PDA

View Full Version : B.E.R.P.G. (Blank Empty Roleplaying Game)-A customizable RPG ruleset

sankai
2011-03-11, 10:48 AM
B.E.R.P.G.
Blank Empty Role Playing Game

I was brainstorming some RPG ideas the other day, and I came up with the idea of having an RPG that was collaboratively created by the players as it's played. B.E.R.P.G. was the result. I would appreciate critique. It's still in its rough stages right now.

Character Creation-Everyone starts as the Character Class of Adventurer, being a general class. At the beginning of the game, each player receives 10 attribute points and 20 reality points. Attribute points are used to increase a player's score in the Body and Mind Attributes. These can go up to 100. 1-20 gives a plus 1 to all attribute uses, 20-40 gives +2, 40-60 +3, 60-80 +4, 80-100 +5

Reality Points- at the start of the game and upon leveling up, a player can use his or her Reality Points to make alterations to the game, by the following methods:

10 points-make a new core mechanic rule (this includes adding a new type of die, adding in new character attributes, etc.)

5 points-add a new item to the game (this could be a magical item, a weapon or other piece of equipment)

15 points-add a new monster to the game (this is any enemy)

10 points-make a new class

Upon leveling up, the GM duties are given to a new player. The player still keeps track of their experience and levels up normally, but they don't play as a character.

The GM receives 50 reality points upon entering the position. These must be spent while the player is in the GM position, as they disappear when a new GM is chosen.

Leveling up-by defeating enemies and completing quests, a character gains experience. They level up upon gaining 20 experience, unless the game rules change. Upon reaching a new level, they become the next GM and their character gains 5 attribute points, and 20 reality points

The Rulebook-Upon adding new rules, the players are required to keep a rulebook. This can be hand written or typed.

Dice-upon encountering an action that has some degree of failure, roll a d12. 6 or higher is a success, 5 or lower is a failure.

Combat- When entering into combat, a player uses their body attribute as their hit points. Roll the d12 to see who goes first. Play progresses, with a 6 or higher indicating a successful hit on the enemy. If you make a successful hit, roll d12 (or other die if rules have been added) for damage.

Monsters- A list of the monsters is below:

Blank White Cube
Hit Points-10
XP-5
Description: These are the generic foes of this featureless land. More colorful enemies can be added later.

Weapons-A list of weapons is below:

Featureless Stick
Bonus-+0
Description:Your average stick. More epic weapons can be added later.

Dalek-K
2011-03-11, 10:56 AM
I will post later but I wanted to say good luck and I like where this is going.

I had something like this a while back in the planning stages though it ended up being about Norse legends and the characters fighting in Valhalla ... I really need to finish that...

But anyway I like where this is going and I'll put in my 2 cents later :)

Aergoth
2011-03-11, 10:58 AM
So Lords of Creation or a similar system applied as roleplaying. Interesting. There's a great potential for griefing hidden here, but only if you follow RAW the way a Lawful Stupid person plays a paladin.

Dalek-K
2011-03-11, 12:18 PM
The problem I have is that most of the rolls and abilities feel to much like say 4e.

Success or Failure roll 1d12
1-5 = Failure
6-12 = Success

Not much different from rolling a saving throw (4e)
1-9 = Failure
10-20 = Success

Maybe make it a even odd type of gambit where the GM, player, or monster can choose odd or even for the person rolling the die.

Land Outcast
2011-03-11, 01:04 PM
Success or Failure roll 1d12
1-5 = Failure
6-12 = SuccessWell, this is how it starts...

Someone could spend 10 reality point to change it to:
1-5 = Succeed in routine check
6-9 = Succeed in normal check
10-12= Succeed in hard check

Dalek-K
2011-03-11, 01:37 PM
Do you get the ability to counter reality point someone?

Like...

BBEG puts down 5 reality points to change your success needed to 10-12 but you are able to counter with 7 to change it back... If sending reality points is instant I wouldn't see a justifiable rule saying no. Hmmm

Also I found the best way to test a system is to make the rules then try to break the game... Call up a few rule lawyers and power gamers to do it for you :P

Land Outcast
2011-03-11, 02:01 PM
BBEG puts down 5 reality points to change your success needed to...correctly spell "prestidigitation", one try only, no reading :smalltongue:

EDIT:
Being the DM would suck... perhaps you get 50 reality points and no attribute points when you are the DM?

ForzaFiori
2011-03-11, 02:47 PM
You have mention of a player gaining 10 skill points, but no mention of skills or what they're used for... Do you get to just keep them until someone uses reality points to make skills, or had you not quite gotten to that part yet?

sankai
2011-03-11, 05:38 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. I didn't expect to receive this much attention. I will try to address them. At Land Outcast: I see your point, and I like your idea of giving the DM more attribute points.

Edit: I followed your suggestion.

At ForzaFiori: The fact that the skillpoints are in there is a typo. I was originally going to leave skills out for the players to create.

At Dalek-k: The rules can be changed to create a different randomness mechanic. I wanted something easy to remember for beginners. Players are certainly welcome to change things around with their reality points. Also, I'm not sure if counterable rules should apply. It seems like the game would become a rules war if that were to happen. The only valid way I could think of to do that would be to add rules on top of existing ones that modify them.

At Aergoth: I suppose I am counting on player maturity. :smallwink: