PDA

View Full Version : Iot7FV - How do I Use It?

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-09, 08:57 PM
I can see some uses myself, of course, but what are some generalized tactics to making my Initiate effective in battle?

FMArthur
2011-03-09, 08:59 PM
Pull out a lawn chair, look at your enemies, sit down and say "you may proceed".

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-09, 10:02 PM
Pull out a lawn chair, look at your enemies, sit down and say "you may proceed".

As funny as that is, my question is in all seriousness - I blow at caster op.

FMArthur
2011-03-09, 10:05 PM
Me too. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not sure about offensive use of the veils, but I'd just let them take care of my defense while acting like a perfectly normal spellcaster in other respects - depending entirely on what type of caster I wanted to play of course. I probably would absolutely not just wade into melee as if I were invulnerable, above all else. I don't have CA right here with me but I think weapons still can reach past. Arrows and enemy spellcasters might be the greatest concern, though.

gallagher
2011-03-09, 10:14 PM

missing one thing.

when you put up the veil, trap the areas around it so that people who try to go around get hurt too. otherwise it might as well be a maginot line.

but yeah, what you do is put your veil up after they figure out that the best thing to do is kill you. if chargers charge, i believe they are allowed to stop before they go through it. you dont have to be an optimized caster to be effective, you just need to know what to plan for

VirOath
2011-03-09, 10:21 PM
The veils themselves practically make you invincible so long as you know that the attack is coming. They aren't swift actions, they are immediate actions, meaning they can be raised during any action taken by anyone, and go first.

This means they can be used to block Line Of Effect for spells, arrows, charges, or anything else that covers distance.

Beyond that, you have got spells. I'm not a fan of SoD or SoL because of their binary nature, but Save and Suck is always good, a sprinkle of battlefield control, and just pick what spells you want to have fun with.

You've already got an ability that pretty much lets you flat out say NO to almost anything. At Iot7FV 4 you are pretty much god player. Add in the options of the veils themselves, and you're good.

Best part about this you can take almost any wizard or spell handbook and apply it to the build.

Alleran
2011-03-09, 10:47 PM
The best way to use IotSV is to stand right where the enemy can see you, smirk and give them the "bring it" hand gesture.

Assuming they're stupid enough to do that, then a "trollface" expression is obligatory.

Tvtyrant
2011-03-09, 10:58 PM
Reverse Gravity, walk beneath them and release it :D

In all honestly the point of Iot7FV is to gain near immunity to attack; its essentially a defensive template you top off a caster with. If you want to make it flavory use the various prismatic spells to attack with.

The one thing about its requirements is that they eat feats, so a wizard is going to do better then a Sorcerer. That also mitigates the number of Abjuration spells you have to know.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-09, 11:15 PM
I can see some uses myself, of course, but what are some generalized tactics to making my Initiate effective in battle?

The veils are defensive. All of them. Read what they do, pick the most appropriate ones for the situation. Position yourself on the battlefield wisely, so area denial will work for you. Remember, allies inside with you is often a good thing.

Otherwise, just be a wizard, really.

Kalidescopic Doom is very situational. It's a way to flatten a buffed up wizard in short order. When you come across one...use it as an opener. Even if they are fortunate enough to survive, they'll be sans buffs and almost certainly pretty tore up. Easy to finish off. Don't bother using it on anyone without a pile of buffs, though.