PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Help with wings or winged mount/companion

Socko525
2011-03-10, 07:31 AM
So one of my fellow players has decided that she wants her character to either have wings or have a mount/companion with wings i.e. Pegasus, hippogriff, etc.

She is a CG Aasimar Cleric who just hit level 6 and hasn't chosen her feat yet.

So I was wondering, what's the fastest/ best way to go about this? Seeing as how she's an aasimar,she'd like to try and go for feathered/angelic like wings. I saw the outsider wings feat, which looks like it may be the fastest way to go about it, but I was wondering what else is out there. Is there a decent class that a cleric could prestige into that would eventually give her wings? Or perhaps an easy way to gain a pegasus/hippogriff/other winged companion?

I've read some things about grafting, but I'm not sure where to look for those rules.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Curmudgeon
2011-03-10, 07:40 AM
Given that the character is an Aasimar and Good-aligned, that approach (Celestial Bloodline + Outsider Wings) is probably best. The normal option for feathered wings is the graft in Fiend Folio, but that's going to push her to Evil.

Sarakos
2011-03-10, 07:48 AM
There's grafting in the Fiend Folio which can give you Black feathered wings which provide you with a fly speed of double your movement speed. Its a graft in the Fiend Folio which should speak for itself about the inherent evilness its supposed to have. As a Fiendish graft good characters have to roll a Will save every day to avoid becoming evil if I remember right. The wings can be refluffed as white and angelic and the DM can waive the whole evil thing if he wants. Its relatively cheap too as far as grafts go.

The second way is through Favored Soul in Complete Divine grants wings as a class feature. The class uses both Wis and Charisma as casting stats though, Wis for save DC and Charisma for spells per day. The limited spells known also restrict the player somewhat and force them to specialize in one, maybe two things like healing and buffing.

Last way I can think of would be to take leadership feat which I think she just qualified for this level and get a Pegasus cohort

LordBlades
2011-03-10, 07:57 AM
Also, on the off chance he worships Bahamut, there's the option to become a Dragonborn.

Amphetryon
2011-03-10, 08:01 AM
Moonsea Skysentinel, from Champions of Valor, is mentioned in IC XVIII as giving a Dire Hawk mount.

Socko525
2011-03-10, 08:48 AM
What about paying a wizard to cast wish or limited wish? I know wish could grant wings, but could limited wish? Could either of those just be dispelled?

Sarakos
2011-03-10, 10:35 AM
What about paying a wizard to cast wish or limited wish? I know wish could grant wings, but could limited wish? Could either of those just be dispelled?

I don't see why not, but it would be difficult for a level 6 to find a wizard who can cast wish not to mention expensive as all get out. It might be easier to have her get the wing graft, make it a side quest where she has to prove her faith to her deity and earn a pair of wings using the graft wing stats. She could simply just donate the amount of money the graft normally costs to her church and/or charity and have her granted the wings. I prefer the side quest but donation is a lot simpler and easier.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-10, 10:47 AM
I prefer just buying a hippogriff. They are are made of awesome (much cooler than pegasi), but their primary food source (horses) is a bit of a problem. I had character that made his horse a Earring of sustainence, after the GM made him eat one of the party's mounts, I just made it match his earring of evasion.

gbprime
2011-03-10, 11:19 AM
Buying a Hippogriff is an option if you have a way to control it. (Handle Animal or Ride.) But then it has the standard mount problem... it doesn't level up as you do.

A better option, and still a Hippogriff since they are full of WIN, is to pick up Leadership. A Celestial Hippogriff would have an INT of 3 or better, and could take class levels from then on out. Scout. Skirmish + Diving Charge feat. :smallcool:

Otherwise... two feats to get Outsider Wings, as previously suggested.

Kalim
2011-03-10, 11:37 AM
Given that the character is an Aasimar and Good-aligned, that approach (Celestial Bloodline + Outsider Wings) is probably best. The normal option for feathered wings is the graft in Fiend Folio, but that's going to push her to Evil.

+1 to this.

In a game I'm playing in, our Aasimar Cleric of Pelor was going to do it, but decided to take the Half Celestial transition levels instead, which grants better flight and saves some feats.

Socko525
2011-03-10, 11:42 AM
From just talking it over with her briefly via email, it sounds like she'll be going leadership. The outsider wings would be 30' and she'd still have to deal with reduced speed from armor. So I'm thinking hippogriff will win, and a celestial hippogriff still fits with her whole angelic/aasimar theme.

I'm still a little fuzzy on how leadership works, so she's a level 6 char, with an 18 Cha, so +4 modifier. So that gives her a leadership score of 10. Would she be able to get a celestial hippogriff with a leadership score of 10?

Also with a cohort, getting one would be based on the DM/plot effectiveness correct? Not like a druid praying for an animal companion or a caster summoning a familiar, right?

Thanks again!

gbprime
2011-03-10, 12:52 PM
I'm still a little fuzzy on how leadership works, so she's a level 6 char, with an 18 Cha, so +4 modifier. So that gives her a leadership score of 10. Would she be able to get a celestial hippogriff with a leadership score of 10?

Leadership score 10, but 6 Hit Dice. So she can have as many followers as it lists for Leadership 10, and any cohort she has can be a maximum of a 4 ECL. Technically, a Celestial (+2) Hippogriff (3 HD) is too many, but as a GM I'd let that slide.

Socko525
2011-03-10, 01:23 PM
Leadership score 10, but 6 Hit Dice. So she can have as many followers as it lists for Leadership 10, and any cohort she has can be a maximum of a 4 ECL. Technically, a Celestial (+2) Hippogriff (3 HD) is too many, but as a GM I'd let that slide.

Ah thanks, that clears things up for me. So one last question on the topic of leadership, how do cohort's level up? I understand that they do and can take class levels, but do they level up every time you do, as long as they're two levels below you? Or is there a calculation or something?

Sorry for all the questions, I think my character's going to take leadership now too lol. (Level 7, +7 Cha mod :))

gbprime
2011-03-10, 01:28 PM
Ah thanks, that clears things up for me. So one last question on the topic of leadership, how do cohort's level up? I understand that they do and can take class levels, but do they level up every time you do, as long as they're two levels below you? Or is there a calculation or something?

From the SRD...

Cohorts earn XP as follows:

The cohort does not count as a party member when determining the party’s XP.
Divide the cohort’s level by the level of the PC with whom he or she is associated (the character with the Leadership feat who attracted the cohort).
Multiply this result by the total XP awarded to the PC and add that number of experience points to the cohort’s total.
If a cohort gains enough XP to bring it to a level one lower than the associated PC’s character level, the cohort does not gain the new level—its new XP total is 1 less than the amount needed attain the next level.

So basicly, it earns less XP than a PC, but does it the same way, and when the PC levels up, the cohort can too.

Asheram
2011-03-10, 01:29 PM
There always exists the "Winged" template for +1 in Savage Species.

gbprime
2011-03-10, 01:34 PM
There always exists the "Winged" template for +1 in Savage Species.

It's +2. Expensive for a PC, and you'd need it on a cohort or animal companion to get it to level up as you do.