PDA

View Full Version : If something is "Immune to Magic" does that mean it can't equip items?

Sims
2011-03-09, 10:11 AM
I know if you have spell resistance, your items can still function. But magic immunity is like way more extreme. So does that mean consturcts can't have magic items equipped?

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-09, 10:11 AM
No, it doesn't. Magic immunity basically means you have infinitely high spell resistance.

Psyren
2011-03-09, 10:33 AM
I know if you have spell resistance, your items can still function. But magic immunity is like way more extreme.

As if! Magic immunity and SR are totally like, the same in like, 99% of cases. The only difference is that one can like, be overcome and stuff by SR: Yes spells if you make your CL check and the other is like, no way!

Neither of them will clash with your ensemble, thank the fashion gods!

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-09, 10:34 AM
As if! Magic immunity and SR are totally like, the same in like, 99% of cases. The only difference is that one can like, be overcome and stuff by SR: Yes spells if you make your CL check and the other is like, no way!

Neither of them will clash with your ensemble, thank the fashion gods!

While you did provide an answer, was burying it in such deep sarcasm really necessary?

Mastikator
2011-03-09, 11:31 AM
...No, but I'd rule that you can't get magic bonuses from magic items.

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-09, 11:34 AM
Isn't there another tier of magic immunity in a few very specific monsters though?

Beyond the normal spell immunity?

Keld Denar
2011-03-09, 11:36 AM
While you did provide an answer, was burying it in such deep sarcasm really necessary?

One man's sarcasm is another man's amusement. Picturing a goblin warlock with a valley girl accent had me nearly embarass myself at work with abrupt laughter...

Cause like, OMG, it would be totally a bummer if, like, my wizard couldn't equip that totally hot suit of armor on her golem. Like, for sure!

Tyndmyr
2011-03-09, 11:46 AM

Yes. That was hilarious.

SilverLeaf167
2011-03-09, 11:50 AM
Picturing a goblin warlock with a valley girl accent had me nearly embarass myself at work with abrupt laughter...
It's a Blue Erudite! NITPICK RAGE!!!!
But yeah, I agree that it was hilarious. When you did it, I imagined Cthulhu, and... it was just weird.

Psyren
2011-03-09, 11:56 AM

As others have graciously mentioned in my stead, that wasn't sarcasm, nor was malice intended in the slightest.

Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valspeak

Or the Movie Clueless, which I consider an authority on the subject.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-09, 12:00 PM
As others have graciously mentioned in my stead, that wasn't sarcasm, nor was malice intended in the slightest.

Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valspeak

Or the Movie Clueless, which I consider an authority on the subject.

I know what valley speak is, I just thought that you were being sarcastic because he said "like way more extreme", which I did not think was warranted.

Person_Man
2011-03-09, 12:38 PM
Spell Resistance and Spell Immunity (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spell_Resistance_and_Spell_Immunity)

Having Spell Resistance and/or Spell Immunity in no way prevents you from using magic items, and houseruling otherwise would in fact be boosting the powers of full casters further (ie, it seriously nerfs creatures and builds which would otherwise be a major threat to casters).

The higher tier of protection would be Antimagic (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Antimagic), which does prevent the use of magic items.

Also keep in mind that by default Spell Resistance, Spell Immunity, and Antimagic all apply to psionics by default thanks to the transparency rules.

awa
2011-03-09, 09:56 PM
epic golems are immune to magic rather than having infinite spell resistance

VirOath
2011-03-09, 10:01 PM
There is a difference between 3.5 Magic immunity and 3.0 Magic immunity. The former treats it as infinitely high SR, the latter is just "Immune To Magic."

Since MM2 and the ELH are both 3.0 material, they need to be converted to 3.5. That means that Magic Immunity gets a makeover. The "higher tier" of magic immunity is the older version which was rewritten in 3.5, so it by RAW no longer exists.

Edit: And that means, anything with Magic Immunity negates any source of magic that has SR: Yes. All magic items that don't 'cast' spells have SR: No and are treated as SU abilities (Do not function in an Antimagic Field, yet don't provoke AoOs in operation or need Concentration Checks to be used while taking damage)