PDA

View Full Version : RPG Humor: You know you're a gamer when...

Tetsubo 57
2011-03-10, 03:56 PM
I work in a factory. My daily schedule is dictated by the timing of a machine cycle. Depending on the job, every 60 to 120 seconds I have new parts arriving. It's just the nature of being a press operator. But in my head, I don't think 'machine cycle'. In my head, I am thinking 'round'. I actually find myself having an internal dialogue about what I need to do, 'next round'. I am a gamer, to the bone.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-10, 04:03 PM
This is kind of D&d specific, but insert whatever autofail condition exists in your PnPRPG
When you see someone really flub up on something you instinctivlly think "Ooh, rolled Natural 1 there."
Oh, and if you know what a PnPRPG is.:smallbiggrin:

Uhtred
2011-03-10, 04:04 PM
If I space out and miss something someone says, I'll tell them I failed my Listen check, but that I'll take a 10 this time if they'd repeat themselves. My group of friends will take everyday actions and refer to them as checks as well, like "Craft (Smoothie) Checks," or "Profession (Target Employee) Checks" or "Perform (Guitar Hero) Checks." Succeeding or failing is compared to various dice rolls.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-03-10, 04:07 PM
When you see something cool and think "I need to stat that for my players". I still need to finish those Ursa Major and Minor stats...

Morbis Meh
2011-03-10, 04:23 PM
When in my quantum mechanics course we reached a step where we received a answer that could have been positive or negative. Our prof told us to ignore the negative answer because it would mean that the electron wave would be sucking out energy that it didn't have.... my thoughts: the origin of necromancy!

Zaydos
2011-03-10, 04:36 PM
When learning about prehistoric plants makes you stat out prehistoric druid dragons.

Re'ozul
2011-03-10, 04:37 PM
While not connected to D&D, i played way too much Minecraft a while back.
When I then was at my parents place to help them trim the hedge at the street. there were splotches of dark dirt on the asphalt in one single place.
My first thought was "Oh some coal to mine", which left me shaking my head at myself for several minutes.

Bagel
2011-03-10, 04:46 PM
wife walks into the corner of a wall

"failed that spot check huh?"

she giggled.

Yora
2011-03-10, 04:48 PM
Anyone else here who can spell prestidigitation without looking it up? :smallbiggrin:

I was playing Stalker this january and when I left home in the evening to get groceries, I wondered how I get my helmet flashlight on without an L key under my left hand. :smallconfused:

akragster
2011-03-10, 05:27 PM
Anyone else here who can spell prestidigitation without looking it up? :smallbiggrin: I can. :smallamused:

Oh, and today my locker was jammed so I took 20 on it...

AND IT WORKED.

Callista
2011-03-10, 05:36 PM
You keep trying to stat out real-life people...

I am positive one of my friends has 18 in Dexterity, for example. Dude rides a unicycle. For fun. (Though, why else you would ride a unicycle if it weren't for fun is beyond me...)

Ozreth
2011-03-10, 05:45 PM
When in my quantum mechanics course.

Fixed that for you.

For me it's whenever I see a grid of some sort at work or whenever I look at the nice, long, low wooden table surrounded by big comfy chairs in the middle of the store.

TheCountAlucard
2011-03-10, 07:45 PM
When you start "rating" places around town by how defensible they are against zombie attacks. :smalltongue:

Odin the Ignoble
2011-03-10, 07:55 PM
When you start "rating" places around town by how defensible they are against zombie attacks. :smalltongue:

What he said.

Also when you start using HERO System Rules to explain real life.

randomhero00
2011-03-10, 07:56 PM
You know you're a gamer when...you post topics like this :D

You know you're a gamer when...you have way more dice than anyone would need (or more computing power).

You know you're a gamer when...you've played 8+ plus and played into the morning.

Callista
2011-03-10, 09:20 PM
...when you are the master of dice stacking

...when you have a mental catalog of all your friends' dice superstitions

Volos
2011-03-10, 09:46 PM
Anyone else here who can spell prestidigitation without looking it up? :smallbiggrin:

That is something I found out I can do the other day on accident. I was texting one of my players about something and I told him to pretend I casted prestidigitation on his coffee. Don't ask.

But I find myself refering to clumsy actions as 'failed reflex saves'. When I'm upset or excited but I avoid acting rashly, it's 'making my will save'. And when I get sick or really drunk, it's 'failed a fort save'.

I also was able to describe the entire FFVII: Advent Children movie in the terms of D&D actions. On a second pass I was able to insta-stat out any of the characters presented. Guessing ability scores, feats, classes, and other random stuff while the movie ran. Eventually my friends just turned down the movie to hear my D&D commentary, as I was more entertaining that a film we've seen hundreds of times. :smallbiggrin:

navar100
2011-03-10, 10:34 PM
My work building has 18 floors. When I ride the elevator and look at the floor buttons, I think about the modifiers.

At my previous job we had to initial various documents. A coworker's initials are DC ...

A Long Island radio station has the call letters WBAB ...

AtomicKitKat
2011-03-11, 01:28 AM
This is kind of D&d specific, but insert whatever autofail condition exists in your PnPRPG
When you see someone really flub up on something you instinctivlly think "Ooh, rolled Natural 1 there."
Oh, and if you know what a PnPRPG is.:smallbiggrin:

My mum thinks we're nuts when we say it, but my brother and I usually look at each other and say "Heh, looks like he rolled a 1 there." whenever someone fails to accomplish something on TV. Or "I think he needed to put more points into Skill X.".

Silus
2011-03-11, 02:42 AM

*Laughs* I do that, along with judging what is a good anti-zombie weapon and what is not.

I tend to go with the "Nat 20/nat 1" stuff in conversations. Also, if I'm being particularly charming and/or charismatic, I'll motion to myself, smile at the person, and say "...Bard".

Rixx
2011-03-11, 02:47 AM
When you see something cool and think "I need to stat that for my players". I still need to finish those Ursa Major and Minor stats...

*secret brohoof*

BobVosh
2011-03-11, 03:15 AM

Why would anyone take spell mastery for prestidigitation?

Also you know you're a gamer when you consider the above a joke. (albeit a bad one)

Eldan
2011-03-11, 04:32 AM
A simple check:

What does the abbreviation "PC" mean?

If you think "Player character" before "Personal computer", you are a gamer.

AtomicKitKat
2011-03-11, 04:44 AM

Also you know you're a gamer when you consider the above a joke. (albeit a bad one)

Nah, we got it as a bonus feat. And it's not bad, as jokes go.

Silus
2011-03-11, 04:47 AM
*secret brohoof*

*Secretly adds points to Perform (Winter Wrap Up)*

MammonAzrael
2011-03-11, 05:06 AM

Because prestidigitation is awesome and no wizard should ever have to suffer without it. :smallamused:

You know you're a gamer if you know more about the biology of red dragons than you do of your pet cat.

Also this (http://www.duke.edu/web/DRAGO/humor/gamer_if.html).

Traveler
2011-03-11, 09:27 AM
...you look at a task and you mentally figure out what ability score to use.
...the moment you are exposed to a movie or book you start adjusting it to fit into your game.
...you curse in character when out of game. (Bloody Balor, Son of a Bard, By the Nine, etc)

LordBlades
2011-03-11, 09:52 AM
This one's Gothic related:

In my native language 'hours' is spelled 'ore'. One day after quite a long time of playing Gothic I was driving past a gas station and upon seeing the 'open 24 hours' sign, my first thought was something like '24 ore? you can't buy jack **** with 24 ore'

Cyrion
2011-03-11, 10:09 AM
...your wedding ring has magic powers.

...in a tiled hallway you check the gridlines to make sure you're not subject to an attack of opportunity when you walk past someone.

Roderick_BR
2011-03-11, 11:09 AM
My old gaming group talked in game terms so much, that a guy that played with us once, that actually worked with some RPG magazines, said we were playing too much D&D...

valadil
2011-03-11, 11:55 AM
When you assign party roles and classes to groups of people in TV shows.

Sanguine
2011-03-11, 12:06 PM
When you assign party roles and classes to groups of people in TV shows.

...When you do the above after debating with yourself which system best represents the group.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-11, 12:13 PM

This is bad? I thought everyone did this. The list of friends in order of first to last to be eaten when the food runs out is the sign.

Shyftir
2011-03-11, 12:20 PM
Stop preparing for zombies. Normal people anarchy is way more likely and frighteningly close these days.

On topic:

You sigh when your friends make unoptimized character choices.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-11, 12:23 PM
Stop preparing for zombies. Normal people anarchy is way more likely and frighteningly close these days.

Zombies, crazed humans, same same. Have plenty of ammo and aim for the head.

The list of who to eat first is slightly less important then, though.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-11, 12:37 PM
When you mark out a 5ft square and throw things into it many times to derive your attack bonus.

When your in the military, and you take your list of weapon qualifications and call those your proficiencies. (rifle, pistol, shotgun, baton, stungun)

EccentricCircle
2011-03-11, 01:01 PM
I was once explaining the Multiverse theory of causality to some friends (which thinking about it probably gets geekery points in and of itself)
and used the metaphore of roling a dice, saying that you roll the die and get a result, but there are 19 possible universes in which you got a different result.
the people I was explaining this too all looked perplexed, and then someone asked "why 19 other universes and not five?"

turns out that most people use d6's more than d20's. who'd have thought it?

Tyndmyr
2011-03-11, 01:04 PM
Upon learning tonight that our party will have a third player rolling a rogue, I have designated our party "Rogue Squadron".

Nothing bad can possibly come of this.

HalfDragonCube
2011-03-11, 01:32 PM
When you expect three people passing an object to collapse reality.:smallfrown:

Darth Stabber
2011-03-11, 01:32 PM
Upon learning tonight that our party will have a third player rolling a rogue, I have designated our party "Rogue Squadron".

Nothing bad can possibly come of this.

Hey, I am going to go ahead and say that a party composed entirely of stealthy guys is a win, especially at low levels. Everyone is mobile and your get to pick your fights alot better. Plus with UMD you can cover your magic bases well enough.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-11, 01:33 PM
See, I'd probably agree with that, if I wasn't a paladin.

The painfully visible "paladin", made out of wizard levels. Oh, they beat the hell out of me.

Amphetryon
2011-03-11, 01:48 PM
If you can look at a two bisected 4 square by 2 square rectangles and immediately think "that's a circle," you might be a gamer.

Silverscale
2011-03-11, 02:25 PM
My friends and often use gaming terms in our conversations. We also have had occasion to insult each other in D&D with things like "Wow, you much have a really low Cha score"

On a related note, you might be a Theater Geek if you go out to a movie with your significant other, and you spend your whole time watching the movie thinking "Wow those would be cool props/costumes to make"

randomhero00
2011-03-11, 02:29 PM
But seriously its almost sad, I do this all the time: *trips* "ahh failed my reflex save"
*get sick* "failed my fort save"
*looks toward tv while DM is talking "sorry failed my will save!"

Those are just a few examples.

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-11, 07:23 PM
There is also a very simple check to see if someone plays d&d or not.

What is a 'Drow'?

The answer would be either
a) dark elf / underground elf or
b) WTF :smallamused:

Sir_Ophiuchus
2011-03-11, 07:49 PM
...your wedding ring has magic powers.

Is that a Thomas Covenant reference? *shakes head*

You might be a gamer if you can pass a probability exam without actually studying the material.

...not that I recommend this. Or have done it.

Dimers
2011-03-11, 08:47 PM
A simple check:

I grew up when you'd be a gamer if your second thought was "politically correct", not "personal computer". I also grew up in a place in which Macs were PCs, much like a Pepsi is a Coke.

navar100
2011-03-12, 12:21 AM
A simple check:

Yo!

Even before political correctness!

tordirycgoyust
2011-03-12, 02:13 AM
In Canada we have a political party called (paradoxically, I know) Progressive Conservative. Player Character still wins though.

...in everyday conversation , instead of "paladin" "ninja" "monk", and "fighter", you use the name of the TOB alternative.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-12, 02:36 AM
...you complain to a fellow employee that the manager swordsage'd you.

Lither
2011-03-12, 06:32 AM
When you try and min-max yourself, and are surprised when it doesn't work.

When you can list three ridiculously overpowered character builds off the top of your head.

When you tell people you are making a "Gather Information check", "Diplomacy check", or a "Bluff check" during ordinary converation.

I, sadly, have done all three several times.

Sotharsyl
2011-03-12, 07:16 AM
When you talk to some friends about a new show,and you haven't learned the characters names and you refer to them as the Druid Guy and Ranger Guy and you expect them to know what you're talking about.

When you do a victory dance because you realised that your future degree in DnD would corepound with a Tier 1 class,and then you're bummed out that you didn't max out the right stats at chargen.

When the first compliment you can think up to make a friend feel better is "Don't worry he was surely at least 3 levels higher than you".And when you're flirting you just want to get to the point and say "Your Cha bonus is way bigger than mine".

Tyndmyr
2011-03-12, 07:20 AM
When you can list three ridiculously overpowered character builds off the top of your head.

If knowing only 3 makes you a gamer, what does that make me? Or even worse, doc roc?

Lyndworm
2011-03-12, 07:29 AM
If knowing only 3 makes you a gamer, what does that make me? Or even worse, doc roc?

I can list three that I made off the top of my head. Huh. :smallfrown:

Tyndmyr
2011-03-12, 07:53 AM
Likewise. I could probably talk about broken builds for hours. Doc is likely the diety with a portfolio of gaming and cheese.

Choco
2011-03-12, 10:29 AM
When you accidentally refer to your age as your level.

Yeah, I am guilty of that one.... in my defense though, before the topic changed we were talking about WoW....

Shyftir
2011-03-12, 11:18 AM
I have friends who tell me happy ding day.

You have a party celebrating reaching max level... that consists of everybody running you through instances until your gear is decent.

You've participated in 3 separate D&D campaigns in one week... with completely separate groups.

The words "edition wars" are followed by "many deaths" and a shudder.

You paraphrase movie quotes into RPG jokes... even when the movies aren't fantasy or sci-fi.

You've driven a friend/dm crazy by re-enacting the rhyming scene from the Princess Bride at the game table... multiple times, plus more rhymes!

BIGMamaSloth
2011-03-12, 11:45 AM
*Secretly adds points to Perform (Winter Wrap Up)*

*Secretly gives the two of you tickets to the galloping gala.*

Lord.Sorasen
2011-03-12, 11:59 AM
You hear "_____ falls" and immediately follow it up with "everyone dies".

When you accuse real situations as railroading.

When you call 20 sided dice "d20." (Is this a standard term? Go to a non-gamer and try it out; found out the hard way in a stats class)

That's all I got. I used to have more I thought but they are now gone :[

Darth Stabber
2011-03-12, 06:14 PM
You hear "_____ falls" and immediately follow it up with "everyone dies".
"In soviet russia paladin falls, rocks die"
Combining D&D with Yakov Smirnov, punishable by death in some states.

Doughnut Master
2011-03-12, 06:26 PM
In asking how long til dinner you use the phrase,

"Red warrior needs food badly."

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-14, 03:38 PM
When you call 20 sided dice "d20." (Is this a standard term? Go to a non-gamer and try it out; found out the hard way in a stats class)[

My maths teacher used that term once... and I was the only one to get the reference (so I chuckled while the rest was like: WTF d20?) :smallwink:
I still have to arrest him on the suspicion of roleplaying!

Also, you are a gamer if...

- you draw dungeon maps instead of doodles on your school table

- you have all kinds of RPG related programs on your TI calc (homebrewed in class of course)

- you have given your RL self stats :smallbiggrin:

- you have to use the term RL to avoid confusion