PDA

View Full Version : 4e forum...

Dalek-K
2011-03-10, 08:50 AM
I really love reading all the threads and the comic (the only webcomic I read since 8 bit theater finished) from this site but is there anywhere I can find a more 4e friendly environment? It really seems like 90% of the topics on this forum is about 3.5 and while I do play 3.5 I would like to get more into 4e.

I'll be sticking around this site of course :)

Oh and I'm not a big fan of the wizards forum, I've had trouble with that site haha.

Sipex
2011-03-10, 09:13 AM
I've got two I go to for in-depth 4e stuff:

http://dnd4.com/phpBB3/index.php and www.penny-arcade.com (check the Critical Failures subforum).

Tyrrell
2011-03-10, 09:58 AM
RPG.net's D&D forum.
http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=89
is where I go to get my 4e information.

Doesn't EN world have a 4E forum?

Sine
2011-03-10, 10:09 AM
RPG.net's D&D forum.

Why yes, yes, it does (http://www.enworld.org/forum/index.php).

Kurald Galain
2011-03-10, 10:17 AM
Go find a good 4E webcomic, and check their forum :smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2011-03-10, 11:56 AM
A big part of making sure you get 4e support on your topics is to tag your posts. [4e] tells people that you're looking for 4e answers to problems, and it tells the mods what you're looking for if people start 3e threadcrapping. While there's a lot of 3.5 in this board, there's a good amount of 4e, too, and some quality people posting on it.

Kiero
2011-03-10, 11:59 AM
A big part of making sure you get 4e support on your topics is to tag your posts. [4e] tells people that you're looking for 4e answers to problems, and it tells the mods what you're looking for if people start 3e threadcrapping. While there's a lot of 3.5 in this board, there's a good amount of 4e, too, and some quality people posting on it.

Which only mildly alleviates the real problem that anything non-3.5/PF is drowned out by the sheer volume of those threads. The moderation policy of locking necro'd threads doesn't help matters either.

Seriously, if this forum was really "all-purpose" like it claims to be, there'd be two subfora, one for 3.5/PF and one for everything else.

Dalek-K
2011-03-10, 12:06 PM
Thanks!

Also I wouldn't mind finding a good 4e web comic but my google-fu is off today.

Is there anyway to petition for those sub categories DnD-> ADnD/2.0 , 3.5/PF, and 4e? I would like to stick around this forum since over all it seems like there are a lot of up standing inter people around these parts :p

RTGoodman
2011-03-10, 12:25 PM
Seriously, if this forum was really "all-purpose" like it claims to be, there'd be two subfora, one for 3.5/PF and one for everything else.

Is there anyway to petition for those sub categories DnD-> ADnD/2.0 , 3.5/PF, and 4e? I would like to stick around this forum since over all it seems like there are a lot of up standing inter people around these parts :p

It was suggested before back in the Summer/Fall of '08 (right after 4E came out), but it was shot down for several reasons. First, a lot of threads are just not edition-specific. Second, there are a lot more games than D&D, and you'd either need a separate subfolder for them all or one lump "Other RPG" folder. It might mean less thread-crapping, but it also means you don't get the experience from people who only hang out in one or the other (and imagine how sparse the "Other RPG" forum would be). Third, it'd probably create more trouble for the mods with having to police more subforums, and having to move threads from one to the other when people inevitably

The solution that we came up with way back when - of using [4E], [3.x], [WoD], or whatever other tags - works fine. If threads get buried, well, that's the nature of a forum. Give it a bump and see if it helps.

Kiero
2011-03-10, 05:26 PM
The solution that we came up with way back when - of using [4E], [3.x], [WoD], or whatever other tags - works fine. If threads get buried, well, that's the nature of a forum. Give it a bump and see if it helps.

Except if it happens to have been down "too long" a mod helpfully comes along and locks it.

MeeposFire
2011-03-10, 05:49 PM
The amount of 3.5 threads has never bothered me but the attitudes you get sometimes does at times.

The WotC forums has a lot of 4e people though it has been a little tiring lately since essentials came out (they have had a pseudo edition war which frankly makes no sense). It is starting to get away from that but every once in a while somebody decides they feel the need to stir up trouble by bringing up an essentials thread and starting it up all over again.

Warlawk
2011-03-10, 06:24 PM
Except if it happens to have been down "too long" a mod helpfully comes along and locks it.

Considering thread necromancy has a six week time frame for no activity in the thread I don't see that really being a major concern. The view for this forum is 35 pages long in my browser, and the oldest of those threads had activity 2/8/11 which is less than 6 weeks so I really don't see how this could be a valid complaint.

Janus
2011-03-10, 06:28 PM
Also I wouldn't mind finding a good 4e web comic but my google-fu is off today.
http://dndorks.com/ is the only one that I'm aware of, though a majority of it is 3.5, and updates got a bit slow after 4e came out.

Kiero
2011-03-10, 06:31 PM
Considering thread necromancy has a six week time frame for no activity in the thread I don't see that really being a major concern. The view for this forum is 35 pages long in my browser, and the oldest of those threads had activity 2/8/11 which is less than 6 weeks so I really don't see how this could be a valid complaint.

Why is it necessary to lock a thread just because it's old? How is it more efficient or a better use of resources to start a new thread, possibly having to link back to conversations in an older thread, rather than just continuing what was already going on?

arguskos
2011-03-10, 06:31 PM
Threads from 2009 crop up from time to time. :smalltongue:

Thread Necromancy can and does happen.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-10, 07:15 PM

I think that is what most annoys me. People ask about 4E and the 3.5 people come in and try and convert.

Warlawk
2011-03-10, 07:54 PM
Why is it necessary to lock a thread just because it's old? How is it more efficient or a better use of resources to start a new thread, possibly having to link back to conversations in an older thread, rather than just continuing what was already going on?

I wasn't trying to say I agree or disagree with the policy either way. I don't write the rules, I was just pointing out that you have to really work at it to find a thread to necro since the standard forum view doesn't even take you back far enough.

Was also trying to point out that the forum rules for necromancy wouldn't really apply to anything recent that you may bump for additional exposure. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be bumping something more than 6 weeks old just on the hope of getting additional responses. The necromancy rules are extremely unlikely to apply unless you deliberately leave the thread alone for that long then bump it.

Threads from 2009 crop up from time to time. :smalltongue:

Thread Necromancy can and does happen.

Wasn't saying it can't be done, just that it takes a bit of work since the standard view of the forum won't even take you far enough back to qualify as necromancy.

huttj509
2011-03-10, 08:35 PM
I think the reasons behind the thread necromancy rules are to attempt to keep things flowing, and avoid rehashing discussions that are done with (though people can just as easily start a new "hey nobody's ever thought of this before" thread to beat dead horses, if it actually is a new take, fine, but wait till next monkday rolls around).

Too often I've seen a thread necro'd on various forums, say, 2 years after anyone had anything to add to the discussion, with a comment that's basically "me too" or something that says "I read the first post, ignored the other 3 pages which covered every conceivable angle, and have a response that duplicates the third post."

Heck, I've even seen "Um, dude, this isn't how those mechanics work" when the thread was from a time when that WAS how the mechanics worked (from some video game forums).

Urpriest
2011-03-10, 10:06 PM
It's been mentioned already, but WotC's 4e forums really aren't that bad. They've got a pretty solid community of handbook writers, for one.

MeeposFire
2011-03-10, 10:14 PM
Its character OP is very good at what it does. So is the rules questions forum. In fact it is very nice outside of the General forum when they get anti essentials crazy, the future releases when they dislike something, and the D&Di forum during the release of the new character builder.

averagejoe
2011-03-10, 11:56 PM
We are aware of this problem. I would suggest that people use the [4e] tags, as Mark Hall, advised, and also to report anyone you suspect of posting in a thread just to disrupt it, or to pointlessly negate the thread's purpose, as both are against the forum rules. If you suspect a thread of being off topic, go ahead and report one of the posts in the thread, making a note that you think the thread could use a nudge.

On thread necromancy. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5461942#post5461942)

Kurald Galain
2011-03-11, 04:45 AM
I think that is what most annoys me. People ask about 4E and the 3.5 people come in and try and convert.

What, you mean you don't go around knocking on people's doors on sunday morning telling them to play your favorite RPG system? :smalltongue:

Suedars
2011-03-11, 05:03 AM
RPG.net's D&D forum.

RPG.net is definitely the place to go for 4e discussion. It's active, has a higher quality of discourse than the WotC boards, and is very 4e friendly.

Its moderation and ruleset is much looser than GitP's, which is something to be aware of (which might be a draw for some folks but a turn-off for others).

Kiero
2011-03-11, 06:06 AM
I wasn't trying to say I agree or disagree with the policy either way. I don't write the rules, I was just pointing out that you have to really work at it to find a thread to necro since the standard forum view doesn't even take you back far enough.

Was also trying to point out that the forum rules for necromancy wouldn't really apply to anything recent that you may bump for additional exposure. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be bumping something more than 6 weeks old just on the hope of getting additional responses. The necromancy rules are extremely unlikely to apply unless you deliberately leave the thread alone for that long then bump it.

I've got threads where I've been making conversions/adaptations to other systems, which I might come back later to add more to what I've already done. That's not "bumping", that's an update, having more to say on exactly the same topic.

RPG.net is definitely the place to go for 4e discussion. It's active, has a higher quality of discourse than the WotC boards, and is very 4e friendly.

Its moderation and ruleset is much looser than GitP's, which is something to be aware of (which might be a draw for some folks but a turn-off for others).

There are times when I wonder why I bother with GitP at all; RPGnet has a lot more people posting on a much wider range of topics (with all D&D discussion in a subforum of its own), and doesn't have a ridiculous moderation policy on "necro'd" threads. The most you get there if something is genuinely old (ie over a year, not merely six weeks) is that it'll get an additional tag added to it by the mods.

EDIT: In fact I know why I bother; you have a functioning search. Which means when I cross-post threads, I can find them easily here, where I can't on RPGnet (when the Google search fails).

Darth Stabber
2011-03-11, 10:56 AM
What, you mean you don't go around knocking on people's doors on sunday morning telling them to play your favorite RPG system? :smalltongue:

That's what I do most weekends.

RPGnet, ENworld, and WotC are the best 4e forums (IMHO). Honestly GitP has become one of the unofficial homes of 3.5 talk, everything else is a distant secondary/tertiary, this goes double for homebrew. Penny Arcade's forum isn't terrible if I remember. RPGnet and WotC are both great forums with high levels of activity, its just a matter of choosing the moderation style you prefer. I don't much care for ENworld, but I will admit it is a good forum. As previously noted, webcomics relating to the thing you want to discuss are actually usually good forums (provided the webcomic has a decent following).

Thane of Fife
2011-03-11, 12:49 PM
I've got threads where I've been making conversions/adaptations to other systems, which I might come back later to add more to what I've already done. That's not "bumping", that's an update, having more to say on exactly the same topic.

If you post it in the Homebrew section, then you're allowed to Necro it freely (as long as it's your own thread).

Of course, less people probably see it there, but....

Warlawk
2011-03-11, 06:00 PM

Seems to me there's already an allowance for that.

The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the six-week threshold without prior Moderator approval.

Not really sure why you're raging against the machine here since the necro rules don't seem to actually have any impact on anything resembling a reasonable posting style.

Kiero
2011-03-12, 08:23 AM
Seems to me there's already an allowance for that.

Not really sure why you're raging against the machine here since the necro rules don't seem to actually have any impact on anything resembling a reasonable posting style.

Consider me underwhelmed that I am graced with the ability to update my own thread, without fear of it being locked, in a forum no one even visits.

Roland St. Jude
2011-03-12, 07:58 PM
Sheriff: Yes, of course, there are other forums out there and we encourage you to frequent them instead of or in addition to this one as you see fit. This topic isn't really a Board Issue about this board. As AverageJoe noted, we're aware of the characteristics and break down of threads in Roleplaying Games by game/edition/etc., and we'll make adjustments to the forum structure as administrative judgment, time, and resources dictate.