PDA

View Full Version : Vampire (oWod) question

Jeivar
2011-03-11, 12:03 PM
Yes, I'm back with another dumb question about V;tM.

See, I thought I understood the wound and death system, but I was poking through the book and came across this:

Inflicting aggravated wounds on on a severely injured vampire is the most common way in which he can be extinguished. If a vampire has no Blood Pool or Health Levels left, and sustains an aggravated wound, he is utterly destroyed.

Wait, what does the Blood Pool have to do with anything? Does it serve as back-up Health? I thought a vampire died immediately upon being injured below Incapacitated.
Or am I misinterpreting? There are some issues I feel the Vampire: Dark Ages book is rather vague on.

comicshorse
2011-03-11, 12:11 PM

See, I thought I understood the wound and death system, but I was poking through the book and came across this:

Wait, what does the Blood Pool have to do with anything? Does it serve as back-up Health? I thought a vampire died immediately upon being injured below Incapacitated.
Or am I misinterpreting? There are some issues I feel the Vampire: Dark Ages book is rather vague on.

The Dark Ages book is rather poor on this, it being a spin off from regular Vampire they seemed to have assumed everybody would already have the original Vampire rules.
As I understand it if the Vampire is talking non-Aggravated damage, he loses Health levels until he runs out, any further damage takes off Blood Points, when he runs out of those he is in Torpor.
If taking Aggravated damage when you run out of Helath levels, you're DEAD. This, as well as being harder to heal, is why Aggravated Damage is so feared

Caliphbubba
2011-03-11, 01:55 PM

I think that it is assuming that if you have Blood Points left, and you are at Incapacitated you will use the Blood to Heal to above Incapacitated.

Its worded very poorly.

I'd go by this found on pg217 of the Revised Core rules:
"If your character falls to Incapacitated due to bashing(or lethal) damage, then takes another level of bashing(or lethal) damage, she enters torpor."

and be done with it.

Jeivar
2011-03-11, 02:00 PM
The Dark Ages book is rather poor on this, it being a spin off from regular Vampire they seemed to have assumed everybody would already have the original Vampire rules.
As I understand it if the Vampire is talking non-Aggravated damage, he loses Health levels until he runs out, any further damage takes off Blood Points, when he runs out of those he is in Torpor.
If taking Aggravated damage when you run out of Helath levels, you're DEAD. This, as well as being harder to heal, is why Aggravated Damage is so feared

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

The_Jackal
2011-03-11, 02:28 PM
VtM Revised Edition clarifies the rules pretty well. If you're incapacitated for any reason, and take one aggravated wound, you're a goner. Losing blood points from taking non-aggravated damage is just to minimize the yo-yo effect of a vampire being incapacitated and then spending a blood point to get back up, only to be struck down again.

stainboy
2011-03-11, 10:58 PM
Youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKUSz7jeGI&feature=related) to a convention panel where the Dark Ages creator explains her view of unclear mechanics (6:30). Warning: Contains words you can't say on this forum.

A lot of White Wolf writers can't think about rules in a structured way, and if you ask for clarification on an ambiguity it means you don't understand their game. :smallconfused:

Jeebers
2011-04-04, 03:59 PM
Youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKUSz7jeGI&feature=related) to a convention panel where the Dark Ages creator explains her view of unclear mechanics (6:30). Warning: Contains words you can't say on this forum.

A lot of White Wolf writers can't think about rules in a structured way, and if you ask for clarification on an ambiguity it means you don't understand their game. :smallconfused:

Yes, which is why I seriously hated Justin Achilli. He was the epitomy (spelling?) of that kind of behavior. Had a long internet chat with him directly. Personally, when I write a game or game material to clarify or slightly alter published stuff, I LIKE questions. It helps me to properly define the game rules, since sometimes players come up with aspects I haven't anticipated.

If you want, I'll answer questions. I seem to be pretty good at writing, and I know the rules for most of Vampire (modern and DA) in detail. I came up with a lot of house rules to handle areas the game doesn't address, like overland travel times, speed of your horse during combat, etc.

bladesyz
2011-04-04, 04:25 PM
I think that it is assuming that if you have Blood Points left, and you are at Incapacitated you will use the Blood to Heal to above Incapacitated.

Its worded very poorly.

I'd go by this found on pg217 of the Revised Core rules:
"If your character falls to Incapacitated due to bashing(or lethal) damage, then takes another level of bashing(or lethal) damage, she enters torpor."

and be done with it.

The idea is, as long as the vampire has BP left, they can keep trying to heal themselves. It's when they have no blood or health left that they fall into torpor.