PDA

View Full Version : shatter spell

rye0006
2011-03-11, 01:01 PM
What objects can (and should) I use shatter against? can you use it to target enemy weapons?

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-11, 01:03 PM
You can use it against any rigid object. Doors, for instance. Or locks if you want to be a bit more discrete.

Yes, you should totally use it on weapons. No effect on magic weapons, though, and held weaopns get a save.

Olo Demonsbane
2011-03-11, 03:50 PM
Quivers on the other hand...spell component pouches...holy symbols...

Belt Buckles...

Qwertystop
2011-03-11, 03:53 PM
Heavily starched and therefore stiff pants...

bloodtide
2011-03-11, 06:08 PM
Anything and everything.

Shatter is a great spell that can destroy any object.

Some classics:

1.Any door
2.Any lock
3.Anything that is a support, like a rope for a rope bridge
4.Discarded enemy weapons or items
5.Anything important to them. This works great with for example that scroll of secret notes or an idol or the clay tablet of information. It's also a great way to get rid of evidence.

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-11, 07:06 PM
1.Any door
2.Any lock
3.Anything that is a support, like a rope for a rope bridge
4.Discarded enemy weapons or items
5.Anything important to them. This works great with for example that scroll of secret notes or an idol or the clay tablet of information. It's also a great way to get rid of evidence.

5a. material component pouch :smallamused:
5b. bardic instrument
5c. that holly/mistletoe thing that druids use as DF
5d. pacemaker(?)

6. the rope holding the big heavy chandelier up!

Qwertystop
2011-03-11, 07:15 PM
5a. material component pouch :smallamused:
5b. bardic instrument
5c. that holly/mistletoe thing that druids use as DF
5d. pacemaker(?)

6. the rope holding the big heavy chandelier up!

And I still think that shattering pants is the best one. Or heavy armor, the Fighters and Barbarians are unlikely to have a good Will save.

Lyndworm
2011-03-11, 07:17 PM
Doesn't shatter only target rigid objects? That would make material component pouches ineligible for the spell. You might be able to target the material components themselves, however.

I just double-checked... I'm totally wrong. If you use the targeted version of the spell you can affect an object "regardless of composition." Material component pouches are totally viable targets.

Noblesse
2011-03-11, 07:19 PM
I second either the armor or the weapon of a fighter. Armor for medium/heavy armors, weapon if they are wearing light armor.

Aergoth
2011-03-11, 07:22 PM
The floorboards they're standing on. Double points if it's a boat.

No brains
2011-03-11, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't quickly shaking chain mail just tickle?:smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-11, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't quickly shaking chain mail just tickle?:smallsmile:
Depends on how fast its shaking. If it's basically vibrating, it's going to rub you RAW.

Qwertystop
2011-03-11, 08:17 PM
Depends on how fast its shaking. If it's basically vibrating, it's going to rub you RAW.

No, not RAW. Maybe RAI, if you stretch it, but not RAW.
:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-11, 08:22 PM
No, not RAW. Maybe RAI, if you stretch it, but not RAW.
:smallbiggrin:
Ho ho, very funny. Ha ha, it is to laugh.

maysarahs
2011-03-12, 12:28 AM
IIRC the spell excludes armor from being targetted by the spell

Lyndworm
2011-03-12, 12:52 AM
IIRC the spell excludes armor from being targetted by the spell

It only excludes magical items and items weighing more than 10lbs/level. Everything else is fair game. Everything.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-12, 12:53 AM
It only excludes magical items and items weighing more than 10lbs/level. Everything else is fair game. Everything.

Including the sorceress's cocktail dress at the royal gala.

Just sayin'.

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-12, 06:25 AM
And I still think that shattering pants is the best one. Or heavy armor, the Fighters and Barbarians are unlikely to have a good Will save.

How exactly do pants 'shatter'?

It would make an awesome character name, though:
Me? I'm Wilhelm Shatterpants of Unzip!

EDIT: hmm, shatter the DM screen :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2011-03-12, 09:24 AM
Could you really shatter a spell component pouch? I picture them as something like a large medieval money purse, probably leather.

Shatter creates a loud, ringing noise that breaks brittle, nonmagical objects; sunders a single solid, nonmagical object; or damages a crystalline creature.
---
Alternatively, you can target shatter against a single solid object, regardless of composition, weighing up to 10 pounds per caster level.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-12, 10:37 AM
Could you really shatter a spell component pouch? I picture them as something like a large medieval money purse, probably leather.

The semicolons in the description separate different uses, they're not all descriptors of what it can affect. If used as an area, it only affects brittle objects. If used against a crystalline creature, it damages them. If used against a single object, it will destroy it regardless of composition. It becomes less "shatter" and more "shred" when used on leather and such, but it does specifically say the single target version affects things regardless of composition.

But yeah, obviously sundering equipment you don't care about or equipment you're afraid of (the barbarian's greataxe), anything needed for spells, battlefield manipulation in the form of breaking doors and chains... pretty much anything you want so long as it fits within the weight limit.

The problem is the spell doesn't actually define what an "object" is, so it's unclear whether targeting pieces of a larger whole is viable. If the enemy's full plate is too heavy, can you target the buckles that keep it on him or not? Can you target each metal plate individually and ruin it that way? Or is the entire object protected because it says it's 50 lbs. in the Player's Handbook?

The versatility of the spell makes it fantastic for beginning warlocks, though if the emergence of magic items becomes a problem, you can always swap it out.

Moglorosh
2011-03-12, 10:45 AM

If it's not a liquid, and it's not a gas, and it's not plasma, then it's solid.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-12, 11:22 AM
If it's not a liquid, and it's not a gas, and it's not plasma, then it's solid.
Or a Bose-Einstein condensate.:smallbiggrin:

Moglorosh
2011-03-12, 11:32 AM
See, I almost left plasma out, but then I decided that someone would go and do this. Then, lo and behold, I get this. Sigh...

Ravens_cry
2011-03-12, 11:33 AM
See, I almost left plasma out, but then I decided that someone would go and do this. Then, lo and behold, I get this. Sigh...

I am a smart ass. Did I mention I am a smart ass? Well I am.:smalltongue:

maysarahs
2011-03-12, 12:03 PM

Huh, I swear my DM pulled that on me the one time I was in deep trouble, and I couldn't do anything else about it...

veven
2011-03-12, 12:10 PM
I feel like shattering a spell component pouch would be dangerous....

Suddenly and infinite supply of bat guano fills the world.
Everybody dies.

Ormur
2011-03-12, 05:05 PM

I wonder what the gp cost of armour made from metallic hydrogen would be.

Qwertystop
2011-03-12, 05:16 PM
I wonder what the gp cost of armour made from metallic hydrogen would be.

The cost of one epic spell that creates several million d4 cold damage every round to a target indefinitely, plus a mold into which hydrogen gas is released from underneath. A cold immunity item on the wearer is advised.

EDIT: The d4 damage size is to reduce variability, while the enormous amount is to ensure it will work.