PDA

View Full Version : Templates for large size

pffh
2011-03-10, 07:55 PM
Right I'm building a goliath hulking hurler (warblade 5/hulking hurler 3/bloodstorm blade 5 and then either more warblade or finish the bloodstorm, if anyone is interested) and am looking for templates that grant large size.

+1 LA is preferable and I already know of the half ogre and half minotaur but they both seem kinda cheesy (but if forced I'm leaning more towards the ogre since it seems a tiny bit less cheesy then the minotaur)

Oh also does powerful build increase the carrying capacity?

Lyndworm
2011-03-10, 09:01 PM
With the exception of the aforementioned Half-Minotaur and Half-Ogre templates, I'm aware of only one PC appropriate size-increasing template. That would be the Tauric template from both MM2 and Savage Species. It does have a rather hefty ECL, though, probably because of it's (potentially) enormous physical stat boost.

Also, Powerful Build does only what it says that it does. It doesn't affect carrying capacity.

Urpriest
2011-03-10, 09:15 PM
Lycanthropy into a large animal will also do it, again with a significant level adjustment.

pffh
2011-03-11, 06:36 AM
Tauric could be useful but I don't see a level adjustment only a +1 original challenge rating (only have monster manual 2 so can't check if savage species has it) also does beast include magical beasts?

But do you know of any large four legged creatures with few racial hd?

I'm looking at camel right now (would fit very well into the area we are in) and that would give me:
+8 strength, +6 dex, +4* con,+1* natural armor, low light vision and scent for the 3 animal hd if I'm correct.

*+6 Con and +2NA if I use the two humped one in sandstorm.

So do I just add a +1LA on top of that or...?

Curmudgeon
2011-03-11, 07:25 AM
Tauric could be useful but I don't see a level adjustment only a +1 original challenge rating (only have monster manual 2 so can't check if savage species has it)
Savage Species has it, on page 133: Level Adjustment: +2 (apply this to the level adjustment of the base humanoid)

Lyndworm
2011-03-11, 09:39 AM
Savage Species has it, on page 133: Level Adjustment: +2 (apply this to the level adjustment of the base humanoid)

The MM2 update to 3.5 puts the LA at +3. As the most recent source, it overwrites anything in Savage Species.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-11, 09:56 AM
The MM2 update to 3.5 puts the LA at +3. As the most recent source, it overwrites anything in Savage Species.
Thanks for the catch. That's some tiny print there, so I should have zoomed in on the "Monster Manual II - 3.5 Update" PDF. :smallredface:

GeekGirl
2011-03-11, 10:10 AM
I dont think there are any large templates with a LA below +2. There are centaurs, Wemics. If you can find the Dragonlance setting books, they have Ogre thats large and only LA +2. Not to many good choices it seems.