PDA

View Full Version : Water Druid (variant Druid spell list, 3.X)

Zaydos
2011-03-10, 12:49 AM
Found an old note book of mine which had some homebrew and amongst that was a variant spell list for 0 to 4th level druid spells (don't ask why it didn't go higher) It seems to be Core 3.0 only, but a quick conversion to core 3.5 is being done and then I'm posting it.

So this would be a variant spell list for a particularly water-themed druid (I believe the original was for druids living on a moon that was covered with water and small islands). Changes from the original are spoilered.

Special:
Lose: Ability to spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally.
Gain: Ability to spontaneously cast spells from the Water domain.
This was post 3.5 but I only had the 3.0 PHB at the time so I was playing a 3.2 game

0:
Lose: Flare
Gain: Ray of Frost

1st:
Lose: Faerie Fire, Entangle, Produce Flame.
Gain: Grease.
Original version lost Shillelagh instead of Entangle; also lost Produce Flame as a 2nd level spell.

2nd:
Lose: Fire Trap, Flame Blade, Flaming Sphere, Heat Metal.
Gain: Blur, See Invisibility, and Whispering Wind
Original version gained Fog Cloud, Wind Wall, and Gust of Wind as well... but two of those are on the druid 2nd level list and one is 3rd level and shouldn't be leveled down

3rd:
Lose: Meld into Stone, Stone Shape, Spike Growth
Gain: Gaseous Form, Water Walk.
Original version also lost Poison and Contagion

4th:
Lose: Flame Strike, Spike Stones, Rusting Grasp.
Gain: Control Water, Air Walk
Original version gained Ice Strike (I think that's from Tome and Blood), and Wall of Ice, and regained Poison and Contagion.

5th:
Lose: Wall of Fire
Gain: Wall of Ice, Ice Storm.
From this point on there is no original version :smallconfused:

6th:
Lose: Fire Seeds, Wall of Stone.
Gain: Cone of Cold, Wind Walk

7th:
Lose: Fire Storm, Transmute Metal to Wood
Gain: Acid Fog

8th:
Lose: Earthquake
Gain: Horrid Wilting.

9th:
Lose: None.
Gain: None.

So yeah mostly just nostalgia for me but also just thought someone might want to use a slightly tweaked water druid spell list some day. Not as necessary with Spell Comp and Storm Wrack out but with just Core it might be nice.

Diovid
2011-03-10, 07:01 AM
I've always loved the idea of elemental druids but I'd go a bit further than changing the spell list. Something like:

Add Knowledge (the Planes) as a class skill.

Aquan as a bonus language instead of sylvan.

In addition to the normal list the animal companion may be a water elemental (as the elemental companion from complete mage) or a aquatic animal companion (as the aquatic animal companion from stormwrack).

Woodland Stride + Trackless Step replaced by something like walking on water (possibly a limited time per day) or a swim speed.

Resist Nature's Lure and Venom Immunity should also be replaced by something.

Elemental Wild Shape can be used to wild shape into any elemental (small, medium or large) with the aquatic, cold and/or water subtype but not other elementals. The new form’s Hit Dice can’t exceed the character’s druid level of course.

Wild Empathy should be changed to something like:
A druid can improve the attitude of a creature with the aquatic, cold and/or water subtype. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The druid rolls 1d20 and adds her druid level and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result.

The creature must have a con score. For every point of intelligence the creature has above 2 take a -2 penalty on the check.

To use wild empathy, the druid and the creature must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing a creature in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.