PDA

View Full Version : DnD 3.5 Capturing Souls

taffdan
2011-03-10, 05:31 PM
Im currently a player in a 3.5 planescape game where the party are various evil creatures/classes and at least 2 of the party are keen to explore the options of capturing and trading in and using souls (to power item creation, as vile spell components etc). The characters have just hit level 12

Can anyone recommend what books and areas to check out. Ive been trawling through my dusty old books but need some help.

Shadow Demons who are as I understand meant to be deep in the soul trade can cast Magic Jar, yet it seems to kill the victim rather than trap the soul.

Ive also found Soul Shackles (from Book of Vile Darkness) and Soul Trap (although too high a cast at present) but am looking for some more info and other alternatives, as Soul Trap's material ingredient is 1000g worth of gem per level stored, yet BoVD lists a soulshard as worth 200g.

thanks

123456789blaaa
2011-05-05, 11:53 PM
there is an altar in the bovd that captures the soul of anywone sacrificed on it. usefull for getting the most of your sacrifices. :smallbiggrin:

(for maximum usefullness extract as much liquid pain from them as possible before sacrificing them.)

Zaq
2011-05-06, 01:57 AM
Thinuan is a special material from, if memory serves, Complete Warrior. Anyone who's killed with a thinuan weapon has their soul trapped inside it. Quite nasty.

kestrel404
2011-05-06, 10:09 AM
Thinuan is a special material from, if memory serves, Complete Warrior. Anyone who's killed with a thinuan weapon has their soul trapped inside it. Quite nasty.

Yeah, this is probably the cheapest way. Of couse, getting the soul OUT of the weapon afterwards is tricky, as the only thing the text says about that is that if you have the weapon present you can then raise-dead or ressurrect and have it work.

Coidzor
2011-05-06, 10:15 AM
I recall something about an attached gem being used to store the soul so that the weapon can then take another soul.

Person_Man
2011-05-06, 11:42 AM
Necrocarnate PrC has this as a class ability, converting recently dead creatures into essentia (which fades in 24 hours). There are also Incarnum gems or some similar magic items which store essentia. It's very potent if you know what you're doing. The only down side is that it requires learning the convaluted Incarnum rules.

Aharon
2011-05-06, 01:12 PM
Minor RAW-oddity I just noticed:
The Trap the Soul Gem is a material component, so technically, the trapped soul is released right during casting :smalltongue:

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 01:21 PM
Minor RAW-oddity I just noticed:
The Trap the Soul Gem is a material component, so technically, the trapped soul is released right during casting :smalltongue:

By a very strict RAW reading, perhaps, but you could easily interpret that to mean that a single gem can only be used once, since you have to break it to release the soul.

Forged Fury
2011-05-06, 03:04 PM
Necrocarnate PrC has this as a class ability, converting recently dead creatures into essentia (which fades in 24 hours).
The Thief of Life PRC (Faiths of Eberron) also does something similar, although you have to kill an opponent with a sneak attack to get the benefit and it only lasts an hour. Still, I don't recall there being a limit to the amount of essentia you can pick up with this ability since temporary essentia points seem to stack. I think the capstone power (essentially, not aging for a year) is the only one that has a minimum opponent HD requirement to gain it's benefit.

Edit: Sadly, the ability doesn't stack with itself.

WinWin
2011-05-06, 08:26 PM
Larva are found in Hades. The fluff I have read suggests Night Hags have a corner on this market, though they are likely to use other creatures to do their work for them. This was convered in a couple of 2e planescape books.

A Fiend of Corruption from Fiend Folio can harvest from people they make deals with.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-07, 08:31 AM
Gate in Cthulhu.:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-05-08, 05:28 PM
Gate in Cthulhu.:smalltongue:

I believe that eats them.