PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights Suggestions?

Maeglin_Dubh
2011-03-10, 02:42 PM
Looking for suggestions for persistent worlds, multiplayer campaigns, or singleplayer campaigns for NWN1. I have both, but NWN2 is really laggy on my system, and I like a lot of the aesthetics of NWN1 better. At least with the CEP pack installed.

(Sidenote: CEP compatability is a definite plus, but not a requirement.)

Admiral Harkov
2011-03-11, 06:55 AM
I don't know many, but here goes some thoughts on the ones I know:

- Cormyr and the Dalelands (http://www.createforum.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=cormyrdalelands) has a healthy player base, you will find it well populated at any hour. As with all I know population is mostly american and specially DM team, so most announced quests happen in late evening as best for europeans. It's the current server I play (not much, because I'm getting tired of NWN). Have not had the pleasure to enjoy many DMs yet, so I don't know, it seems you can have a good expectation, from the three I could experience two were good and one disappointing in that he is too combat heavy for my taste, but for what he does it's well done. Custom haks, no CEP and no PRC. Doesn't accept minors though it doesn't accept "mature" RP (erotic, torture).

- Deepingdale (http://deepingdale.proboards67.com/index.cgi): An awesome build with some great DMs. Sadly it's been losing players from a time ago and in euro times there's rarely more than one or two logged in. Don't know about american times, but it seems then it has some players around. Doesn't accept minors either, though this accepts "mature" RP (erotic, torture), more to avoid headaches policying it than actually wanting it to happen (and afaik doesn't happen any more than at any server against it). Uses PRC and I think it stopped using CEP.

- Arelith: No extra content. Lots of players.Uses scripts for hunger and wheather. I didn't stay long because I just didn't get the feeling I'd enjoy it. No idea about DMs and quality of events.

- Amia: Seems either this is a break off server from Arelith or Arelith from Amia, same location, same areas for Cordor. Doesn't seem to have hunger or wheather things implemented, but this I just checked once and haven't logged again. So no idea about DMs either.

- Gallows Bird: It was a server with awesome scripting and no custom haks but too small playerbase in my european times, I think also kind of small in american. If it's still active and with players during your play time it can be worth checking out.

- Myth Drannor: Had some great DMs, but most of the admin team was bad. Lots of problems and issues, highlight for favoritism and OOC impositions disguised as IC reasons or events. It seems it's dead, and it deserves it, specially considering the best DMs had already left (some still remained, though). I mention it because it had some great times and I enjoyed it a lot in various phases in which it was a great and a no doubt best server to play.

Tengu_temp
2011-03-11, 10:45 AM
The best single player campaigns for NWN I played are Penultima and Penultima Rerolled. They're made by Stefan Gagne of Sailor Nothing fame, and the quality really shows in the writing. These campaigns are mostly comedic, but they have quite a bit of moving and thought-provoking moments too. Penultima Rerolled is better than Penultima, but you should play both to appreciate them most or else some story elements and jokes will get over your head.

Admiral Harkov
2011-03-11, 12:57 PM
And that reminds me the original question included campaigns: For NWN1 A Dance with Rogues is really good, it's a two module campaign. It's an adult campaign with plenty of moments where cybersex is an option (though as far as I know 97% of it is avoidable, though one of the unavoidable is right an start and is without consent). It's worth not letting oneself be put down by that, because everything else is well worth.