PDA

View Full Version : Can a Construct wear Armor?

Sims
2011-03-09, 03:30 PM
Even though they are kind of made out of it. Could a humanoid construct wear Armor? Or shields? Getting it on would be a bitch without help. XD But one of my players wants to be an "Inevitable"

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-09, 03:32 PM
Yes, they can, though if they are not human-sized or shaped, they'd have to be specially built. They still need the appropriate feats to not incur penalties, however.

Prime32
2011-03-09, 05:38 PM
The inevitables in the MM are already wearing armour.

LibraryOgre
2011-03-09, 05:41 PM
Even though they are kind of made out of it. Could a humanoid construct wear Armor? Or shields? Getting it on would be a bitch without help. XD But one of my players wants to be an "Inevitable"

In theory, yes. You can, in fact, stick specially modified Masterwork Studded Leather on all your constructs to give them a +3 Armor bonus. In theory, Warforged are also capable of wearing armor (made for their forms), though they generally do not.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-09, 06:05 PM
In theory, yes. You can, in fact, stick specially modified Masterwork Studded Leather on all your constructs to give them a +3 Armor bonus. In theory, Warforged are also capable of wearing armor (made for their forms), though they generally do not.
It wouldn't stack with their inherent armor bonus, however...

Marnath
2011-03-09, 06:08 PM

Doesn't stop you from adding +whatever equivalent stuff to the plating and wearing nice mundane armor over it to get better ac on the cheap, does it?

LibraryOgre
2011-03-09, 06:20 PM

Looking at the SRD, none of them have an Armor bonus. They have Natural Armor bonuses, which stack just fine.

awa
2011-03-09, 06:22 PM
i think warforged have an armor bonus as opposed to natural armor but they are the exception

LibraryOgre
2011-03-09, 06:31 PM
i think warforged have an armor bonus as opposed to natural armor but they are the exception

Ah, that is a valid interpretation of Jack's sentence. In that case, yeah, that would inhibit warforged.

Which is why you take ranks in Craft: Armorsmith and bolt armor to your frame. :smallbiggrin:

"It's in the blood, it's in the will
It's in the mighty hands of steel" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKpByV5764)

Marnath
2011-03-09, 06:32 PM
Looking at the SRD, none of them have an Armor bonus. They have Natural Armor bonuses, which stack just fine.

Normal constructs maybe, but warforged aren't in the SRD. :smallwink:

Daftendirekt
2011-03-09, 08:01 PM
Why, oh why, do people always say that Warforged can wear armor? I quote the Eberron Campaign Setting:

"This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes. Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be."

arguskos
2011-03-09, 08:03 PM
Why, oh why, do people always say that Warforged can wear armor? I quote the Eberron Campaign Setting:

"This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes. Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be."
The Unarmored Body feat wants a word. :smalltongue: Yes, it's silly, but also true.

LOTRfan
2011-03-09, 08:03 PM
I wonder what a Warforged with the Unarmored Body feat looks like...

Pika...
2011-03-09, 08:18 PM
Does he feel embarrassed in front of other warforged?

LOTRfan
2011-03-09, 08:23 PM
Does he feel embarrassed in front of other warforged?

My parts are showing?!? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ol8gkjjKOg)

Thurbane
2011-03-09, 08:26 PM
I wonder what a Warforged with the Unarmored Body feat looks like...
Like Arnie at the end of Terminator, after the fuel truck explosion? :smalltongue:

LOTRfan
2011-03-09, 08:37 PM
Like Arnie at the end of Terminator, after the fuel truck explosion? :smalltongue:

That's one terrifying Warforged. :smalltongue:

Daftendirekt
2011-03-09, 08:53 PM
The Unarmored Body feat wants a word. :smalltongue: Yes, it's silly, but also true.

Sure, why take a feat and get loads of armor free when you can take a feat AND have to pay a lot for armor.

LOTRfan
2011-03-09, 08:57 PM
It's meant for arcane casters, who probably won't be wearing armor anyway.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-09, 09:15 PM
It's meant for arcane casters, who probably won't be wearing armor anyway.

Psh, just take adamantine body and be a psion. WIN!

LibraryOgre
2011-03-09, 09:36 PM

Because I frequently ignore rules in favor of sense. Furthermore, the Races of Eberron supplement has different wording...

This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or robe, and thus a warforged cannot benefit from wearing magic armor or magic robes.

Not that armor cannot be worn; that magic armor won't benefit them.

It's quite possible, in a physical sense, to put armor or robes on top of a warforged... especially robes, since you just have to cut it really big in the shoulders. Making armor for a warforged would be easier than making it for a human, once you have the design, since you don't have to worry as much about padding or plates digging uncomfortably. For many armors, you can pretty much just rivet it directly to the plate, and cast mending every now and again... reinforcing their "natural" armor bonus, or just letting him "change clothes" with a rivet puller.

LOTRfan
2011-03-09, 10:02 PM
Psh, just take adamantine body and be a psion. WIN!

But don't Warforged need Psiforged Body to be psionic classes?

Marnath
2011-03-09, 10:38 PM
Take a look at this cleric and honestly tell me he gets less benefit from that chain shirt just because whats under it is tougher than flesh. They should totally get to use armor, even if it can't be magic.

For that matter, the wizard's robes or the big guy who may or may not have added some of those spiky bits himself.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/warforged_illo.jpg

Daftendirekt
2011-03-09, 11:55 PM
But don't Warforged need Psiforged Body to be psionic classes?

No, you don't NEED to. It just essentially makes you naturally psionic, and you turn yourself into a cognizance crystal. Here, read this. (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2269-psiforged-body.html)

Fox Box Socks
2011-03-10, 12:02 AM
The idea of an animated suit of armor wearing a suit of armor tickles my fancy just so.

panaikhan
2011-03-10, 03:12 AM
How about flesh golems?
Is it east to add AC to these guys?

MeeposFire
2011-03-10, 03:19 AM
Take a look at this cleric and honestly tell me he gets less benefit from that chain shirt just because whats under it is tougher than flesh. They should totally get to use armor, even if it can't be magic.

For that matter, the wizard's robes or the big guy who may or may not have added some of those spiky bits himself.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/warforged_illo.jpg

Careful that is a 4e picture and in 4e warforged do wear armor just like everybody else (though there are warforged only armor enchantments as well).

The quote is "cannot wear armor or magic robes" which means no armor of any type and you cannot wear a magic robe. Normal robes should be fine if you want them. In order for non-magical armor to be allowed the quote would need to say "cannot wear magical armor or robes" or "magical armor or magic robes". 3e warforged are expected to either spend a feat to wear armor, spend a feat to get a better armor analog, or stick with your original plating.

Careful most/all inevitables already have armor so you need to work around that.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-10, 06:59 AM
Races of Eberron does say "cannot wear magic armour or magic robes", you know.