PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] "I a Gnome" says the scaley one with the long nose. So, Disguise....

Pika...
2011-03-09, 05:02 AM
So rarely used, yet so much potential I just realized.

My question is, what are the limits? Can my Kobold Male (that is his name...) say pose as a Human woman? Or infiltrate those evil Gnomes comedic cartoon style? What would be the DCs for these for example?

Or even better, can my Kobold put on bunny ears and just hop by guards?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-03-09, 05:22 AM
It's possible, it would involve some penalties though,

Kobold to gnome:

as per the disguise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/disguise.htm) rules
same size: no penalty
same gender: no penalty
Different race: -2 penalty (by RAW, stupidly low)
Assume same age category: no penalty

so a young male kobold disguising himself as a young male gnome only takes a -2 penalty. Disgusing himself as a human female however;

same age category; no penalty
different gender: -2
different race:-2
Increase size, assume a very tall kobold at 4' disguising himself as a very short woman at 5'; -25 as per the epic rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#disguise)

so disguising himself as a generic human woman would be a -29 to the check.

Pika...
2011-03-09, 05:32 AM
Hmm...

Thanks! Makes sense now.

However, do you think the stilts from the Arms & Equipment Guide would negate the height negative?

Also, what would be the DC for the Bunny? :smallbiggrin:

ps. Also, he has the Disguise spell he can spontaneously cast. Does that 1ft negate it as well?

edit:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/kobold1.png

So the above would be?:

Age category: -2
Different race: -2

Total: -4?

I think my DM will hate me...

Morph Bark
2011-03-09, 06:51 AM
You can always impose an extra circumstance penalty if you will, due to one being reptilian and the other mammalian. There are races that get certain bonuses or penalties to Disguise to masquerade as certain other races anyway, so giving kobolds/lizardfolk/troglodytes a penalty to disguise as humans/elves/gnomes/halflings/dwarves/orcs/goblins and vice versa should be fair enough.

Heliomance
2011-03-09, 06:56 AM
I once built a Petal rogue who realised that no-one took flower fairies seriously, but everyone ignored animals. So he went around disguised as a Corollax.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-09, 07:20 AM
It's possible. Check the Epic Level Handbook. The DC checks on disguising as someone way outside your height/weight range are insanely high. Best max out the skill and take feats to boost it.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-09, 08:11 AM
It's a skill, so the guidelines for making magic items that boost it are quite cheap. Then if you split the bonus into different bonus types, you beat even that multiplier. Check with your DM on custom items though.

BobVosh
2011-03-09, 08:19 AM
Pretty sure skill items only come in one form of bonus.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-03-09, 08:36 AM
o.k so the epic rules for disguising as size differences say the penalties "Can be negated by any effect that can duplicate a height and/or weight change of this degree." so by my reading stilts would work, or...

a kobold balancing on another kobold's shoulders who is using aid another to boost his disguise check, they're wearing a long dress so the lower Kobold has total concealment. the upper kobold has maxed ranks in disguise and has cast disguise self.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-09, 08:38 AM
Pretty sure skill items only come in one form of bonus.
A luck stone gives you a bonus to everything, including skill checks,so I can make an item that gives me a luck bonus to ONLY a single skill check. That was my logic anyway, and I asked my DM.

Zuljita
2011-03-09, 10:02 AM
a kobold balancing on another kobold's shoulders who is using aid another to boost his disguise check, they're wearing a long dress so the lower Kobold has total concealment. the upper kobold has maxed ranks in disguise and has cast disguise self.

This can end one of two ways, hilarity or tears... possibly both.

Funkyodor
2011-03-09, 10:06 AM
Don't just think of disguising your race/gender. Think about disguising your stats as well. Just imagine if your Male Kobold wanted to appear as if he had a 20 Strength and Constitution to appear intimidating, or a 6 Str/Con to appear frall and weak. Like bouncers at a club wearing skin tight shirts to show off whatever bulk they do have. Sometimes they want to appear more threatening than they are so they aren't messed with.

Escheton
2011-03-09, 11:51 AM
Enlarge/reduce person helps a lot here.
Dsiguise self lets you add/reduce a little weight or height
And Alter self, well I don't have to tell you what fun you can have there...

Aharon
2011-03-09, 11:58 AM
re: bonus types
expensive, but if you absolutely need a high bonus, you can acquire the Artificer bonus type shuffling via minor schemas, found in Magic of Eberron. And nothing is more stylish than a dodge bonus to Disguise. You're dodging questions about what you really are :smalltongue:

Pika...
2011-03-09, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the help so far folks!

Anyone know of any premade items for disguise? My character already has the ability to spam disguise on himself, so the hat of disguise is pointless.

Also, I am still curious how hi I need to make my modifier to be able to use the bunny ears I put in his inventory. :smallbiggrin: "Hoppy, hoppy!"

Aharon
2011-03-09, 02:04 PM
Edit: didn't see Trickery domain spam clause.

Masterwork Tool of Disguise
=> +2 competence bonus

Pika...
2011-03-09, 02:10 PM
Thank you Aharon, but again he can spam the Trickery Domain.

Mando Knight
2011-03-09, 02:17 PM
ps. Also, he has the Disguise spell he can spontaneously cast. Does that 1ft negate it as well?
Disguise Self would not only allow the Kobold to ignore the -25 penalty for trying to appear up to a foot taller or changing your body type, and grants a +10 bonus to Disguise to boot. You'll still take the -4 penalty for trying to pass as a different race and gender, though, and it still has the normal drawbacks of a visual illusion... if someone disbelieves the spell, you suddenly not only lose the +10 to disguise, but also take the -25 penalty for trying to appear a foot taller than you are.

Anyone know of any premade items for disguise? My character already has the ability to spam disguise on himself, so the hat of disguise is pointless.
After Disguise Self, you want to look for Polymorph spells. Although they still also only give a +10 to Disguise, they actually change your form, which can negate penalties such as "other race" or "even larger/smaller than your Disguise Self allows for." Or "Yeah, see, the court Wizard has an item that grants him True Seeing. That's not gonna fly."

Also, I am still curious how hi I need to make my modifier to be able to use the bunny ears I put in his inventory. :smallbiggrin: "Hoppy, hoppy!"
The DC is "no" unless you have Polymorph (or another means of physically turning into a rabbit) or Glibness (I'm a really big rabbit, honest!). Or at least Reduce Person. If you try it with only the rabbit ears and an appropriate amount of size modification, though, you'll probably take a penalty from not having the appropriate materials.

Aharon
2011-03-09, 02:37 PM
Re: Rabbit
Well, kobolds are 2 to 2 1/2 feet. Let's say 2. You can change your height by 50% if you accept -50 to your disguise check, making you appear about 1 tall tall. You can crawl at a speed of 35 feet with haste, making you appear 1 tall long instead of 1 foot tall. Large rabbits can reach 20 inches according to the wikipedia, so you would look like an extraordinarily large rabbit with a legnth of 30 inches. European Hares would be about the size you want to disguise as :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2011-03-09, 03:48 PM
OK, along with his stilts Kobold Male has the following in his Bag of Holding:

Artisan’s outfit
Cleric’s vestments
Cold weather outfit
Courtier’s outfit
Entertainer’s outfit
Explorer’s outfit
Monk’s outfit
Noble’s outfit
Peasant’s outfit
Royal outfit
Scholar’s outfit
Traveler’s outfit
Street Wench outfit
Arrow through head band.
Jester Outfit with Red Nose
Bunny/Hare suit and Bunny Ears
Gnome Military Uniform

Anyone else have some good ideas to add to the inventory? :smallbiggrin:

PS. Note: He is 2.5 ft, and the Disguise spell drops him to 1.5 feet. Bunny/Hare!

The stilts + Disguise spell get him to 4.5...put on too much makeup and Gather Info?

Last Laugh
2011-03-09, 04:44 PM
This can end one of two ways, hilarity or tears... possibly both.

I, am confused.

Lucid
2011-03-09, 04:54 PM
OK, along with his stilts Kobold Male has the following in his Bag of Holding:

Lots of outfits You can actually replace all of those with a single 500gp item, the Vestment of Many Styles(Races of Eberron, p175). Can change into different designs with a command word, and grants a circumstance bonus whenever clothing is part of the disguise.

Morph Bark
2011-03-09, 05:46 PM
Re: Rabbit
Well, kobolds are 2 to 2 1/2 feet. Let's say 2. You can change your height by 50% if you accept -50 to your disguise check, making you appear about 1 tall tall. You can crawl at a speed of 35 feet with haste, making you appear 1 tall long instead of 1 foot tall. Large rabbits can reach 20 inches according to the wikipedia, so you would look like an extraordinarily large rabbit with a legnth of 30 inches. European Hares would be about the size you want to disguise as :smallbiggrin:

Considering 1 foot = 12 inches, you wouldn't even necessarily be a large rabbit. :smallwink:

~Nye~
2011-03-09, 06:22 PM
I'm currently playing a Dromite Wizard. I was caught by slavers, then I escaped with help from a comrade. I dressed up as a kobold and fooled their entire crew that I was one of them. I'd go into detail about the whole thing, but it had to be the funniest session I've ever had.
In terms of disguise, it's not often the disguise that will let you down, it's the social interaction with people who believe that your an ally. Stack bluff!

BobVosh
2011-03-09, 07:35 PM
A luck stone gives you a bonus to everything, including skill checks,so I can make an item that gives me a luck bonus to ONLY a single skill check. That was my logic anyway, and I asked my DM.

Ah. Let me rephrase, the custom magic item chart only has one kind :P
Ya I always thought that was a bit weird.