PDA

View Full Version : Pseudodragon Bard...[3.5]

Show
2011-03-09, 10:11 AM
So I just had an idea recently. I've been wanting to play a dragon, and finally got it in my head that I should play a pseudodragon instead of a true dragon.

Anyway, my group mostly plays at low levels, so I'm trying to find a way to make this work...
a pseudodragon bard.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I'll be playing a buffer role with
1)Dragonfire Inspiration
2)Song of the Heart
3)Words of Creation
4)Maybe Draconic Heritage?
However, although it gives +7d6 damage at level 13 or so, It is severely lacking in usefulness at level 6 or below. Only 1 level of bard doesn't make for much buffing. I might be able to convince our DM to let me take the LA and RHD after 3 levels of bard or so, which would help. However, the 5 level loss will be difficult to catch up to without some real hardcore shenannigans.

TL,DR:
How do you optimize a pseudodragon with only 1 level of bard for buffing and Dragonfire Inspiration?

Elric VIII
2011-03-09, 10:13 AM
Is Dragonborn Kobold with wings out of the question? You don't even have to use the cheesy venerable age for +3 to mental stats and qualification for loredrake.

Show
2011-03-09, 10:17 AM
Is Dragonborn Kobold with wings out of the question? You don't even have to use the cheesy venerable age for +3 to mental stats and qualification for loredrake.

Well, I could go that path, but although it might not be best as per optimization, I would rather go for pseudodragon with a few dead levels instead of flying kobold.

Greymane
2011-03-09, 10:20 AM

+1 to this. Nothing is wrong with Kobold Bards. Spoiler contains sound proof for this argument.

http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/a/ac/Deekin_portrait.jpg

bokodasu
2011-03-09, 11:24 AM
See if you can do a racial progression? My daughter did her pseudodragon bard by working with the DM to remove pseduodragon features until he'd lower the LA for her - we basically wound up wiping out everything but flight, and still had to deal with the stupid RHD, but maybe your DM is kinder.

begooler
2011-03-09, 11:46 AM
Well, I could go that path, but although it might not be best as per optimization, I would rather go for pseudodragon with a few dead levels instead of flying kobold.

It's not just that the pseudodragon is less optimized, it's hardly functional as a bard as compared to the kobold.
The kobold will have more HD, and 6 bard levels instead of one. With the loss of all the bard levels that the pseudodragon starts out with, I would say it needs to have Extra Music, but then you'd be cutting into your feat progression which is already starting late. The kobold's going to get 3 bard feats at level 6, instead of 1.

I would say with the pseudodragon to use wands to make up for your lost casting progression, and a masterwork instrument to make up for your lost song of courage progression... but the lack of hands makes that a bit of a problem.

As far as flavor goes, I don't see why you can't just call the winged kobold a pseudodragon.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-09, 01:07 PM
+1 to this. Nothing is wrong with Kobold Bards. Spoiler contains sound proof for this argument.

http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/a/ac/Deekin_portrait.jpg

You have no idea how much I hate that little runt, gets all my friggin' glory :smallmad:

And because I'm a massive egotist I'll recommend my Pseudodragon Monster Class. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9229026&postcount=55)