role-playing that has a true impact on the story and game.

dsmiles
2011-03-21, 02:05 PM
Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm).

Because it's the answer I always give.

Seconded. (Maybe thirded?)

As far as a #2 & #3 choice:

2) HoL

3) Rolemaster/HARP

Eldan
2011-03-21, 05:02 PM
Ahem, *cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10591321&postcount=49)

I don't care.
The PUN must flow. The PUN is life.

dsmiles
2011-03-21, 05:06 PM
I don't care.
The PUN must flow. The PUN is life.
He who controls the PUN, controls the universe!

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-21, 05:07 PM
http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/baron.jpg

that is all

libermortis
2011-03-22, 02:47 AM
World of Darkness realy good if you have a gm that can create a mood, the only downside is that youre charakter git insane or die fast.
i played a charakter once and i still dont know if it was a real person, or a figmet of a nother charakters imagination.
World of Darkness is a sort sequel to call of cthulhu as far as i know.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-22, 12:15 PM
World of Darkness realy good if you have a gm that can create a mood, the only downside is that youre charakter git insane or die fast.
i played a charakter once and i still dont know if it was a real person, or a figmet of a nother charakters imagination.
World of Darkness is a sort sequel to call of cthulhu as far as i know.

What? After repairing the massive mental damage dealt by the horrendous grammar and awful spelling in your post, I regained enough cognitive ability to disagree. World of Darkness is not really a sequel to Call of Cthulhu, but something entirely different. CoC is a game of psychological cosmic horror, while WoD is a roleplaying-heavy game of intrigue and philosophical exploration.

Gahrer
2011-03-24, 06:40 PM
GURPS 4e! Awesome. While the rules and character creation are staggering and easily overwhelming they are also very modular and intuitive, allowing the GM to skip the parts he feels are nedlessly complicated for the adventure.
Ofcourse, this requires a GM that is willing to do a lot of reading to figure out which rules can be skipped for now...

I've not played Burning Wheel but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

[Edit: Spelling]