PDA

View Full Version : I need Homebrew Advice

TechnOkami
2011-03-10, 02:38 PM
So, I'm trying to make a class based off of Plague Doctors, using plague as their main ability. The class would obviously make disease effects more viable, making diseases incubate faster/instantaneously, increasing the fortitude saves, disease immunity, etc. etc.

What I need advice in is I don't know how big I should make this class (entire base class or PrC). On one hand, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the eye of lolth with disease and not lolth as its focus, progressing both rogueish stuff and cleric stuff. Then again, the plague doctor sounds unique enough that it could be its own base class... but I'm really not sure.

...opinions?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-10, 03:21 PM
So, I'm trying to make a class based off of Plague Doctors, using plague as their main ability. The class would obviously make disease effects more viable, making diseases incubate faster/instantaneously, increasing the fortitude saves, disease immunity, etc. etc.

What I need advice in is I don't know how big I should make this class (entire base class or PrC). On one hand, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the eye of lolth with disease and not lolth as its focus, progressing both rogueish stuff and cleric stuff. Then again, the plague doctor sounds unique enough that it could be its own base class... but I'm really not sure.

...opinions?

This sounds specific enough that I'd expect to see it as a Prestige Class, likely based off a necromancy magic base (or something similar). Likely divine, possibly arcane, or possibly both.

Alternatively, you could cut the casting requirement completely and aim for something with less restrictive entry requirements, depending on your idea. As for the length, either 5 or 10 levels seems good, based on whether or not its got a small number of abilities (5 levels) or a wider range of techniques you can use (10 levels). I'd avoid a 10 level class built around just 1-2 disease abilities, however.

Either way, it sounds a little to much of a one-trick-pony for me to really feel comfortable with it as a base class. Just my own personal opinion.

TechnOkami
2011-03-10, 04:18 PM
This sounds specific enough that I'd expect to see it as a Prestige Class, likely based off a necromancy magic base (or something similar). Likely divine, possibly arcane, or possibly both.

Alternatively, you could cut the casting requirement completely and aim for something with less restrictive entry requirements, depending on your idea. As for the length, either 5 or 10 levels seems good, based on whether or not its got a small number of abilities (5 levels) or a wider range of techniques you can use (10 levels). I'd avoid a 10 level class built around just 1-2 disease abilities, however.

Either way, it sounds a little to much of a one-trick-pony for me to really feel comfortable with it as a base class. Just my own personal opinion.

Yeah, a prestige class makes sense... love your name btw.