PDA

View Full Version : Mounts with Climb Speed

Morph Bark
2011-03-09, 07:59 PM
So the next game Imma DM for my RL group will be a 3.5 pirate campaign. One of my players has expressed a desire to play a mounted character.

Something in my mind clicked: this has potential for awesome.

It also comes with some problems though, as a horse isn't generally very suited for being on a ship. I also figured that since this character is likely going to be the group scout, he might be in the crow's nest a lot. Conclusion? A mount with climb speed is what he needs.

So yeah, what are good mounts that have climb speed? If they got a high base land speed (or at least Jump modifier), even better.

Cerlis
2011-03-09, 09:04 PM
halfing rogue (or swashbuckler, or scout or ninja) halfling outrider with a climb dog. its from the Arms and Equipment guide. Doggy with talonlike paws so it can climb trees and stuff.

I like it and i'd so do it myself and halflings are small enough to get anywhere on the ship fast and easy and have the acrobatics to do it (expessially with skill monkey class skills)

though if you did halfling ranger he could go ranged combat, use his normal feats for mounted combat stuff and use thrown weapons. He would get +3 to hit with thrown weapons and rangers get full BAB and (my major concern) they get an animal companion (which would be the climb dog) so it would have extra hp and...IMP evasion i think? being an animal companion and having mounted combat (preventing your mount from getting hit?) would mean he wouldnt have to replace his mount every battle (seeing as most mounts have...like what? 3 hit dice for something as big as a horse?)

P.S. Dog can probably swim better than a horse too.

Warsmurf
2011-03-09, 09:36 PM
Might want to also look at Iguanas or other amphibious animals that have a swim AND climb speed. Would make tons of sense in a seafaring campaign.

I think they have stats for them in the Arms and Equipment guide as well, or maybe Stormwrack? Not to sure on book sources. Could always just custom advance a monitor lizard.

LibraryOgre
2011-03-09, 09:38 PM
Big lizard... like a giant iguana or something. Make it have a climb speed and a swim speed, for that double-usefulness.

Xyk
2011-03-09, 09:40 PM
I believe this is what you're looking for:
http://drnorth.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/vlcsnap-84245.png?w=585&h=243

LibraryOgre
2011-03-09, 09:48 PM
Of SRD animals, Constrictor snakes technically have the triple threat of medium size, climb speeds and swim speeds. However, even though they're technically "medium" and I wouldn't argue with that size... I really can't see a halfling effectively riding even a 10' python.

Xyk
2011-03-09, 10:43 PM
Arms and Equipment guide has a Riding Lizard with the equivalent of permanent Spider Climb as cast by a 20th level sorcerer (and 40ft speed), as well as Giant Ants for small creatures' mounts, and other giant vermin.

Climbdog is small sized, so won't work for any core races.

Darrin
2011-03-09, 10:56 PM
I've always been fond of the Footpad Lizard (Drow of the Underdark). Speed 30' isn't exactly much of an improvement, but the Climb 30' is nothing to sneeze at. Also, 10' reach + Improved Grab + constrict for bite damage. And it's got 5HD, right at one of those sweet spots where adding the Warbeast template gives it a bonus feat.

thereaper
2011-03-10, 02:01 AM
No one mentioned Gold Widow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) yet?

For shame.

MightyPirate
2011-03-10, 02:24 AM
I've been hanging out in the motivator thread to long so you get this:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6184/motivator18f0a43ed9c116.jpg

arguskos
2011-03-10, 02:29 AM
The Climbdog (Arms and Equipment Guide, pg 76). It is literally a dog, that climbs. It comes in Small, Medium, and Large. It's basically perfect for what you need. Better, if the character is a halfling of some kind.

There are no listed rules for mounting it, but there are rules for training it, leading me to believe that you could ride it with little concern. It'd do what you need, for certain.

Poil
2011-03-10, 03:12 AM
Couldn't you use some sort of giant spider? Maybe do some mounted charges swinging using spider silk ropes hanging from the mast.

thereaper
2011-03-10, 03:25 AM
Couldn't you use some sort of giant spider? Maybe do some mounted charges swinging using spider silk ropes hanging from the mast.

No one mentioned Gold Widow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) yet?

For shame.

:smallamused:

Morph Bark
2011-03-10, 08:20 AM
halfing rogue (or swashbuckler, or scout or ninja) halfling outrider with a climb dog. its from the Arms and Equipment guide. Doggy with talonlike paws so it can climb trees and stuff.

I like it and i'd so do it myself and halflings are small enough to get anywhere on the ship fast and easy and have the acrobatics to do it (expessially with skill monkey class skills)

I've always been fond of the Footpad Lizard (Drow of the Underdark). Speed 30' isn't exactly much of an improvement, but the Climb 30' is nothing to sneeze at. Also, 10' reach + Improved Grab + constrict for bite damage. And it's got 5HD, right at one of those sweet spots where adding the Warbeast template gives it a bonus feat.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those then.

For shame.

Um, that's not really helpful, to be honest. I mean, you're not even telling me where I need to look exactly. CTRL+F "Gold Widow" gives nothing, so it is in a spoiler, but there are tons there. So yeah.

Darrin
2011-03-10, 09:02 AM

Spider = vermin, which are mindless, and thus makes them difficult to train as a mount. Although don't tell that to the drow (Vermin Trainer feat, DotU) or Eberron druids (Child of Winter).

I forgot the Footpad Lizard has Light Sensitivity, which means it has to wear sunglasses (sundark goggles, 10 GP, Races of the Dragon), but that just makes it even more awesome.

only1doug
2011-03-10, 09:54 AM

Um, that's not really helpful, to be honest. I mean, you're not even telling me where I need to look exactly. CTRL+F "Gold Widow" gives nothing, so it is in a spoiler, but there are tons there. So yeah.

The Gold Widow was the paladins mount, celestial giant spider.

only1doug
2011-03-10, 10:30 AM
Celestial giant spider

Ballroom Blitz

<snip>

Paladin, out of character: “Then I guess it's time for me to summon my mount.”

Warforged, out of character: “Yeah, a horse probably won't help us much down here.”

Paladin: “Yeah, I don't have a horse anymore. Trust me.”

The DM smiles slyly, and tells us what we see. A dark shape melts from the ceiling and descends slowly towards the attacker. We can't make it out in the shadows, but it's big.

Paladin, in character, to the attacker: "As a warrior of all that's virtuous and honest in this world, I need to inform you that a giant spider is about to attack you from behind."
The attacker smirks.

And finally we see it. The flame from the torch reflects off its segmented eyes, and we see the dark, but somehow 'silvery' carapace of a celestial monstrous spider grapple the attacker effortlessly and spin him up in a bundled web before pulling him up and dropping the torch to the stone ground harmlessly.

...CELESTIAL MONSTROUS SPIDER?

Yup. Our paladin has a brand new bag. And it's AWESOME. First off, a silvery carapace and golden eyes? Oh yes. And it's slower than a horse, but it has a climb speed, and webs (no venom. Paladin spiders don't get venom, fair enough). And he can RIDE it, and it's INTELLIGENT, and friendly towards us. I think it's less physically durable than a horse, but I don't care. CELESTIAL SPIDER MOUNT.

Our paladin is still a good guy, and a warrior of paladin morals. But he's become, uh, 'dark' and insane enough that heaven isn't giving him a horse anymore. He's gonna be riding around on a Large sized spider.

And I fully approve.

Anyway, more has actually happened since then, but I'm getting tired, and the writing is starting to wear on my mind. We managed to find the vampires coffin and stake it.

Thefurmonger
2011-03-10, 11:18 AM
........... Thank you for the link to the Silverclaw campaign.

Just wow....

I think I have Campaign envy