View Full Version : Tank healer

Cerlis
2011-03-11, 01:33 AM
So doing a module for level 7 (temple of the yuan ti i believe) with 3 pcs and a DM pc (whooopy) I believe through most of it the Warlock will provide consistent damage (not awesome dmg like a wizard but consistant) and some tactical strategy. THe rogue is definately well made if i know my player right. WIll have maxed skills, every mundane item imaginable. Hes getting a little high on himself thinking he will get off a two weapon fighting sneak attack round but the stars would have to align for that. 3rd player still doesnt know what he wants but i'd hate to make him feel like he has to pick a role, so i decided to see if i could make a tank healer.

I was figuring crusader 1/cleric 6. what few manuvers id get would give in combat healing while i hit stuff and then i'll be able to max hp with a wand (of vigor is it?) afterwards. I'll probably have 1 of each healerbuff spell prepared (break enchantment, neutralize poison ect) in case things go wrong and i run out of scrolls ( i dont want to baby the group enough to waste all my npcs money on "Scrolls of My-Players-Suck") 2 or so scrolls of those same spells. have half my remaining spells for situational tactical spells , and the rest as buffs (i guess divine doesnt have haste but good buffs like those, i hear haste sucks compared to what it used to be but i'm sure the rogue being able to feignt and full attack in the same round will help)

oh and i figured he might pick one or two reserve feats and one or two devotion feats. I suppose there is divine metamagic but i dont want to steal the show and i'd probably have to use most feats on those anyways.

anything i'm missing (i'm aware of the lack of a true caster but dont know if that is a huge mistake or not)? Just thought i'd ask for input

fyi. standard gold (19,000 each i think), one well optimized munchkinesc player, one total noob , one moderate dnd player ( i think hes done many RPGs but little dnd) . when i talk about the rogue munchkin, i mean optimized insofar as within reason, no obscure feats or loop holes. He just has really good luck and knows how to increase his skill checks and attack and damage well.

not campaign specific , anything goes within reason. 3.5

Amphetryon
2011-03-11, 06:44 AM
Query #1: Why would it require "the stars to align right" for your Rogue to get off a TWF sneak attack round at level 7? There are something like 20 ways to get Pounce, a majority of which are available at or around that level of play. Given that, I'm confused as to why the Rogue wouldn't be considered the main damage dealer, outside the Crusader/Cleric (more on that later).

Query #2: Is there a campaign specific reason you've not taken the Crusader/Cleric into Ruby Knight Windicator? It's a logical progression that doesn't cause you any additional source bloat, and improves on his assigned role(s). He could (dare I say, as a DMPC, "should") consider being in a Devoted Spirit stance at all times, making the job of healing happen as a secondary effect of his being the tank.

Query #3: Related to #2, are you sure that the DMPC isn't going to overshadow the other party members? He should consistently be able to out-damage the Warlock and at the very least keep pace with the Rogue's damage output. With your 3rd player being both a newbie and an unknown quantity for class, it would appear to me that your DMPC is the strongest party member. If that's the case, I'd strongly consider making him with more of a 'use scrolls and wands and heal my friends' mentality to avoid making the others feel like they're tagging along while the DM plays Diablo in his own dungeon.

only1doug
2011-03-11, 07:26 AM
As Amp stated you don't want your DMPC to be too powerful for the group.

Consider a Dragonshaman with entangling exhilation feat and fast healing aura.
If the party wants you can AOE damage, CC and heal (to half max).

Bard would also be a good multi-role allowing the newbie to shine as a healer if required.

alternatively generate a selection of characters and allow the party to pick which one travels with them.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-11, 07:46 AM
alternatively generate a selection of characters and allow the party to pick which one travels with them.
2nd that. I have seen gmpcs go horribly wrong (ie overshadow the party), even with good gms. If you give them a stable of friendly characters willing to help, they will pick the one that makes the group more fun. My current group has choices between a gnome illusionist, a half orc bard, and soon a dwarf fighter, and they don't have to bring any of them.