PDA

View Full Version : How would dragons coexist? (3.5)

Adamaro
2011-03-10, 09:29 AM
Let's say that due to a certain cataclysm a bunch of adult dragons arrived upon a land size of France. Let's say we have 2 adult dragons of each core type - two Black, Blue, Green, Red, White, Brass, Bronze, Copper, Gold, and two Silver dragons who must now decide how to proceed on this new area, which is in main part desolate (climate of North Africa wit a few oasis and some small ports with mainly human and to an extent monstr-ish population).
Do you think that chromatic dragons would try to blindly kill all others (and each other?). Dragons have a reasonable INT and WIS, so I am sure that some good dragons would try to form up a good alliance, maybe creating their own kingdoms ...

How do you think that mentioned 20 dragons would get along on this new land?

Sdonourg
2011-03-10, 09:33 AM
They will rule in turns, like they did in Dragonstar setting.:smallyuk:

rakkoon
2011-03-10, 09:35 AM
Many of us would die in that war. And the next, and the next. We do not believe the Evil dragons will let the Good ones exist.

libermortis
2011-03-10, 09:58 AM
acording to draconomicon they will need a area double frances size, but it also sais that somtimes dragons live with thair mates.
but chromatic and metalic dragons dont mix, my guess is that they will start a war.

Gnoman
2011-03-10, 10:09 AM
All dragon species have a specific racial hatred against one or more of the other set. Pushing them into such close contect would ensure that the fighting would only stop when none of these "hate-sets" remained.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-10, 10:17 AM
I think the good dragons would make alliances with the humans and the evil ones would try to rule. A bit like in transformers.

Cyrion
2011-03-10, 11:26 AM
As you said, dragons are smart enough not to start aa war of attrition that they're not fairly certain they would win, so I don't think it would be an immediate all-out war.

If there's enough food available, each pair would probably try to take over an oasis area and begin to plot from there. They'd probably think long-term enough to reproduce and make alliances. I'd probably have them at least start their war by proxy- sending their allied humans against other dragons' allied humans and hoping to kill or weaken the other dragons enough to either avoid a direct confrontation all together or make the outcome relatively assured.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-10, 11:31 AM
They all kill each other, and the sole surviving dragon has the voice of Sean Connery.

MarkusWolfe
2011-03-10, 11:41 AM
Chromatics and metallics definitely battle it out. Metallics do not fight each other. Chromatics may fight each other. Generally, each dragon settles into an area matching the environment listed in its entry and doesn't wander from it.

gbprime
2011-03-10, 12:45 PM
Chromatics and metallics definitely battle it out. Metallics do not fight each other. Chromatics may fight each other. Generally, each dragon settles into an area matching the environment listed in its entry and doesn't wander from it.

Right. Metallics have a more reliable alliance with each other, which keeps the ferocity of the chromatics in check. Any dragon isn't going to launch an assault it doesn't think it can win, and worrying about being stabbed in the back by allies is a factor.

I think it's more likely they'd spread out after a few territorial spats. Spreading out gives them more of a buffer against others of their kind and/or more terrified humanoids to raid or rule.

Tiki Snakes
2011-03-10, 12:48 PM
Dragons would co-exist like enormous flying (fire)breathing Cats.

Because they basically are. And metallic/chromatic/alignment are really minor factors in comparison.

So, trying ludicrously hard to pretend to avoid each other, interspersed with ultra-violent (but essentially non-lethal) clashes and so on, before eventually if possible they all wander off their seperate ways to get on with their own much more important errands. *sniff*

CN the Logos
2011-03-10, 12:59 PM
They all battle to the death, Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny Style, because predators as massive and quick as D&D dragons are going to have absolutely enormous food requirements and ten species filling that one ecological niche are just not going to be able to coexist, alignments as written in the MM be damned.

Also, since they're all casters as well, we're likely to end up enslaved if the winners have a decent spell list. Whether they bother with an excuse like "it's for your own good" depends on alignment.

Xefas
2011-03-10, 01:01 PM
They all interbreed into a race of metallic rainbow dragons who then proceed to patrol the world, teaching folks the true meaning of friendship.

Zaydos
2011-03-10, 01:03 PM
The metallic dragons while they wouldn't in-fight would be unlikely to create a united offensive front. The blue dragons would likely manipulate the white dragons into helping them kill off brass dragons and then go to the most desert-esque portion and lair there (undesirable to all the other dragons). If the white dragons lived the blue dragons would finish them off. This would leave both sides without their weakest members.

Unless another breed of chromatic dragon began infighting against the reds, which only whites are likely to do and their ability to press a fight against a red can be discounted, reds and silvers would end of fighting each other. Red dragons have a noticeable advantage in Str while silvers have about +4 to all mental ability scores compared to reds. Even so I'd give it to the reds (who also have a stronger damaging breath weapon) unless the silvers got lucky and had the reds fail their fort save versus paralysis round 1 (which would give the silvers victory). If the silvers got lucky then the battles would continue being scattered or possibly even dying out with each dragon finding its most suitable terrain type and without remaining overlap.

If the silvers died that would propel the reds into arrogance and over confidence and put them against the physically and mentally superior golds, who would ally with the warriors of the metallic dragons (the bronze) and lay the beat down hard on the reds. Now rallied to actual concern, the LG dragons would repeat the process on the other chromatic species.

Brass aren't as close to gold either in actions or power, and blue aren't liable to lord their victory about, so the first is less likely to cause an upset in the golds.

So best case for evil dragons: blues kill brass and whites. Silvers kill reds. Everyone settles down for a generation.

Worst case for evil dragons: blues kill brass alone. Red dragon recruits whites and kills silvers. Gold and bronze exterminate the chromatic dragons one pair at a time.

Soren Hero
2011-03-10, 01:36 PM
They all kill each other, and the sole surviving dragon has the voice of Sean Connery.

i see what you did there

Dr.Epic
2011-03-10, 01:39 PM
i see what you did there

Just start running if Jeremy Irons shows up (see, there's two awful fantasy movies he's in with dragons).

Mr.Smashy
2011-03-10, 01:40 PM
The metallic dragons while they wouldn't in-fight would be unlikely to create a united offensive front. The blue dragons would likely manipulate the white dragons into helping them kill off brass dragons and then go to the most desert-esque portion and lair there (undesirable to all the other dragons). If the white dragons lived the blue dragons would finish them off. This would leave both sides without their weakest members.

Unless another breed of chromatic dragon began infighting against the reds, which only whites are likely to do and their ability to press a fight against a red can be discounted, reds and silvers would end of fighting each other. Red dragons have a noticeable advantage in Str while silvers have about +4 to all mental ability scores compared to reds. Even so I'd give it to the reds (who also have a stronger damaging breath weapon) unless the silvers got lucky and had the reds fail their fort save versus paralysis round 1 (which would give the silvers victory). If the silvers got lucky then the battles would continue being scattered or possibly even dying out with each dragon finding its most suitable terrain type and without remaining overlap.

If the silvers died that would propel the reds into arrogance and over confidence and put them against the physically and mentally superior golds, who would ally with the warriors of the metallic dragons (the bronze) and lay the beat down hard on the reds. Now rallied to actual concern, the LG dragons would repeat the process on the other chromatic species.

Brass aren't as close to gold either in actions or power, and blue aren't liable to lord their victory about, so the first is less likely to cause an upset in the golds.

So best case for evil dragons: blues kill brass and whites. Silvers kill reds. Everyone settles down for a generation.

Worst case for evil dragons: blues kill brass alone. Red dragon recruits whites and kills silvers. Gold and bronze exterminate the chromatic dragons one pair at a time.

Zaydos. You really did think this out thoroughly. Kudos and Cookies man.:smallsmile:

Zaydos
2011-03-10, 01:44 PM
Zaydos. You really did think this out thoroughly. Kudos and Cookies man.:smallsmile:

What can I say, dragons are my past-time :smallbiggrin:
*noms cookie* THE BLUE DRAGON IS PLEASED.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-10, 01:50 PM
Dragons would co-exist like enormous flying (fire)breathing Cats.

Because they basically are. And metallic/chromatic/alignment are really minor factors in comparison.

So, trying ludicrously hard to pretend to avoid each other, interspersed with ultra-violent (but essentially non-lethal) clashes and so on, before eventually if possible they all wander off their seperate ways to get on with their own much more important errands. *sniff*

Think I'd have to agree with this one. Dragons are just cats.