PDA

View Full Version : I want to ride a dragon!

Dr.Epic
2011-03-10, 03:08 PM
[what the title says] What's the best build to do this? Any source book (say which ones in posts) from 3.5.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-10, 03:11 PM
There's a class just for you. And it's called... wait for it...

...Dragon Rider.

Draconomicon page 124. Cheers.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-10, 03:12 PM
There's a class just for you. And it's called... wait for it...

...Dragon Rider.

Draconomicon page 124. Cheers.

Well with a name like that how am I supposed to know they ride dragons?

Daftendirekt
2011-03-10, 03:16 PM
It's true, it requires a lot of refluffing. But the mechanics of the class are PRETTY close to what you're looking for.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-10, 03:17 PM
It's true, it requires a lot of refluffing. But the mechanics of the class are PRETTY close to what you're looking for.

Now to find a way to combine it with Halfling Outrider...

Zaydos
2011-03-10, 03:26 PM
Get the Dragon Cohort feat, gives you a dragon as a cohort with its ECL reduced by 3 (so you get a cohort whose ECL is your character level +1 and it's still worse than the leadership feat).

I'm not sure I'd actually suggest Dragonrider. While granting your cohort a bonus feat, and the +5 on ride checks might be good, it might be regulated to just a dip for the improvement to their maneuverability (coupled with having your cohort take Improved Flight as a feat to get +2 maneuverability).

Do you want a true dragon or wyvern? I'm trying to remember when the lowest ECL dragon reaches large and I keep thinking it's red or gold at 15 and 16 respectively so even with Dragon Cohort you'd need to be 14th or 15th level to gain one as a cohort. So you might want to be a small race just so you can ride a medium mount which would add wyrmlings which are available 4 levels earlier.

Also a paladin of at least 16th level can call a gold dragon as a special mount if medium and 12th if small, so a paladin/cavalier could get one that way as could a paladin/anything that advanced special mount.

FMArthur
2011-03-10, 04:33 PM
A Paladin can also just give up his regular horse mount for a Drakkensteed Mount as of Dragon Magic, which is basically a horse that looks like a dragon and flies. That's the very easiest way to do it and probably the least rewarding, since its flight has such poor maneuvrability. It is a little hard to imagine a world where a man will magically summon an ordinary horse instead of a dragon when they require precisely the same investment, though. At least the feat represents something extra you had to do to get it...