PDA

View Full Version : Trap for Vampires...

Dzondo
2011-03-09, 03:28 PM
My party and I know that 3 Vampires(rogue,ranger and lancer) are hunting us, and we evin know the date when they will atack us. So we have an oportunity to make a trap for them. But they are very intelegent, and skillful.

I'm iterested in your ideas, and useful items.

There is also a chance that they will hunt us when we aren't prepered, so any advice would be useful.

Privateer
2011-03-09, 11:30 PM
SRD entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) has a section on vampire weaknesses, which you can exploit. Some of them are pretty limiting, like being unable to enter a house without invitation.

Assuming you are good at ranged attacks, you can just stay in a house and engage from the distance safely. Keep garlic as a backup.

Zonugal
2011-03-09, 11:57 PM
SRD entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) has a section on vampire weaknesses, which you can exploit. Some of them are pretty limiting, like being unable to enter a house without invitation.

Assuming you are good at ranged attacks, you can just stay in a house and engage from the distance safely. Keep garlic as a backup.

Better hope they don't start any fires though...

You could attempt to have one party member act as bait, lead them to an inescapable room. Once inside (and the door is secured air-tight with locks & such) have the player pull out a holy symbol to hold them at bay. Do this until sunrise, than you have them where you want them.

RTGoodman
2011-03-09, 11:58 PM
Uh, can we get a party breakdown (classes, levels, etc.)?

Human Paragon 3
2011-03-09, 11:59 PM
Gaseus form will allow them to escape the "inescapable room" unless it's under water or something.

Zonugal
2011-03-10, 12:02 AM
Gaseus form will allow them to escape the "inescapable room" unless it's under water or something.

Well then ugh... It is!

Silus
2011-03-10, 12:07 AM
Lay a trap using body glitter and teenage girls.

Human Paragon 3
2011-03-10, 12:11 AM
Depending on how much gold you have at your disposal, you could load up on scrolls of sun burst and hire npc wizards to read the scrolls forcing multiple ref. saves vs. destruction.

RTGoodman
2011-03-10, 12:11 AM

It doesn't have to be UNDER water. They can't cross running water, so just lure them into a room/building/whatever with some kind of decanter of endless water trap set up to project running water around all the outer edges.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-03-10, 12:17 AM
I really like the running water thing, a weakness often overlooked by many.

Make an artificial river. Like, dig some trenches, something that can't be easily stopped, remove all the rocks and everything that could be used for that from nearby premises... connect these trenches to nearby running water. That's it!

You can either stand on the "island" surrounded by running water and shoot at vampires, or you can try to trap them in there. Camouflage the trenches sufficiently well, lure the vampires on the "island", flood the trenches - the vampires are good as dead.

They can't cross running water by themselves, "Vampires are also unable to cross running water, although they can be carried over it while resting in their coffins or aboard a ship. " because they neither have coffins on hands nor ships, and attempts at construction one could be foiled from far away. And you shouldn't let them have anything on the "island" you've prepared anything. No trees, no bushes, no big rocks.

Then, wait till morning. Boom.

Or kill 'em - I find it unbelievable that their Gaseous Forms can somehow ignore their inherent weaknesses, so they'll be stuck surrounded by running water until they ultimately die soon after, with no access to their coffins.

As for the actual process of creating this running water trap, get either some spells or a lot of brute force, dig wide and deep enough trenches, connect them to a river, test 'em out a few times to make sure they work as intended - the water fills up very fast and continues on running, you might want to dump all the water somewhere past the "island" to promote that flow. Then, erect a thin and easily destroyable barrier barring the river from your newly created artificial river. Something magical, I dunno, be creative, there are plenty options out there. Take time to disguise these trenches so the vampires don't notice them.

Final step, lure 'em in!

Knowledge: Engineering might be helpful for characters to have here...

RTGoodman
2011-03-10, 12:23 AM
The decanter of endless water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater) is for those situations where you CAN'T get access to a natural source of water. You MIGHT could get away with one, but four would be best. (That might not work at 9000gp a pop, though.)

Just turn it to geyser speed, and as they say on the infomercials, "Set it and forget it!"

Grendus
2011-03-10, 12:23 AM
Get an arbalist. Biiiiig effing stakes.

Dvandemon
2011-03-10, 12:24 AM
How about Psionic traps? They probably won't see that coming.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-03-10, 12:28 AM
It doesn't have to be UNDER water. They can't cross running water, so just lure them into a room/building/whatever with some kind of decanter of endless water trap set up to project running water around all the outer edges.

Dammit, swordsaged.

But, yeah, that's the general idea here.

Fox Box Socks
2011-03-10, 12:34 AM
...lancer?

Flickerdart
2011-03-10, 12:35 AM
Depending on your level, the Vampire template adds very little useful things to your foes. The lancer can be neutralized by destroying his mount or engaging in a confined space (which would also stop the ranger if he's archery spec), there are plenty of spells that block a rogue's sneak attack, and rangers in general aren't so great.
The biggest threat will be their slam attacks, but Death Ward is only 4th level. Consider acquiring some construct buddies - maybe rent a golem from a wizard?

Tyndmyr
2011-03-10, 01:06 AM
My party and I know that 3 Vampires(rogue,ranger and lancer) are hunting us, and we evin know the date when they will atack us. So we have an oportunity to make a trap for them. But they are very intelegent, and skillful.

I'm iterested in your ideas, and useful items.

There is also a chance that they will hunt us when we aren't prepered, so any advice would be useful.

Make sure everyone has Protection from Evil up in advance. Dominate is no longer a concern.

Make sure everyone has their standard issue holy symbol for emergencies.

Utilize mirrors and/or running water to make a trap. A no-way out.

Take garlic. Cast light or daylight on it for thematic reasons. Cover in clay, let dry.

Get silver bolts and automatic crossbows. Casters may use Launch Bolt instead. The bigger, the better. Remember, you only need a +1 magic bonus to overcome Gaseous Form.

Rig up elaborate traps, such as lots and lots of explosive runes in certain areas. These are areas the mirrors and water do not block access to. Board all the windows.

Important: Get stylish uniforms. Helmets, jackboots, etc. They will all be black. This is not negotiable.

Invite them in. Have the door slam shut behind them with some sort of lovely permanent lock. Yell code words to each other, and storm out, throwing your flash-bang grenades to herd them into the deathtrap areas, and riddle any slowpokes with automatic fire. Revel in being a medieval swat team.

Dzondo
2011-03-10, 04:28 AM
Uh, can we get a party breakdown (classes, levels, etc.)?
1.Human Claric Saint with VoP
2.Elf looking, Living construct WarMage(with 2 PrC)
3.Swordsage
4.Beguiler with regalia of good
5.Pixie WildMage with Mindsight(LoM)
We will be using Telephatic bond

I have Antimagic Field(Gaseus form [Su]) for that, and I can chase them because 90perfect.

You could attempt to have one party member act as bait, lead them to an inescapable room.

Invite them in...

You have given me an idea: Make a sigh Welcome and put it on Leomund hut(or any of those kind of spells), inside we would need coverd mirrors(lots of mirrors), and when a vampire enters we move the cover and go outside, so a vampire wouldn't be able to move, and when the spell wears out(or is dispelled by someone) it would already be morning.(Let's hope he wont be Terror Vampire)

Get silver bolts and automatic crossbows. Casters may use Launch Bolt instead. The bigger, the better. Remember, you only need a +1 magic bonus to overcome Gaseous Form.
Launch Bolt is going to be very useful(I have it, and I overlooked it).
Rest of the post is also very useful, and most of it is covered.
Code word not nessesery because we are paranoid and we have telephatic bond.

How about Psionic traps? They probably won't see that coming.
I don't know much about psionics or their traps, and I'm prety sure thet they wont see them coming. please give me an example.

Olso I'm interested in Magic Items that I maybe overlooked.
for example: Shirt of Wraith Stalking which gives Hide from Undead at will

hewhosaysfish
2011-03-10, 09:10 AM

Maybe use some sort of flat or appartment for the inescapable room.
Can't pass through the walls/floor/ceiling because that's someone else's home and they're not invited. PCs (or hirelings) with Protection from Evil (to prevent Domination) brandish holy symbols outside the front door and at the outer wall.

EDIT: Or use mirrors instead of holy symbols. They don't have to be held by anyone becase they don't have to be "strongly presented" they just have to be there.
Just prop some big mirrors up around the property, leave a guard to make sure the Vampires don't Dominate a passby into smashing them, then swan off to the pub to wait for daylight to come pouring in the windows.

Chess435
2011-03-10, 10:44 AM
I hereby present this for consideration:

http://www.jjohnsonappraisals.com/Illustrated_Glossary_of_Antique_Terms_Photos/Bellows2.jpg

Gaseous Form Solved! :smallbiggrin:

Bonus points if you bottle them afterwards!

Daftendirekt
2011-03-10, 02:56 PM
Invite them into your house, but then have the floor be made of stakes and holy symbols, and once they step inside, fill the trench that's right outside the door to the house with water so they can never leave. A WINRAR IS YOU.

Cog
2011-03-10, 03:38 PM
...unable to enter a house without invitation.
And just remember, no matter how badly they start insulting you or your mother, never, ever say, "Why don't you come in here and say that to my face?"

Dvandemon
2011-03-10, 04:10 PM
I don't know much about psionics or their traps, and I'm prety sure thet they wont see them coming. please give me an example.

Olso I'm interested in Magic Items that I maybe overlooked.
for example: Shirt of Wraith Stalking which gives Hide from Undead at will

Frankly, I don't know enough to actually tell you about them either :smallredface: But I do think that maybe if you take a magic trap (one based on a spell) and find a Psionic equivalent (based on a power [:smalltongue:]) they wouldn't have the defenses for it :smallwink:

Aspenor
2011-03-10, 04:14 PM
Carry around a small steel mirror. Beat vampires without fighting.

Diarmuid
2011-03-10, 04:29 PM
I dont mean to be "that guy" but are your characters aware of the Vampires' weaknesses?

Honestly, unless you A) know where their coffins are, or B) can immobilize gases for 2 hours, you can basically inconvenience them for a couple hours.

*Edited for accuracy

Chess435
2011-03-10, 04:42 PM
B) can immobilize gases for 2 hours, you can basically inconvenience them for a couple hours.

Look at my last post. :smallwink:

Beelzebub1111
2011-03-10, 04:49 PM
Antimagic field. Half of a vampire's abilities (including alternate form, their damage reduction and energy draining) are supernatural abilities. One antimagic field and they can neither get away nor fight anywhere near as effectively.

Dzondo
2011-03-10, 04:51 PM
I dont mean to be "that guy" but are your characters aware of the Vampires' weaknesses?

Honestly, unless you A) know where their coffins are, or B) can immobilize gases for 2 hours, you can basically inconvenience them for a couple hours.

*Edited for accuracy
We know their weeknesses(but they can also acquire magic items that could help them[]), we know where their coffins are(they are caring each other coffin in their bag of holding), and they wont atack at the same time, and they wont quit after one defeat, they will keep coming back until they kill us all(last time there was 2 of them),
so the idea is to find them and kill them before they can retreat.

Dzondo
2011-03-10, 05:06 PM
Antimagic field. Half of a vampire's abilities (including alternate form, their damage reduction and energy draining) are supernatural abilities. One antimagic field and they can neither get away nor fight anywhere near as effectively.
AMF will be only used after they drop to 0hp, because supresing some of his abilities wont work to good for us(mostly caster party) and our DM can be very tricky with chalenges.
Once we were atacing vampire with sword, magic and Cure Serious Wounds, what we didn't know is that that Vampire was a Terror Vampire and he supresd his weeknesses for a couple of rounds, so a neardead vampire was healed to max, luckily my previous character(Saint Ninja with VoP[with 15-20 *3]) roled 20,20,15 while sneak atacking, total DMG was 200+.

So what I realy need is somethig my DM may overlooked, like psionic traps, or a couple canisters of endles water...

Hopefully he isn't reading this thread...

Dvandemon
2011-03-10, 05:43 PM
Well the main problem with Psionic traps is, you need to have access to psionic items, and know how to make traps. If you have access to Psionics in the game then obviously your DM knows about them and can easily give the vamps defenses against it should it come up. If anything, I guess you should try to exploit their weaknesses creatively to limit any chances of countering