PDA

View Full Version : Summer Wars, Via Tabletop: So, the Matrix and Facebook Meet in An Inn...

Leliel
2011-03-10, 12:37 AM
Anyway, just watched a little OVA by the name of Summer Wars, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Wars) in which Facebook has apparently become the predecessor to the Matrix, and a slightly-dysfunctional family and one daughter's math genius fake fiancee who end up having to stop Skynet's prototype.

If that is not one of the most awesome sentences I have ever wrote, I am calling a data miner to find the ones that are more awesome.

In any case, this has naturally led to the idea of a game in which the PCs are actually the OZ avatars of people based on their real selves, who go on adventures throughout the virtual city's underbelly in between being roped into fighting Love Machine's successors (because as we all know, authority figures in fiction are notoriously forgetful when it comes to weapons).

The problem is I'm looking for a game system to run this in. I'm partial to M&M, but then again...

So, what would you do for a game in which you explore the world's most awesome and impractical social network?

wayfare
2011-03-11, 03:00 AM
Anyway, just watched a little OVA by the name of Summer Wars, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Wars) in which Facebook has apparently become the predecessor to the Matrix, and a slightly-dysfunctional family and one daughter's math genius fake fiancee who end up having to stop Skynet's prototype.

If that is not one of the most awesome sentences I have ever wrote, I am calling a data miner to find the ones that are more awesome.

In any case, this has naturally led to the idea of a game in which the PCs are actually the OZ avatars of people based on their real selves, who go on adventures throughout the virtual city's underbelly in between being roped into fighting Love Machine's successors (because as we all know, authority figures in fiction are notoriously forgetful when it comes to weapons).

The problem is I'm looking for a game system to run this in. I'm partial to M&M, but then again...

So, what would you do for a game in which you explore the world's most awesome and impractical social network?

A few ideas:

D20 modern always merits attn, and its free via srd!
-Honestly, it is great for cyberpunk games.
-Idea: have prestige classes that you can only access while online.

Shadowrun, just drop the magic.

NWoD. The core book is fairly all purpose, and Mirrors: Bleeding Edge could help you design your setting.