PDA

View Full Version : Things to do While Charging

Elric VIII
2011-03-10, 01:20 PM
Assuming a character has access to pounce and TWF, what are some feats that allow you to do interesting/different things during a charge?

I'm looking for things like Hurling Charge, not just ways to increase damage like Leap Attack, Battle Jump, and Shock Trooper.

dextercorvia
2011-03-10, 01:57 PM
Anvil of Thunder, from CWar, might be fun. Daze is good.

It requires Power Attack and Improved Sunder, which you want if you are charging; Two-Weapon fighting, which you said you wanted; and Weapon Focus on two different weapons (an axe and a hammer).

Doc Roc
2011-03-10, 02:16 PM
Hurling charge+Boomerang Daze+Boomerang Ricochet?

Keld Denar
2011-03-10, 02:25 PM
Dreadful Wrath. Might as well scary the crap out of them, as long as you are gonna kill em.

Neraph Charge is pretty neat too, assuming you rely on SA as your source of bonus damage from TWF.

Elric VIII
2011-03-10, 02:37 PM
Hurling charge+Boomerang Daze+Boomerang Ricochet?

This is cool. If I fit some Scout into the build, would the ricochet also have the skirmish? It specifically mentions SA, and I would assume SS would also not happen, but skirmish does not require the target to be flat-footed.

Are Talenta Halflings (they treat boomerang as a martial weapon) a special variety, or can any variant of halfling be from talenta?

Doc Roc
2011-03-10, 02:57 PM
Actually, you just need to be from Talenta. You can technically thus be a human.

Elric VIII
2011-03-10, 03:23 PM
Actually, you just need to be from Talenta. You can technically thus be a human.

Oh, that's even better. Thanks.

Allanimal
2011-03-10, 05:47 PM
You could be a drunken master.
They don't have to move in a straight line to charge. That's always fun.

Elric VIII
2011-03-10, 06:15 PM
You could be a drunken master.
They don't have to move in a straight line to charge. That's always fun.

That's cool, but I was thinking about a charge-based Warblade/Mo9, So I have access to Bounding Assault and Salamader Charge.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-10, 07:08 PM
Use complete scoundrel.
Twisted/tumbling charge skill tricks.
Now you can make a 90 degree turn in the middle of your charge, though the end point still has to be visible from the start of your charge.
And you can tumble across difficult terrain.

Lyndworm
2011-03-10, 07:20 PM
Yes, but you can only use each skill trick 1/encounter.

It's astounding how many people forget/miss this.

FMArthur
2011-03-10, 08:13 PM
Dread Pirate has the ability to charge over and around any number of obstacles that would normally be traversed with a skill check and through allies and difficult terrain as well.

ffone
2011-03-10, 09:49 PM
Swashbuckler has a difficult-terrain-charging ability at 7th or 8th (most people only consider the class desirable with rogue and the daring outlaw feat to stack sneak attack, but since you said TWF + charge I figured you might be a sneak attacker).

MeeposFire
2011-03-11, 12:55 AM
I think there are some shield feats that work well with charging. Would require you to pick up shield bashing feats.

Elric VIII
2011-03-11, 02:21 AM
So, I'm looking at Boomerang Daze and I can't help but wonder, is this feat just insane? Something like Skirmish, SA+Craven, or Bloodstorm Blade could make the DC "roll 20 or fail."

Am I missing something or is it just that good?

ffone
2011-03-11, 04:54 AM
It's that good. It seems to be the basis of many builds, sometimes in conjunction with the Aptitude weapon property to apply the feat to your actual favorite weapon.

Damage-based DCs are indeed quite scary. A less crazy but still good one for rogues is Staggering Strike (sneak attacks can stagger for 1 round with a damage based Fort DC). Less powerful b/c daze >> stagger, it's sneak attacks only, and IIRC DC = damage rather than BoomDaze's 10 + damage (but either way it's 20 or nothing most of the time by midlevels).