PDA

View Full Version : Soulborn in a low level game?

danzibr
2011-03-09, 10:13 PM
Looking at their table, it seems Soulborn don't shine much until later. If the campaign I'm going to be playing in won't be going too high (not sure the exact level... we're starting at 2), should I probably choose something else?

I'm very open to suggestions. Specifically, I want a holy butt-kicking type character (originally Paladin but I thought Soulborn would be a refreshing change). Also, going Goliath.

Fox Box Socks
2011-03-09, 10:34 PM
Unless you're optimizing like all hell, Soulborn doesn't shine ever.

dextercorvia
2011-03-09, 10:59 PM
Crusader fits the bill of Holy butt kicking, and ToB characters really shine in the early levels.

I had a Cleric in a PbP with the War domain (and maybe Sun). I played him from 1-3 and some of the other players actually asked (OOC) whether he was a Paladin. If I were doing it again, I'd skip the Sun domain, unless it was an undead heavy campaign.

Soulborn is the worst of the Incarnum Classes. I have yet to figure out a use for it.

Grendus
2011-03-10, 12:18 AM
Take Cleric, go into Ordained Champion. All the Paladin flavor, without the Paladin hangover (what do you mean I only get fourth level spells? I jammed myself into an alignment straight jacket for this?). Polish it off with the PrC of your choice (I like Bone Knight, but that's a little further from the paladin side of the street imo. Maybe Church Inquisitor? or there's always the RK'W').

Alternatively, Favored Souls can be fun if you have a good array of stats. Cleric flavor, without so much T1 guilt.

MeeposFire
2011-03-10, 02:18 AM
Soulborns do better if it is low level only. Think about it you have heavy armor, great hp, and full BAB. As you get more levels it gets less appealing just like most melee (though faster than most) so if it is going to stay very low level you will be alright. Still crusader, cleric, or even a fighter or ranger with an emphasis on faith would be better.

Psyren
2011-03-10, 10:45 AM
Soulborns do better if it is low level only. Think about it you have heavy armor, great hp, and full BAB.

Those things just put you on par with a fighter or paladin. You get no chakra binds, essentia or even melds until 4, at which point you get a single meld and have to wait until 6 for the other two. Which begs the question, why are you even playing Incarnum if you have to wait so long to use any of it?

dextercorvia
2011-03-10, 11:14 AM
If it is low level melee you are looking for, you could just be a Barbarian and call your rage abilities, Divine Fury. If you aren't getting spells, being holy is in the fluff. Maybe you are illiterate, because you aren't worthy to read the holy texts.

MeeposFire
2011-03-10, 11:20 AM
Those things just put you on par with a fighter or paladin. You get no chakra binds, essentia or even melds until 4, at which point you get a single meld and have to wait until 6 for the other two. Which begs the question, why are you even playing Incarnum if you have to wait so long to use any of it?

Indeed but it is also the only stuff that actually matter. That is when soulborn is most competitive just because at those levels those abilities are important. In terms of incarnum sure you are still missing out and I fail to see the point of taking it, but if you do you won't be so weak to be useless you will just be boring which is a big difference.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-10, 11:32 AM
You could play a good or lawful incarnate. You get all the tasty soulmeld stuff right off the bat, and while you can't be strictly LG, there is no rule against leaning one way or the other. Personally I would just say play a fighter and talk the gm into giving you Know(religion) as a class skill. Call power attacking smiting and there you go. Plus without Detect evil, you can actually go more Miko than Miko.

Indon
2011-03-10, 11:36 AM
Looking at their table, it seems Soulborn don't shine much until later. If the campaign I'm going to be playing in won't be going too high (not sure the exact level... we're starting at 2), should I probably choose something else?

If you're interested in Essentia use for your character, you could be an Incarnum race and grab an Incarnum feat or two, while being an entirely different class. For instance, Sapphire Smite effectively gives you an extra smite attempt that you can juggle between other Incarnum feats (if you have other Incarnum feats) if you don't want it. Soulsight is also nice for any melee because it gives you Blindsense against anything alive and in melee range of you. Plus, you'll have more Essentia than a Soulborn for quite a few levels.

Lans
2011-03-10, 02:36 PM
Do the alignmentless Incarnate. You can find details on it on pg 24 in MoI.

flabort
2011-03-10, 02:50 PM
Quick Q:
Is your Butt Kicking holy, or are you kicking holy butts? :smalltongue:

That's probably the most important question, though, since it's the fundamental idea of this build, right?