PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Enhancing the planar binding spell line

Alleran
2011-03-09, 10:53 AM
I've got a character who recently picked up the Implore spell (from Dragon Magazine, the one that lets you bind as the planar binding spell up to 24 HD). What I'm wondering is how many ways exist for me to increase that limit further. I've looked into the various guides and handbooks, and found the Infernal Bargainer and Improved Summoning boosts (the first being the RoF feat, and the second a Malconvoker class feature).

There don't, however, seem to be any others around, and I'd really like to be able to bind 25+ HD creatures (or higher, if the possibility exists), especially unique creatures (since they are under no obligation to come in response to a Gate spell, as opposed to the Planar Binding and Implore spells). Without using those two options, are there any options available for me?

Aharon
2011-03-09, 11:28 AM
To further heighten the limit, you can take levels in the Cosmic Descryer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/cosmicDescryer.htm) PrC. Its prereqs can't be fulfilled before epic without cheese, though.

Alleran
2011-03-09, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer to avoid Epic (and the resultant cheese) if I can. Is the Cosmic Descryer the only other way to do it, then?

Gnorman
2011-03-09, 08:52 PM
Is playing a tiefling malconvoker really such a bad thing?

I haven't found any other options besides Infernal Bargainer and Improved Calling. And trust me, I looked.

Alleran
2011-03-09, 10:31 PM
Is playing a tiefling malconvoker really such a bad thing?
Well, considering that I'd have to rebuild the entire character, it is pushing the envelope a bit.

Alleran
2011-03-10, 01:39 AM
(Apologies for the double post.)

As an addendum that has occurred to me regarding the Cosmic Descryer option, assuming that it is accessible pre-epic (I would guess, what, a Old or Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold for the epic feat and the Cityscape +1 skill rank for the skill reqs in Knowledge [the planes]?), what BAB and save progression table would you actually use for it? The class itself doesn't come with anything like that, because it is presumed that you would rely on your epic benefits by the time you were able to enter it (so it would be a non-issue). If you actually get into it pre-epic, what happens?

Additionally, Implore isn't specified as one of the spells that the class feature of the Descryer can enhance. Is it just generally assumed that Implore (as well as other summoning spells) are enhanced in much the same fashion as a Greater Planar Binding would be?

Gnorman
2011-03-10, 03:18 AM
(Apologies for the double post.)

As an addendum that has occurred to me regarding the Cosmic Descryer option, assuming that it is accessible pre-epic (I would guess, what, a Old or Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold for the epic feat and the Cityscape +1 skill rank for the skill reqs in Knowledge [the planes]?), what BAB and save progression table would you actually use for it? The class itself doesn't come with anything like that, because it is presumed that you would rely on your epic benefits by the time you were able to enter it (so it would be a non-issue). If you actually get into it pre-epic, what happens?

Additionally, Implore isn't specified as one of the spells that the class feature of the Descryer can enhance. Is it just generally assumed that Implore (as well as other summoning spells) are enhanced in much the same fashion as a Greater Planar Binding would be?

Cosmic Descryer - poor BAB, good Will, 2 skills a level. It's really just "epic conjurer".

And the Implore question is one for your DM. Implore is an obscure spell from Dragon Magazine, released three years after the Cosmic Descryer, so I'd hardly think it was assumed to work with Superior Planar Summoning, but it's not a bad fit thematically or mechanically.