PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Changing where a spell emanates from

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 12:48 AM
Is it possible to make a spell that emanates from a point in space to emanate from you?

Doc Roc
2011-03-11, 12:49 AM
I can, but you won't like my solution, I suspect.

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 01:04 AM
As long as it doesn't consist of making me a point in space I'm fine with it.

Doc Roc
2011-03-11, 01:10 AM
As long as it doesn't consist of making me a point in space I'm fine with it.

:: grins shyly :: I see that in a sense, my reputation precedes me. I'll try to search up a more elegant way of doing it, but one of the easiest and funniest is Ring-gates, which can be abused seven-ways to sunday.

Douglas
2011-03-11, 01:13 AM
Ok, I'm curious, what spell is this for and why?

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 01:18 AM
Well I was kind of thinking of taking permanent emanation (maw of chaos) and permanent emanation (antimagic field) and using the archmage's mastery of shaping to provide me with a 5 foot hole in the center, surrounded by a 5 foot sphere of antimagic surrounded by a 10 foot sphere of maw of chaos.

XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXxxxXX
XXxoxXX
XXxxxXX
XXXXXX o is me, x is AMF and X is maw of chaos

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-11, 01:24 AM
Wouldn't that leave the center square filled with Maw of Chaos as well?

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 01:26 AM
That's where mastery of shaping comes in.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-11, 01:27 AM
Oh yeah.

:smallsigh:

Seatbelt
2011-03-11, 01:42 AM
I'm hardly a rules lawyer but wouldn't that prevent you from casting spells through your antimagic sphere layer? If you were a gish this is no problem. But how are you going to deliver magical pain and punishment if you're permanently separated from your targets?

From a role-playing perspective this is also a terrible idea for a PC. How are you supposed to get close to anyone? How can clerics heal you? How are you going to walk through towns or cities with a permanent aura of scary death swirling around you?

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-11, 01:51 AM
AMF does not block Line of Effect. Her spells will wink out when they enter the Antimagic Donut but they will pop right back into effect on the other side of it.

For this reason, she is actually not protected at all from most spells.

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 01:52 AM
Actually no, spells can't penetrate an AMF. If you cast a magic missile at a target on the other side of an AMF she won't be hit.

Doc Roc
2011-03-11, 01:59 AM
Actually no, spells can't penetrate an AMF. If you cast a magic missile at a target on the other side of an AMF she won't be hit.

A common but incorrect belief. It doesn't officially block LoE. Weird but true. The Dispelling Walls (can't remember exact name) block both LoE and LoS.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-11, 02:09 AM
We dealt with this a bit in the Test of Spite. If memory serves, somewhere in either an errata or a FAQ or something there is a pretty long bit on exactly how AMF works. We used that and a close look at the RAW to reach this conclusion, after which point nobody really tried the AMF Donut trick.

Then again that must have been like two years ago, so I might be pretty off on the details.

Doc Roc
2011-03-11, 02:11 AM
We dealt with this a bit in the Test of Spite. If memory serves, somewhere in either an errata or a FAQ or something there is a pretty long bit on exactly how AMF works. We used that and a close look at the RAW to reach this conclusion, after which point nobody really tried the AMF Donut trick.

Then again that must have been like two years ago, so I might be pretty off on the details.

Amazing how long the ToS ran, neh?

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 02:32 AM
Except that doesn't work if you think about it- Spells are supressed while in an AMF, and if they're supressed there's no way for them to come out the other side.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-11, 02:40 AM
See, you're arguing about what makes sense.

This is 3.5. Sense killed itself in horror long ago.

Seriously though, if you are the DM rule as you see fit. If you are not, dredge up the AMF arguments, preset them, and have him/her rule on it.

Doc Roc
2011-03-11, 02:44 AM
Except that doesn't work if you think about it- Spells are supressed while in an AMF, and if they're supressed there's no way for them to come out the other side.

If you would like me to make something similar that does work, with a bit less effort, merely let me know.

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 05:30 AM
So back to the original question- emanation from a point in space, anyone know how to make it from a person?

Innis Cabal
2011-03-11, 05:55 AM
See, you're arguing about what makes sense.

This is 3.5. Sense killed itself in horror long ago.

Seriously though, if you are the DM rule as you see fit. If you are not, dredge up the AMF arguments, preset them, and have him/her rule on it.

Frankly, under that logic nothing that breaths can exist because there's no rules for it, there are only rules for drowning. There's a point where not using common sense needs to end and some logical concessions need to begin.

Goonthegoof
2011-03-11, 06:07 AM
Is it possible to make a spell that emanates from a point in space to emanate from you?

Anyone got an answer?

Aergoth
2011-03-11, 07:32 AM
Deceptive Spell might work. It's a metamagic feat from Cityscape, but I don't think it will work. There's a heavy usage of "appears" in the text. Only bumps things up one level though.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-11, 10:00 AM
Frankly, under that logic nothing that breaths can exist because there's no rules for it, there are only rules for drowning. There's a point where not using common sense needs to end and some logical concessions need to begin.

Wow you really took me down a peg there. Maybe I should stop being so completely serious, all the time.

Anyone got an answer?

Not I, but I'm curious to see what madness Doc Roc can bring to the table.

Thurbane
2011-03-11, 06:22 PM
Deceptive Spell might work. It's a metamagic feat from Cityscape, but I don't think it will work. There's a heavy usage of "appears" in the text. Only bumps things up one level though.
That was my first thought as well, but as you say, it is purely visual deception, and can gain no mechanical advantage to circumventing cover or anything of the like. :smallfrown:

Tyndmyr
2011-03-11, 06:27 PM

I believe cityscape has a feat specifically for this. I'm afraid that you still need LoS and such, though, it's pretty much an appearance thing.

Gah! Swordsages!